News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Former/deceased garages

Started by 2900, January 17, 2016, 10:51:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I would love to  hear stories, memories of former garages, Oldbury,Dudley,quinton,harts hill,lea hall, I know there are many other garages that have fallen , may be some one who knows could compile a full list, services and vehicles types operated on those sites. Every garage I,ve ever been to has its own way of doing things , there own character in a way. Please feel to add or change the thread title.

Squiz1971

I don't have any stories but I have been in a former BCT garage in Barford Street which is now Express Polythene and you can tell it used to be a bus garage as the inside still has that bus garage feel to it though it has been a while since I went into it for anything.

Former garages that I know of are as follows:

Harbourne, Sutton Coldfield(Ex Midland Red) as were Oldbury/Hartshill. Washwood Heath which I have had been inside when I was much younger a school tour of part of the garage area which when you are about 5/6 is awesome. As I have with Selly Oak also, Cotteridge, Quinton, Stourbridge, Hockley, Coventry Road, Lea Hall, Sheepcote Street. Even Dudley had its own bus garage before it got closed down. Wolves with Park Lane and Cleveland Road before Park Lane became the only garage.

Coventry had 2 garages Sandy Lane & Harnall Lane before Wheatley Street was built.

Each garage had a mixture of anything and everything in WMPTE days which was when I was growing up not sure of services but in the 70's for me there was a lot of BCT & WMPTE fleetlines around plus the occasional Crossley/Guy/Daimler open platform buses on the 11 A/C before Metrobuses came onto the scene. Volvo Ailsa's which I saw coming out of the Bull Ring Coach station but never rode one until 4738 at Wythall plus the odd looking MCW bodied Bristol VR's at Walsall & Wolverhampton

In the ex MR garages S16's possibly, S23's, DD11/12/13 ran plus some in the Birmingham garages LS (BC) some still in MR colours 

Leyland nationals were the single decker of choice in them days as some of us older guys know either Mk1's or Mk2's in the 4000's 6000's & 7000's before the renumbering into the 1000's in 1985 just before deregulation. Then the Lynxes became the next generation of singles with 6 Volvo Citybuses I think they were called with the prototype Lynxes for evaluation.

The garages that are still open now were part of the mix too, there are a few other bus/tram garages I am aware of but cannot remember exactly where they are. There is on at Perry Barr by the flyover behind the shops I think which was a former BCT tram garage I believe.

Some people will remember more than this and will elaborate better than me of course

Great title for what could be a great thread @2900

Stevo

When I was nobbut a lad there seemed to be Birmingham City Transport garages everywhere. So many have been demolished. There was Cotteridge that had a narrow entrance between two public toilets. Rosebery Street was down a grotty back street off the Dudley Road and they had to keep the main doors closed or local lads would get in and cause mischief. Moseley Road was in a posh area (once) and the depot had to be hidden away behind the offices. (It's still there.) Liverpool Street I remember particularly because there was a slaughterhouse nearby and there was always a strange smell in the air. Then there were the Midland Red garages. Once I went to Oldbury and someone had managed to drive an S17 single decker into the pits. Oops! Wolverhampton and Walsall had trolleybuses which made life interesting. At Cleveland Road depot before it was rebuilt all buses had to reverse out onto the main road - rather awkward. Happy days for an enthusiast, though!

Squiz1971

Moseley Road became a training centre for a while if I remember correctly.

Solo1

Wasn't Pattersons used as an outstation in elliot rd Selly Oak now flattened

Solo1

Miller St is another one closed down used for your bus then as a storage
for reserve fleet now depot used for somethink else open yard still used

Squiz1971

Quote from: Solo1 on January 17, 2016, 12:47:55 PM
Miller St is another one closed down used for your bus then as a storage
for reserve fleet now depot used for somethink else open yard still used
MS was one of the tram depots before it became a bus garage after the trams were withdrawn as was the old AMRTM by the Villa Ground. Miller Street's main Depot building was sold off for warehouse space I think but don't quote me though someone will have more accurate info than me.

Gareth

For me, my love will always be with Washwood Heath garage. Part of which still survives as Greens Supermarket. Ran the 7 Trolleybus from City Centre to Nechells, the 8 tram to Alum Rock and the 10 tram to Washwood Heath. Trolleybuses went during the war and became a bus garage in 1950 operating routes 55 and 56.

During my childhood years, the fleet remained very constant with Fleetlines and Metrobuses. Lynxes came in 1991, Metroriders came late on 1996/7 and the last new buses were Alx100 minibuses. Garage closed 1998.

Noteable buses operated were prototype metrobuses 6831 and 7007, A Titan demonstrator as well as 7001 and Rebodied Fleetline 5531 (BON531C)

Squiz1971

When I was living around Washwood Heath 1970's the routes for me were the 26,28,55,93,94,161 & 171 with dual door NOV-G buses operating occasionally not sure about the 56 as I think Liverpool Street (Birmingham Central) then ran the 56 to Marston Green.

Though living on the Washwood Heath Road the 93/94 161 & 171 were the main routes I saw every day

The Titan demo I remember seeing on the 94 on Bull Street the once thinking wow. I think all the Titans ran at WH before transferring to other garages could be wrong of course as did all the prototype Metrobuses before transferring to their main operating depot as the MCW factory was not far from WH garage at the time.

winston

There was also the Tyburn Road Works, Walsall Works & Perry Barr Training Centre behind current PB garage

Solo1

Quote from: Winston on January 17, 2016, 01:14:43 PM
There was also the Tyburn Road Works, Walsall Works & Perry Barr Training Centre behind current PB garage
has any one got a floor plan for the old tyburn rd works &walsall works

Stuharris 6360

There was Stourbridge garage which was an odd one because services departed from inside it, off the top of my head 245/6/8 256/7 250 292/3. Chocolate and drinks machines were provided for passengers use. Certainly wouldn't be allowed these days as vehicles would be moved around while people were inside, the Health & Safety people would have had a field day with it these days.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Gareth

Quote from: Squiz1971 on January 17, 2016, 01:11:27 PM
When I was living around Washwood Heath 1970's the routes for me were the 26,28,55,93,94,161 & 171 with dual door NOV-G buses operating occasionally not sure about the 56 as I think Liverpool Street (Birmingham Central) then ran the 56 to Marston Green.

Though living on the Washwood Heath Road the 93/94 161 & 171 were the main routes I saw every day

The Titan demo I remember seeing on the 94 on Bull Street the once thinking wow. I think all the Titans ran at WH before transferring to other garages could be wrong of course as did all the prototype Metrobuses before transferring to their main operating depot as the MCW factory was not far from WH garage at the time.

To add to your comments, WH operated the original 56 that was replaced by the 93/94 and again the second incarnation in the 1980s that ran to Shard End Via Alum Rock Road. Only 7001 ran from WH, not the other four. 6831 and 7007 were the only pre production metrobuses operated, however some say that 6835 also ran when brand new, but I've never had confirmation of this.

The 161/171 were operated by Coventry Road until WH took on the services in 1985 until 1988.

I also believe that LH had running boards on the 28 and 55, whilst Sutton had boards on the 93 and 94.

monkeyjoe

Quote from: Gareth on January 17, 2016, 04:43:24 PM
To add to your comments, WH operated the original 56 that was replaced by the 93/94 and again the second incarnation in the 1980s that ran to Shard End Via Alum Rock Road. Only 7001 ran from WH, not the other four. 6831 and 7007 were the only pre production metrobuses operated, however some say that 6835 also ran when brand new, but I've never had confirmation of this.

The 161/171 were operated by Coventry Road until WH took on the services in 1985 until 1988.

I also believe that LH had running boards on the 28 and 55, whilst Sutton had boards on the 93 and 94.

Other routes I remember in that area which didn't last too long was the 25 a response to Stevensons running a route Erdington - Shard End.  I remember them bring out a 25 to compete which at one point was covered by a ma mouth extension of the 377 running from Walsall via Sutton, Erdington, Bromford , Shard end to C Wood.

The 92 a variation of the 56 however at this point running via Castle Bromwich Green and Washwood heath Rd.

At one point I think the 26 was extended to Kingshurst to cover the 92, however that failed due to length of the route.

WH i think had quite high standards back in those days (based on perception of course).

Other Walsall Tony

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 17, 2016, 04:19:16 PM
There was Stourbridge garage which was an odd one because services departed from inside it, off the top of my head 245/6/8 256/7 250 292/3. Chocolate and drinks machines were provided for passengers use. Certainly wouldn't be allowed these days as vehicles would be moved around while people were inside, the Health & Safety people would have had a field day with it these days.

A little outside the West Mids, but Belper is still like that, I believe

The second Midland Red garage in Wolverhampton is still standing, as is that at Lichfield.

The first BMMO garage was in Bilston St, where the Police station now stands. In the 1970s the Black Country Museum used it to store its early vehicle, Walsall 862, West Brom 174 and W'ton 433.
Tony

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk