News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

John Fishwicks & Sons Ceases Trading

Started by PM, October 24, 2015, 03:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PM

Don't know to what extent people have seen or heard about this already, but JFS is ceasing trading today, which is their last day of service. Stagecoach have already announced they will be taking on the 111 service http://bit.ly/1NZvscY Dialogue must be ongoing atm between operators and LCC as to who's covering their other services. I gather they also have a number of school/college services that may be uncovered/up for grabs from other operators.

All in all, a sad end for a very long established operator, over 108 years old! We're seeing a steadily reducing number of operators this year with a number of famous names ceasing bus operations. Guess there must be a lot of funding pressure in the industry atm with BSOG, Concessionary Reimbursement, supported services cuts. However, I still maintain that operators innovating, marketing and investing are reaping the rewards, we're seeing the first patronage growth in some areas for many years. I gather they were already under pressure from Stagecoach, just seems a very sudden end. Sad for drivers, customers and the area as a whole, they always looked so smart and professional.

I guess it does help to strengthen existing operators in the area, potentially Stagecoach or even Preston Bus could pick up work out of it and potentially decent used buses for sale as well.

Wonder how many other small/independent operators or even larger group garages are teetering on the brink, losing money and want to throw in the towel at any moment...

the trainbasher

Blimey. That was unexpected! Wonder what's happened to cause that

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

winston

Might well present an opportunity for Preston Bus to expand, Stagecoach obviously have made sure they've got first dibs on Fishwicks main 111 route

Alex

Wonder if Stagecoach will take on the Mon-Fri service on the 115? Would make sense as they operate the Saturday service already. Shame though, as every time I've been up there, JFS seemed like a good operator.

I reckon Preston Bus could possibly take on the 109 (albeit confusingly as the two 109's follow different routes at some point), as a possible reason for the additional Citaros due at Preston, maybe (?), but then Stagecoach and Preston Bus would be directly competing with each other once again...

Preston depot will need an additional 7/8 vehicles to operate the 111, so i'd expect more 54/55/06 plate ADL Darts to show up...

According to the DartSLF forum, 16 of the ex-John Fishwick and Sons drivers are starting at Stagecoach, and I hope that the others find alternative employment as they are always friendly when i'm there.

Either way, i'm looking forward to the next time i'm up there...
Hypocrites are like flares... a right pain if one goes near you, and really annoying to get rid of...

My YouTube channel: Alex Jones

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjxo69BfENu3fiWuzCNYyg

winston

Maybe Preston Bus might takeover the 109 & 115? The 3 ex Yourbus Citaro's were due to release cascades from Preston, in light of the sudden closure of Fishwicks, maybe those extra buses could allow PB to take on the above routes at short notice.

gc802002

Quote from: Winston on October 24, 2015, 07:45:57 PM
Maybe Preston Bus might takeover the 109 & 115? The 3 ex Yourbus Citaro's were due to release cascades from Preston, in light of the sudden closure of Fishwicks, maybe those extra buses could allow PB to take on the above routes at short notice.

Stagecoach upped the anti on the 109 only this week, going from running 2 buses an hour to 3 an hour on the 109 so I doubt that corridor will need replacement?

The 115 might be a good shout for Preston Bus However?

winston

Quote from: gc802002 on October 24, 2015, 08:38:28 PM
Stagecoach upped the anti on the 109 only this week, going from running 2 buses an hour to 3 an hour on the 109 so I doubt that corridor will need replacement?

The 115 might be a good shout for Preston Bus However?

I wonder if it's increased competition from Stagecoach that has tipped JFS over the edge.

Reece

Quote from: Winston on October 24, 2015, 08:40:57 PM
I wonder if it's increased competition from Stagecoach that has tipped JFS over the edge.
@Winston Exactly what I am thinking is Stagecoach wanted the 109 to their selfs and they really wanted the 111 because it was a good health route and if that ment JFS going to the wall then so be it with Stagecoach they wouldn't care because they have got what they wanted!!! >:( >:(

winston

Quote from: Reece on October 25, 2015, 08:52:57 AM
@Winston Exactly what I am thinking is Stagecoach wanted the 109 to their selfs and they really wanted the 111 because it was a good health route and if that ment JFS going to the wall then so be it with Stagecoach they wouldn't care because they have got what they wanted!!! >:( >:(

It's typical Stagecoach antics, they've got what they wanted without having to purchase Fishwicks. It's suggested elsewhere that the administrators were called in last Thurs, I'd have thought they will have tried to sell the business beforehand & the administrators will have looked at all possibilities of a sale rather than closure. Anyone who was interested in Fishwicks would have been up against Stagecoach, it would have been an ideal bolt-on acquisition for Rotala to add to Preston, but it could have also resulted in increased competition in Preston between the two. I suspect Fishwicks may of had too many liabilities to make a sale worthwhile i.e debt

Ashley 60171

Commander YJ53VDT and Centro YJ07JWD plus a second as yet unknown ex Fishwicks Commander are now with Routemaster Buses, Nantwich

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk