News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

General Metro Thread

Started by John, April 06, 2015, 02:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth

Tram 34 was on test from Bull Street to New Street this morning.

Gareth

Does anyone know why Corporation Street is being dug up again at various places? The tarmac is being replaced by cobbles at various points. Purely cosmetic, or is there a useful reason?
There also looks to be some repair work being carried out where the rails join the tarmac.

Stu

Quote from: Gareth on January 18, 2022, 05:49:56 PM
Does anyone know why Corporation Street is being dug up again at various places? The tarmac is being replaced by cobbles at various points. Purely cosmetic, or is there a useful reason?
There also looks to be some repair work being carried out where the rails join the tarmac.

I think I read a comment elsewhere - perhaps the Birmingham Mail website - where someone had noticed part of the new delta junction was already being dug up and replaced, though I'm not sure if thats related to the works already ongoing on Lower Bull Street.

I don't know about the 'cobbles' though, it may be cosmetic or there may be some other reason to do with cyclists.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Gareth

Quote from: Stu on January 18, 2022, 05:59:38 PM
I think I read a comment elsewhere - perhaps the Birmingham Mail website - where someone had noticed part of the new delta junction was already being dug up and replaced, though I'm not sure if thats related to the works already ongoing on Lower Bull Street.

I don't know about the 'cobbles' though, it may be cosmetic or there may be some other reason to do with cyclists.

Is the delta junction the bull street / corporation street junction? No tracks are being dug up. Just work to the tarmac in various places.

Ginger66

Surely there is going to be a two month period where trams are not running when the Delta junction linking the line between Wednesbury and Dudley to the current line.   

Then commuters will be moaning why wasn't this delta junction done during the period when the trams were taken out of service for major repairs.

mikestone

There shouldn't be - surely the new junctions will be on sleeper track?

Ginger66

walked past the Edgbaston stop at five ways and the stop still as work to do and it looks the tie into the footpath needs to be started.

Stuharris 6360

Has there been any information about when the Edgbaston and Wolverhampton train station extensions are likely to open?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Gareth

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on February 03, 2022, 03:06:58 PM
Has there been any information about when the Edgbaston and Wolverhampton train station extensions are likely to open?

Considering they are still only running to Bull Street I'd say it was still some time away!

DJ

Quote from: Gareth on February 03, 2022, 05:23:27 PM
Considering they are still only running to Bull Street I'd say it was still some time away!

The line through to Library should've reopened last weekend, but it got pushed back another week. Fingers crossed it happens this weekend! I did notice that the works along the line down to Grand Central have all disappeared now, which is a good sign.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Stevo

I hope so! It really angers me that the stops in Corporation Street and at Grand Central show full timetables with absolutely nothing to indicate there's no tram service.

DJ

Quote from: Stevo on February 05, 2022, 09:02:31 AM
I hope so! It really angers me that the stops in Corporation Street and at Grand Central show full timetables with absolutely nothing to indicate there's no tram service.

There were posters up at the stops, along with the LED screens not showing any departures, whenever I've walked past those stops.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Stevo

mikestone

Has anyone got a link to the plans for Wolverhampton station - I found the T&W order itself, which refers to the line becomming single before the station stop, but from recent photos this does not seem to be the case - indeed there appears to have been little progress since I was last there in September - the section outside the station isn't even connected to the section in Railway Drive.
https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/wolverhampton/2022/01/26/wolverhamptons-metro-extension-in-final-stages-of-construction-with-opening-date-to-be-announced-soon/
would appear to be rubbish - note also the reference to overhead wires.

Gareth

Quote from: Stevo on February 07, 2022, 07:10:00 PM
Absolutely nothing now!

This afternoon Corporation Street and Grand Central had scrolling displays saying 12 minute service between St George's and Bull Street

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk