News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

General Metro Thread

Started by John, April 06, 2015, 02:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ

Quote from: Westy on May 16, 2021, 08:01:21 PM
It's been some time since I've been that way, but can you do that manuvour in both directions, as it's a dual carriageway & I don't recall too many gaps in the middle?

Yeah, there's Moxley Junction roundabout there, which is also on the regular 79 route.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

T840MAK

Tram 40 was delivered to Wednesbury yesterday.
Twitter @TomCousins60054
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/modeltrains33/

DJ

The whole line's been suspended from today, due to a vehicle fault.

QuoteWe have been informed by the vehicle manufacturer that they have identified a fault which is affecting some of our trams. As a precautionary measure, we have taken the decision to remove all 21 trams from service until all trams have been inspected.

We are working alongside the manufacturer, CAF, to restore services as quickly as possible.

There's ticket acceptance on the 74/79 and on WMR/Avanti trains.

https://westmidlandsmetro.com/using-the-metro/service-status/

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Gareth

Corporation street being dug up and looks like tracks are being replaced. Is it normal for tracks to only last a few years?

Westy

Quote from: Gareth on July 25, 2021, 05:36:28 PM
Corporation street being dug up and looks like tracks are being replaced. Is it normal for tracks to only last a few years?

Are all the tracks in Corporation St being replaced?

I was under the impression that they would have to replace the Bull St junction, so they can do the crossovers between the various routes!

Gareth

Quote from: Westy on July 25, 2021, 07:55:46 PM
Are all the tracks in Corporation St being replaced?

I was under the impression that they would have to replace the Bull St junction, so they can do the crossovers between the various routes!

The whole of corporation street is being dug up!

Solo1

They are doing the bull st junction  & while doing that will replace the rails in corporation st this will save having to close it at a later date

Gareth

Quote from: Solo1 on July 26, 2021, 08:45:27 AM
They are doing the bull st junction  & while doing that will replace the rails in corporation st this will save having to close it at a later date

I understand that new junction needs to be built at Bull Street, but why do Corporation Street rails need to be replaced after such a short time after they were originally laid?

Jack

Quote from: Gareth on July 26, 2021, 08:50:09 AM
I understand that new junction needs to be built at Bull Street, but why do Corporation Street rails need to be replaced after such a short time after they were originally laid?
Again, its just turned 9 years ago until they closed it to traffic... if buses were still along there we wouldn't have this problem...

Stevo

Stu

Quote from: Gareth on July 26, 2021, 08:50:09 AM

Quote from: Stevo on August 25, 2021, 07:56:51 PM
Remarkable progress in Corporation Street - go to www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/gallery/week-4-pictures-corporation-street-21384450

I was in the city centre for a short time on Monday afternoon, and had an opportunity for a walk around.

From what I could see, the existing rails are going to be reused (you can see them stacked up alongside the works), it looks like it is all the track-bed that has been dug up and is being replaced.

So if there was nothing wrong with the rails themselves, one has to wonder what this is all about really, unless there are questions to be asked about the quality of the concrete track-bed that was originally installed.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

ellspurs

Quote from: Stu on August 25, 2021, 08:17:40 PM
I was in the city centre for a short time on Monday afternoon, and had an opportunity for a walk around.

From what I could see, the existing rails are going to be reused (you can see them stacked up alongside the works), it looks like it is all the track-bed that has been dug up and is being replaced.

So if there was nothing wrong with the rails themselves, one has to wonder what this is all about really, unless there are questions to be asked about the quality of the concrete track-bed that was originally installed.

I googled "why are they digging up the tracks on corporation street" and was presented this: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/5m-corporation-street-work-dig-21074932

Seems to be something to do with issues of not properly alligned, and doing it when they're closing it to put the junction in so they don't have to close it later.

I'm sure one of us here is more knowledgeable than me and can delve into the detail better.

Tony

Quote from: ellspurs on August 25, 2021, 08:24:25 PM
I googled "why are they digging up the tracks on corporation street" and was presented this: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/5m-corporation-street-work-dig-21074932

Seems to be something to do with issues of not properly alligned, and doing it when they're closing it to put the junction in so they don't have to close it later.

I'm sure one of us here is more knowledgeable than me and can delve into the detail better.

When it was first put in I was told the corner by Stephenson Street ramp had the canver the wrong way and there were various other problems with the quality of the work.

Stevo

It's a bit worrying that the contractor that built the original track is now part of the HS2 project. I don't fancy going at 320 kph over track that has the wrong camber and is misaligned!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk