News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

General Metro Thread

Started by John, April 06, 2015, 02:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: Stu on April 23, 2020, 08:34:38 PM
But as a publicly funded operation, should the West Midlands Metro not be striving to deliver 'best value' for the taxpayers that help to fund it, by doing what it needs to do to reduce operating costs by reducing service levels?

If the service was reduced to half-hourly, that would surely half the number of trams that would be needed in operation, and thus reduce staffing costs, and the service would still be operational for passengers to use, albeit at a reduced frequency?

And even at these reduced service levels, with the passenger usage being as low as claimed, those 'key workers' who need to use this service would still be able to practise recommended social distancing guidelines, just as other passengers have to do on reduced bus services.
If the West Midlands Metro was a commercial operation run by a private company with a view to making profit within the auspicious of The Transport Act 1986 & its subsequent amendments I would agree fully with your points, views and comments as it is currently owned & operated by a wholly owned subsidiary of the West Midlands Combined Authority; a member of the public sector ; I agree only with your comment that there is of course a need to provide a "best value " in its operation to those who actually fund it however there is a social need and necessity which a publically funded service must deliver to those who regularly use it and to this end a public funded service ethically should be continued to be fully funded to its fullest extent possible especially in times of crisis.  It is of note that neither of us use the service, are both I presume UK tax payers; unless you have your own paradise tax free island as one former local so called transport operator owner has; yet both as committed bus users we hold diametrically opposed views on what constitutes a valued public service, very interesting indeed I fully respect your own held views & comments and the valuable work you do for the community in your own website whilst not concuring with the majority of them with regard to a pubically funded operation such as West Midlands Metro.

Ian Hardy

The DfT are not baling out TfL and they have dramatically reduced Underground frequencies. e.g. the Victoria Line normally has a service interval of every 100 - 105 seconds (so about 1 train every 1.5 minutes) during Monday to Friday peak hours, but from 23/03/2020 it was reduced to run every 8 minutes because of reduced usage. However by Friday 17/04/2020 it had to be increased to every 6 minutes due to people not being able to social distance (so the frequency is now 25% of the normal service).

The WM Metro is every normally every 7 - 8 minutes (if I am correct) and has been halved to every 15 minutes, but if the usage is so low then the West Midlands Combined Authority should reduce the frequency further (to same 25% that TfL has done) to ensure that it does not waste money providing a service that nobody is using.

the trainbasher

Quote from: Ian Hardy on April 23, 2020, 10:45:58 PM
The DfT are not baling out TfL and they have dramatically reduced Underground frequencies. e.g. the Victoria Line normally has a service interval of every 100 - 105 seconds (so about 1 train every 1.5 minutes) during Monday to Friday peak hours, but from 23/03/2020 it was reduced to run every 8 minutes because of reduced usage. However by Friday 17/04/2020 it had to be increased to every 6 minutes due to people not being able to social distance (so the frequency is now 25% of the normal service).

The WM Metro is every normally every 7 - 8 minutes (if I am correct) and has been halved to every 15 minutes, but if the usage is so low then the West Midlands Combined Authority should reduce the frequency further (to same 25% that TfL has done) to ensure that it does not waste money providing a service that nobody is using.

Yeah, but London has a labour mayor whereas unfortunately the Midlands has a Tory one.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Ian Hardy

Quote from: the trainbasher on April 24, 2020, 02:05:47 AM
Yeah, but London has a labour mayor whereas unfortunately the Midlands has a Tory one.

Having a Labour Mayor is not the best thing since sliced bread; TfL is broke because of the 5 years of the Fares Freeze (which will never be recovered, that money is lost). The Piccadilly Line is due to get new Siemens trains (built in Goole), but due to the TfL financial problems the re-signalling of the line has been cancelled so the new trains will not be used to their full potential as frequencies and lines speed are now fixed.

I won't mention the Mayor's oversight of the "on time and within budget" Crossrail project.

Bus usage in London has rapidly declined (even before COVID-19); with traffic speeds reducing so much that it is quicker to walk in central London. Many bus routes have been chopped around forcing people to change even when the "consultation" results in over 60% not wanting the change to occur and then the press release outlining the changes i.e. reduction of frequency and shortening of the route say that is a really positive thing.

Also we have Low Emission Zones which if your vehicle does not conform, you can pay to drive your dirty vehicle in the zone and it does not apply to cars & taxis. If you were serious about reducing emissions you would have all non-compliant vehicles banned from those areas and you would not be able to pay to ignore the restrictions.

However I think this is not related to the General Metro Thread so I will stop now.

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: Stu on April 22, 2020, 08:57:37 PM
I saw this earlier too, they can 'piss off'. I've said what I needed to say here:

If passenger numbers are that low, they should reduce the service levels, just like private companies running commercially operated bus services have had to do. Bus users have had to adapt to reduced service levels, tram passengers should surely be able to as well.

The WMCA chose to operate their Metro tram service 'in-house' and this is one of the 'risks' they should have been aware of and been able to plan for.
As expected the DfT have confirmed today a package of measures to the publicly funded Transport for West Midlands to maintain the key services of The West Midlands Metro in order to keep it running.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vital-routes-for-supplies-and-people-kept-open-through-coronavirus-support-package

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: Stu on April 22, 2020, 08:57:37 PM
I saw this earlier too, they can 'piss off'. I've said what I needed to say here:

If passenger numbers are that low, they should reduce the service levels, just like private companies running commercially operated bus services have had to do. Bus users have had to adapt to reduced service levels, tram passengers should surely be able to as well.

The WMCA chose to operate their Metro tram service 'in-house' and this is one of the 'risks' they should have been aware of and been able to plan for.
The Government has confirmed it has given West Midlands Metro a £2.1m support package  which will keep the tram system running to help frontline staff get to work.

It comes as part of a wider £30m funding package for metro services across England announced by the Department for Transport.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said:  "The best way to stop the spread of the virus and protect the NHS is to stay at home – but protecting key transport services is vital to enable essential travel.

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: WyreForestShuttle on May 02, 2020, 07:00:50 PM
The Government has confirmed it has given West Midlands Metro a £2.1m support package  which will keep the tram system running to help frontline staff get to work.

It comes as part of a wider £30m funding package for metro services across England announced by the Department for Transport.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said:  "The best way to stop the spread of the virus and protect the NHS is to stay at home – but protecting key transport services is vital to enable essential travel.
Transport Secretary Grant Shapps has addressed this matter on to Andrew Marr on BBC ONE This Morning &the mind blowing interview is avaliable on the BBCi Player & on the BBC Parliament channel later this of course will be a more acceptable alternative to Aston Villa losing on Sky Sports & BBC Radio WM This Afternoon which has thankfully been postponed.

DJ

There's posters up now informing about a closure between Wednesbury Parkway and Wolverhampton from 29 May - 6 June.

Wolverhampton council will be demolishing the Arthur Street bridge, which necessitates the closure.

Tickets will be accepted on the 79 and on rail services, and there will also be a new 79A route temporarily introduced serving all the tram stops along the affected part of the route.

I've attached a photo of the poster I found at Wednesbury Great Western Street.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

ellspurs

Quote from: DJ on May 15, 2021, 09:59:22 PM
There's posters up now informing about a closure between Wednesbury Parkway and Wolverhampton from 29 May - 6 June.

Wolverhampton council will be demolishing the Arthur Street bridge, which necessitates the closure.

Tickets will be accepted on the 79 and on rail services, and there will also be a new 79A route temporarily introduced serving all the tram stops along the affected part of the route.

I've attached a photo of the poster I found at Wednesbury Great Western Street.

I remember the hassle when they closed that road to build the bridge (when the Metro was being built) in the first place. Why does it need to come down now?

DJ

It looks like the 79A has been added to stops on Google Maps, and the timetable is available from Traveline, which I've attached. Interestingly, it doesn't serve Wednesbury Parkway according to it, so I'm not sure what route it will take between Great Western St and Bradley Lane. My presumption would've been following the 11A to Gospel Oak, and the 23 from there, but with it missing out Parkway, I'm not so sure.

BK63 YWP

Quote from: DJ on May 15, 2021, 11:27:52 PM
It looks like the 79A has been added to stops on Google Maps, and the timetable is available from Traveline, which I've attached. Interestingly, it doesn't serve Wednesbury Parkway according to it, so I'm not sure what route it will take between Great Western St and Bradley Lane. My presumption would've been following the 11A to Gospel Oak, and the 23 from there, but with it missing out Parkway, I'm not so sure.

Is WN going to run the 79A or will WB assist also?
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Westy

Quote from: DJ on May 15, 2021, 11:27:52 PM

Would've thought the Black Country Route in some way?

But I agree, it's daft missing out Parkway, unless it's easier to connect at Great Western Street?

DJ

Quote from: Westy on May 16, 2021, 05:02:37 PM
Would've thought the Black Country Route in some way?

But I agree, it's daft missing out Parkway, unless it's easier to connect at Great Western Street?

I guess that could work, if you then turn left onto Great Bridge Road, and then right onto Bradley Lane. I'd have thought Parkway would be the better option, as there's plenty of space there for buses, and TfWM have even put up a new stop flag recently, although with no text on it.

Westy

Quote from: DJ on May 16, 2021, 05:29:18 PM
I guess that could work, if you then turn left onto Great Bridge Road, and then right onto Bradley Lane. I'd have thought Parkway would be the better option, as there's plenty of space there for buses, and TfWM have even put up a new stop flag recently, although with no text on it.

It's been some time since I've been that way, but can you do that manuvour in both directions, as it's a dual carriageway & I don't recall too many gaps in the middle?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk