News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

If you had the chance to modify or add any service, what would you do?

Started by Alex, November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Ginger66 on February 06, 2019, 07:49:58 PM
Merge both 46 services.  West Brom upto Pheasey then across to Perry Barr to City Centre.

Why would that be needed and who would use it? 
I don't know that area to well, but it already seems well covered, Pheasey - Great Barr -  West Brom is already covered by the 5, and Perry Barr - Great Barr 51, Perry Barr - Pheasey 934, West Brom - City Centre (via Handsworth) - frequent 74 and Handsworth - Perry Barr - 11C.

And how would you merge a every 15 minute route with one that runs every 20 minutes.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Kevin

Quote from: Tony on January 30, 2019, 08:04:51 PM
No passenger demand?
Need more resources possibly making the whole route unviable?

Of course there's demand for it, but what am I to know having only lived there 30 years....
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

CL

I have no idea how Livery Street coped with an excess of ten services running along it at one point, let alone three. I've already submitted a suggestion to National Express, but I thought it was worth sharing here, anyhow.

Just a bit of context; I'd be waiting for a bus in the afternoon peak. As you may have seen in my forum signature, the 101 is one of my local services. Often, it is my first port of call as a means to get home. Granted, I could catch the 16 or 74, but they're often overcrowded - and it's a slightly longer walk to my front door. Overall, the 101 is a little more convenient for me. I've no issues with the 101, however. This is more of a gripe with the placement of the bus stop. Admittedly, I was irked when I found out the 101 would be moving back to Livery Street. I felt as if we've gone full circle, with the Harbornes back at SH1, the Hagley Road on SH2, and what have you.. Nevertheless, it is what it is.

My problem is not so much the 101 moving back to Livery Street, though it may seem that way. My problem lies with Livery Street in the afternoon peak. The slow moving traffic has a knock on effect to those who wait for the buses. I'm not asking for buses to fly, but when there's people waiting for a bus from around the corner, it gets a little tedious. I can't fathom how anyone thought it'd be a good idea to have the 7 & 101 serve the same stop; arguably the two most busiest services of the three.

I'll cut to the chase.

I've put in a suggestion, or two rather, for the 7 to serve the same stop as the 46. Though it won't help with the overcrowding issue on Livery Street, it should help to distribute people more evenly along the street, in theory. My second suggestion would be the move the 7 & 46 to Steelhouse Lane, altogether. Missing out Livery Street and vacating SH6. In moving the 7 & 46 to Steelhouse Lane, it becomes a win-win for all - as you won't have three busloads of passengers crammed onto the narrow pavement on Livery Street. I'm not on the 7 or 46 much, but I see it enough to not see bunching on the route - so that shouldn't be an issue. Also, with Steelhouse Lane being a lay-by stop, the buses ought to keep out of passing traffic's way.

Of course, I won't deny the initial grumble of some people if anything comes out of it. But that's it for this suggestion. *waits to get shot down by keyboard warriors*
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Solo1

Re 7&46  I think most people work around livery st so ideal for them

MasterPlan

I have to say I expected something else to replace the 23/24 at Steelhouse Lane. So I'm quite surprised nothing has. It's a good place for a terminus really, unless you get 4 or more parked up at a time.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Sh4318

If the X7 is due to be withdrawn, instead of just upping the frequency of the X8 between Wolves and Dudley, what I would do, is increase the frequency of the whole route to every 30 minutes on Sundays, then I would replace the 126 with the new X6 between Birmingham and Wolverhampton via the 126 route (limited stop between Birmingham and Quinton/Wolverhampton Road) at the same frequency as the X8.

Then, increase the 9 to every 15 minutes on Sundays, giving Birmingham to Quinton an every 7/8 minute frequency to Birmingham on Sundays (15 minutes from the Stag, and 15 minutes all stops - via the 9)
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Stephen Parry

My life will be complete when the Timesaver branding, and the blue paint, is brought back...

MasterPlan

Before anybody jumps down my throat, I'm not saying this is possible or would definitely work, just my 2p. I'd extend the X21 to Shenley Fields to perhaps help with some of the issues regarding no direct bus to City from there anymore. Terminating at Shenley Gardens where it can easily turn back on itself and take the same route as shown in the picture.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Westy

Perhaps the 326 could go on a one way loop in Bloxwich, to avoid the queue at the Bell Lane lights?

Into Bloxwich via Elmore Green Road, turn left at the police station onto High St, then left into Wolverhampton Rd, then as outward route.

Which bus stop would it wait time at when on time

Pat

Extend the WN10 from Perton to Telford to cover the old Arriva route.

l.murphy123

X51 on Sundays to Cannock. Also perhaps a single late journey to Cannock and back during the week or on a Friday/Saturday night... about 10 or 11pm sort of time. Gives people the option to travel back from a night out or late night out somewhere via bus. Probably wouldn't be well used though as there aren't many connections from Cannock except Friday / Saturday nights you can travel later to Burntwood, Lichfield and Stafford.
Chairman of GWCH Community group and frequent user of...
   NXWM | 31, 34, 59, 60, 79, 529, X51, X529
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71
   West Midland Metro | The Crescent

sonic84

A couple of changes I've often thought about are amending the 13/13A/13B

At present all services run from Warley into the city via Portland Road. I would amend the 13A and 13B so they follow the 12 from Bearwood into the city providing a more direct route into the city centre. (Similar to the old 258)

In turn I would then amend the 80A so that it follows Portland Road into the city maintaining the 10 minute stretch along that section of route.

Quote from: sonic84 on June 13, 2019, 06:04:27 PM

At present all services run from Warley into the city via Portland Road. I would amend the 13A and 13B so they follow the 12 from Bearwood into the city providing a more direct route into the city centre. (Similar to the old 258)

In turn I would then amend the 80A so that it follows Portland Road into the city maintaining the 10 minute stretch along that section of route.
80/80A has looked fairly well used when I've seen it around Bath Row/Icknield Port Road, it'd lose passengers if it no longer serves City Hospital to Birmingham via Ladywood. Can't see that being popular with passengers around Five Ways/City Hospital and Icknield Port Road/Bath Row. Is another service along the Hagley Road and Broad Street really needed?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Jack

Quote from: 2206 on June 13, 2019, 06:10:13 PM
80/80A has looked fairly well used when I've seen it around Bath Row/Icknield Port Road, it'd lose passengers if it no longer serves City Hospital to Birmingham via Ladywood. Can't see that being popular with passengers around Five Ways/City Hospital and Icknield Port Road/Bath Row. Is another service along the Hagley Road and Broad Street really needed?
The 80/80A don't serve City Hospital... the only part of Dudley Road they serve is outside Summerfield Park.

Dom

Quote from: sonic84 on June 13, 2019, 06:04:27 PM

You say more direct. I've had it plenty of times where I've been behind a 12 at the turn onto City Road and I've beaten that bus to The Ivy Bush.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk