News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Midland Metro & Sprint

Started by winston, July 16, 2014, 01:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

Quote from: Russ Smith on July 31, 2014, 01:03:22 AM
Can't see a Sprint route which covers a relatively short section of the 'number nine bus route' which it is based on being of much use unless there is integrated ticketing between bus and Sprint, any idea who's meant to be operating it?

No doubt it will be NX as per the Midland Metro

Thinking about it, Sprint was announced as part of the NX & Centro partnership scheme along with the 300 new buses / gold corridors etc, so it is almost certain NX will operate Sprint

andrew1991

Is there a suitable place for these bendy buses to turn around in Quinton or will something have to be changed ?

andrew1991

winston

Quote from: Andrew on July 31, 2014, 08:51:34 AM
Is there a suitable place for these bendy buses to turn around in Quinton or will something have to be changed ?

The island above Quinton Expressway? Just seen it will terminate at Ridgeway Avenue, Quinton which looks as though that would be used for them to turn around with B'ham bound Sprint's re-entering Quinton, Hagley Road West from College Road. As it's coming that far in to Quinton, I don't know why they don't extend the scheme to Halesowen via Mucklows Hill?

notepanel

Perhaps I am missing something about this scheme, but what is the point?

the trainbasher

Isn't it basically ftr but with a fancier name?

Hell why don't First don't just run it and cascade the existing ftr/hyperlinks here?!

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Trident 4194

In the bus stops in the real time ones with the electronic displays, they were advertising sprint

Kevin

I don't see the point launching yet another type of public transport, what happened to the ideas of extending the metro along Hagley Road and having more of a network of trams?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

D10

Quote from: Kevin on August 10, 2014, 09:51:44 AM
I don't see the point launching yet another type of public transport, what happened to the ideas of extending the metro along Hagley Road and having more of a network of trams?

It comes down to money I guess. This is far cheaper to build than a full scale tramline.

winston

Quote from: D10 on August 10, 2014, 11:08:14 AM
Quote from: Kevin on August 10, 2014, 09:51:44 AM

It comes down to money I guess. This is far cheaper to build than a full scale tramline.

That's the issue with extending the Metro, you only have to look at how much the current Metro extension to New St station is costing, its the work involved in providing the infrastructure to run the trams on that makes the costs spiral.

Sprint will cost a fraction of that, as it can use the current roads with the addition of new stops/priority measures only . The trouble is Sprint is no different to First's 'FTR' project which never took off and First now seem to struggle to find a use for its 'FTR's' you've also got the added problem of finding garage space for what in effect will be artics again.

Kevin

But why a sprint bus route on the Hagley Rd where people on here have claimed previously an express bus will not work?

winston

Quote from: Kevin on August 10, 2014, 01:54:04 PM
But why a sprint bus route on the Hagley Rd where people on here have claimed previously an express bus will not work?

I can only assume that with Sprint will also come further bus lanes/bus priorities where the current peak time bottle necks occur?

Hagley Road 'Sprint' is forecast to cost £15 Million (Colmore Row to Quinton is just under 6 miles)

The current Metro extension from Snow Hill to New Street Station is costing £128 Million (0.7 mile)
The Metro extension from New Street to Centenary Square (new Library) is to cost £3 Million (Under a mile)
The proposed Metro extension from New Street to Curzon Street (New HS2 station) is forecast to cost £50 Million (Under a mile)

Metro route proposals:

Proposed Route1  - https://www.centro.org.uk/media/209716/Route-1.png
Proposed Route 2 - https://www.centro.org.uk/media/209717/Route-2.png

Looking at the proposed routes, particularly 'Route 1' this will no doubt force bus services to terminate even further out of City Centre, as it proposes to use both Lower Bull Street & Carrs Lane

The proposed Metro extension from Curzon St to a new Adderley St, Digbeth Park & Ride is forecast to cost £55 Million (around a mile)

Sh4318

Quote from: Winston on August 10, 2014, 03:16:12 PM
Quote from: Kevin on August 10, 2014, 01:54:04 PM

I can only assume that with Sprint will also come further bus lanes/bus priorities where the current peak time bottle necks occur?

Hagley Road 'Sprint' is forecast to cost £15 Million (Colmore Row to Quinton is just under 6 miles)

The current Metro extension from Snow Hill to New Street Station is costing £128 Million (0.7 mile)
The Metro extension from New Street to Centenary Square (new Library) is to cost £3 Million (Under a mile)
The proposed Metro extension from New Street to Curzon Street (New HS2 station) is forecast to cost £50 Million (Under a mile)

Metro route proposals:

Proposed Route1  - https://www.centro.org.uk/media/209716/Route-1.png
Proposed Route 2 - https://www.centro.org.uk/media/209717/Route-2.png

Looking at the proposed routes, particularly 'Route 1' this will no doubt forces bus services to terminate even further out of City Centre, as it proposes to use both Lower Bull Street & Carrs Lane

The proposed Metro extension from Curzon St to a new Adderley St, Digbeth Park & Ride is forecast to cost £55 Million (around a mile)

Now they're just being ridiculous ::)
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

andrew1991

I wonder if the long time ago proposed line from Wednesbury to Brierley Hill will now be changed to Sprint (Doubtful though)

Kevin

Quote from: Andrew on August 10, 2014, 04:07:50 PM
I wonder if the long time ago proposed line from Wednesbury to Brierley Hill will now be changed to Sprint (Doubtful though)

or maybe even just a normal train service?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk