News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Stourbridge Branch Line

Started by bususer12, May 09, 2014, 07:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you prefer

Class 153
PPM

bususer12

Quick question for everyone, which did (do) you prefer?

The class 153's that use to run or the PPM of today.

Poll going as well

Isle of Stroma

Neither of the above. Much prefer a proper bubble car, or a 48xx/Autotrailer combo meself....

nitromatt1

Quote from: bususer12 on May 09, 2014, 07:31:49 PM

Poll going as well

As somebody who knows very little about trains, what does PPM mean?

Trident 4609

Quote from: Matt on May 09, 2014, 07:54:44 PM

Poll going as well

As somebody who knows very little about trains, what does PPM mean?

Parry People Movers?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parry_People_Movers

Rob H

Poll going as well

I don't mind either but if I had to chose one of them then I'd pick the 153 :)
60 Birmingham - Cranes Park
72/72A Solihull Station - Chelmsley Wood
73 Solihull - Heartlands Hospital
X1 Birmingham - Coventry
X2 Birmingham - Solihull Station
A10 Solihull - Cranes Park / Chelmsley Wood

nitromatt1

Ahh, those things! They're quite uncomfortable and I think rather too small for the Stourbridge branch line

Sh4318

Anyone who knows me knows I love Sprinters. I'd happily take a 153 over a 139. I must stay the 139s are very unsufficient at peak times. There's two of them, so couldn't they be coupled together and used in service during busy times
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Stu

Quote from: Sh4318 on May 09, 2014, 08:33:19 PM
Anyone who knows me knows I love Sprinters. I'd happily take a 153 over a 139. I must stay the 139s are very unsufficient at peak times. There's two of them, so couldn't they be coupled together and used in service during busy times

I heard on the radio the other day that the Stourbridge shuttle was out of use, and taxis were being provided as a replacement!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

nitromatt1

Quote from: Stu on May 09, 2014, 08:40:24 PM
Quote from: Sh4318 on May 09, 2014, 08:33:19 PM

I heard on the radio the other day that the Stourbridge shuttle was out of use, and taxis were being provided as a replacement!

Me too, although I heard it was a replacement bus service

trident4370

153 everytime, I find the 139s boring.

Stuharris 6360

I actually like the original bubble cars, the ones in the early 55000 series, they were really good, was a shame when they were moved to Laira depot for the cornish branch line and replaced by 55026, 55032/3/4.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Kevin

To me the PPM seems sufficient, shame to waste anything more substantial on such a short slow service. I did have ideas a while back to extend the metro (that doesn't seem is ever gonna happen now anyway) from Merry Hill to Stourbridge and onto the town branch. Probably would be shot down in flames for that suggestion though
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Tony

Quote from: Kevin on June 07, 2014, 10:56:13 AM
To me the PPM seems sufficient, shame to waste anything more substantial on such a short slow service. I did have ideas a while back to extend the metro (that doesn't seem is ever gonna happen now anyway) from Merry Hill to Stourbridge and onto the town branch. Probably would be shot down in flames for that suggestion though

No very sensible. Other option I liked was to use a bigger PPM Stourbridge to Merry hill to link with the Metro

Stuharris 6360

Aren't PPM supposed to be building some new larger vehicles for the branch?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

DJ

I'd start a new topic since this one is pretty old, but I can't exactly justify starting a new one for exactly the same purpose.
Managed to go on the Stourbridge Branch Line for the first time in years today, the last time I used it was when it had a 153 running it. I've seen a fair bit of praise for the 139, and while it did the job and I'm sure is really efficient with the flywheel stuff, it seemed to just be a bus on wheels, a sorta mini pacer if you will. While I understand it doesn't need to have amazing levels of comfort for such short journeys, it was rather unpleasant, and the interior itself is looking a bit worn out nowadays compared to when it was new. I can't see this being changed or refurbished though until the new franchise is awarded.

Overall, it did the job of getting from the bus station to the main train station, which is what it's meant for. It's far from a pleasant experience though.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk