News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Arriva are complete and utter rip off merchants!

Started by Tony, April 05, 2014, 10:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosville

Next time, should try Birmingham to Carlisle on Avanti West Coast, might get some decent advances [i've seen £27.70 single listed for the direct services], but the normal off peak fare is £105 return, &  valid from 06.15 on a normal weekday

Then Northern, Carlisle to Newcastle, the Northern fare is from £18.70 off peak day return, to £23.60 anytime return.

Always buy split tickets on long distance services

Stu

I'm heading off to Cornwall next month to go visit my brother and his little family.

I originally checked for ticket prices at nationalrail.co.uk, and a return from Birmingham New Street to Penzance (changing at Plymouth) came to £189.90 return.

Which I was initially happy to pay, then I was reminded about using 'split tickets' to save money on long-distance journeys.

Not sure if this one has been mentioned here before but I found the site https://www.splitmyfare.co.uk/

By splitting the journey into five tickets, it ended up costing me £142.97 - the actual cost is £134.70 but the site charges a small percentage of the cost saving, in my case £8.27.

:laugh:
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stu

Not Arriva this time, but just goes to show how the whole train fare setup penalises long-distance travellers.

I'm heading off to Borth in Wales next month again. NationalRail.co.uk is quoting a return ticket at £67.80 from Birmingham New Street to Borth, on the Transport For Wales service to Aberystwyth via Shrewsbury.

Checking on SplitMyFare.co.uk, it is cheaper to buy two tickets, splitting this time at Caersws. 

#1 - Birmingham New Street to Caersws - Off-Peak Return - £32.10 
#2 - Caersws to Borth - Off-Peak Return - £22.70

(Interestingly last time I checked, for a journey in July, which I didn't end up making, the split point was at Welshpool)

Not that much of a saving compared to my last trip, but still, every little helps, as they say.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Isle of Stroma

QuoteNot Arriva this time, but just goes to show how the whole train fare setup penalises long-distance travellers.

I'm heading off to Borth in Wales next month again. NationalRail.co.uk is quoting a return ticket at £67.80 from Birmingham New Street to Borth, on the Transport For Wales service to Aberystwyth via Shrewsbury.

Checking on SplitMyFare.co.uk, it is cheaper to buy two tickets, splitting this time at Caersws.

#1 - Birmingham New Street to Caersws - Off-Peak Return - £32.10
#2 - Caersws to Borth - Off-Peak Return - £22.70

(Interestingly last time I checked, for a journey in July, which I didn't end up making, the split point was at Welshpool)

Not that much of a saving compared to my last trip, but still, every little helps, as they say.

... Or you could get:

Birmingham - Dovey Junction, anytime Day Return £28.30 &
Dovey Junction - Borth, anytime Day Return £4.30

So,  £32.60 ;-) 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk