News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

First to get more work in Herefordshire...

Started by tank90, March 07, 2014, 04:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tank90

In short it would look like that First have been awarded the Hereford to Ross-on-Wye service via Hoarwithy, this service has had many numbers including 37, and now 44/44A. This is not to be confused with the 33 which is the main route from Hereford to Ross-on-Wye via the A49. At present both are run by Stagecoach, but the 44 isnt a popular service as it does seem to follow the old railway route near enough. I only know this from using the service when it was the 37 as my Nan lives on the route. So what buses should they use well solos and the jersey darts personally the J Darts as the are narrow because the lanes get narrow around Hoarwithy.
Just to add the 44A is in direct compertion with the 33. So is this First getting a fire in there belly and if so why can't Diamond!

http://midlandred.net/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1394197010/
Midland Red West, one of the best Companies to serve Redditch, with some of the best buses.

Dan

winston

The only slight problem for First Wyvern is that I understand WCC will be deciding the extent of the cuts in tendered services from Sept, so they may still loose work overall depending on the depth of the cuts.

tank90

Quote from: Winston on March 07, 2014, 05:09:15 PM
The only slight problem for First Wyvern is that I understand WCC will be deciding the extent of the cuts in tendered services from Sept, so they may still loose work overall depending on the depth of the cuts.
Yes a lot of Worcester City Routes in the mill on that, which then begs the question why get rid of Redditch which has a low to no WCC funded routes.
Midland Red West, one of the best Companies to serve Redditch, with some of the best buses.

Dan

StourportSam

Quote from: tank90 on March 07, 2014, 06:57:16 PM
Yes a lot of Worcester City Routes in the mill on that, which then begs the question why get rid of Redditch which has a low to no WCC funded routes.

Erm... because they were making a loss?

winston

Quote from: StourportSam on March 07, 2014, 07:56:22 PM

Redditch wasn't making the size of loss that couldn't have been turned around

tank90

If First had looked at what they had and tried then they could have made money in Redditch insted they chose to run it down. At the end of the day Rotala only paid 1.5 million so it didnt put much of a dent into the 100 million did it?

the problems started when First lost the get up and go, and when that happens thats when you dont make money.

Dan

StourportSam

Quote from: Winston on March 07, 2014, 09:48:02 PM

I know, but at the time First Group was in the process of making a spate of sales around the UK in a short space of time, so a loss maker was logical to get rid of and not be bothered with.

winston

Quote from: StourportSam on March 07, 2014, 11:23:17 PM
Quote from: Winston on March 07, 2014, 09:48:02 PM

I know, but at the time First Group was in the process of making a spate of sales around the UK in a short space of time, so a loss maker was logical to get rid of and not be bothered with.

To be fair I think RH & KR were the only loss making businesses First managed to sell, Wigan, Chester & Wirral & London were all profitable

Justin Tyme

Quote from: tank90 on March 07, 2014, 04:28:32 PM
Just to add the 44A is in direct compertion with the 33. So is this First getting a fire in there belly and if so why can't Diamond!

The 44A will follow the 33 route but isn't a competitive move.  It only consists of positioning journeys - an early morning one from Hereford and an evening one back from Ross.

The 44/A will only require one bus, but it's a rare and welcome gain for First in Herefordshire.  I see Herefordshire Council are doing a consultation exercise over plans to significantly reduce funds for tendered services in 2014-15, so I expect this is why the tender is only for 6 months at this stage.

winston

PD0000480/227 - FIRST MIDLAND RED BUSES LTD T/A FIRST MIDLAND RED, FIRST POTTERIES, DIVIDY ROAD, STOKE-ON-TRENT, ST3 5YY

Variation Accepted: Operating between Herefordshire, Hereford Rail Station and Herefordshire, Rotherwas given service number 78/78A/78B/88/88A effective from 03-May-2014. To amend Timetable.

PD0000480/317 - FIRST MIDLAND RED BUSES LTD T/A FIRST MIDLAND RED, FIRST POTTERIES, DIVIDY ROAD, STOKE-ON-TRENT, ST3 5YY

Registration Accepted
    Starting Point: Hereford Railway Station
    Finish Point: Monmouth Bus Station
    Via: Ross-on-Wye
    Service Number: 34
    Service Type: Normal Stopping
    Effective Date: 04-MAY-2014
    Other Details: Sundays and bank holiday Mondays.

PD0000480/318 - FIRST MIDLAND RED BUSES LTD T/A FIRST MIDLAND RED, FIRST POTTERIES, DIVIDY ROAD, STOKE-ON-TRENT, ST3 5YY

Registration Accepted by SN
    Starting Point: Hereford, Country Bus Station
    Finish Point: Ross-on-Wye, Cantilupe road
    Via: Hoarwithy
    Service Number: 44
    Service Type: Normal Stopping
    Effective Date: 31-MAR-2014
    Other Details: Monday to Saturday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk