News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Landslip!

Started by Stu, February 15, 2014, 06:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth

I'm always surprised that Chiltern isn't as busy as it deserves to be. I've been on busy trains, but I have never had to stand. Large comfortable seats and free wifi. And for an extra 20-40 minutes travel time, I think they are worth every penny. I'd choose them over Virgin and London Midland any day.
And Marylebone is so easy to get into Central London too. A shame I won't get to try a NBFL on the 453 this weekend.

trident4370

Quote from: Gareth on February 02, 2015, 02:50:34 PM
I'm always surprised that Chiltern isn't as busy as it deserves to be. I've been on busy trains, but I have never had to stand. Large comfortable seats and free wifi. And for an extra 20-40 minutes travel time, I think they are worth every penny. I'd choose them over Virgin and London Midland any day.
And Marylebone is so easy to get into Central London too. A shame I won't get to try a NBFL on the 453 this weekend.
I've got to say I agree there, I always use Chiltern anyway when I can, had to make an exception on my last visit 2 weeks back and endured a 350 to Euston... never again. It works out better for me anyway as my bus stops right next to Moor St, so that 'extra' travel time is made up by not having to walk from New St, or wait in the cold, and I can grab a brew as I always book on the Loco set ::)

Also back on topic it now looks like the line is staying shut until at least the 9th.

Justin Tyme

Yes, Chiltern is the civilised way to London.

With around 20,000 lorry loads of landslip to be removed, I wonder if the line will be out of action for rather more than a week.

Gareth

However Moor Street still have notices up advising the line is closed until at least Tuesday 3rd February. These should have really been updated last night.

the trainbasher

I reckon up to 6 weeks for it to be sorted

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

trident4370

They haven't even started the cleanup operation yet as the land is still moving and it is unsafe.

Sh4318

Quote from: Gareth on February 02, 2015, 07:18:09 PM
However Moor Street still have notices up advising the line is closed until at least Tuesday 3rd February. These should have really been updated last night.

The notice said until further notice when I saw it.

XC services (to Reading/Southampton/Bournemouth) are terminating at Leamington. Don't know what's happening between Bournemouth and Banbury
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Gareth

Quote from: Sh4318 on February 02, 2015, 10:17:49 PM

XC services (to Reading/Southampton/Bournemouth) are terminating at Leamington. Don't know what's happening between Bournemouth and Banbury

The digital display did say until further notice, but the printed notices on boards around the concourse said 3rd Feb.

Sh4318

Quote from: Gareth on February 02, 2015, 10:20:11 PM

The digital display did say until further notice, but the printed notices on boards around the concourse said 3rd Feb.

Ahh, I see. There appears to be a lack of clarity on this. Xc are saying disruption's expected until at least the 8th February.

Im very lucky I don't have to use this line in the near future
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Quote from: Sh4318 on February 02, 2015, 10:29:03 PM
Quote from: Gareth on February 02, 2015, 10:20:11 PM

Ahh, I see. There appears to be a lack of clarity on this. Xc are saying disruption's expected until at least the 8th February.

Im very lucky I don't have to use this line in the near future

XC services between Banbury and Bournemouth are running as normal as for the line itself, it's gonna be at least the weekend but looks as though it could be up to a month depending on what exactly has happened and how bad it is

windy miller

I think many of the F/liner services between Crewe and/or Leeds Southampton must be taking a different route...not sure which one :-\ 
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

B61 ANDREW

In the best part of 3 hours today I logged 30 vehicles on replacement work [or standing by] at Leomington Station. By then some of the first ones I had seen depart for Banbury had started to return and I was also starting to feel the cold. :o

Stuharris 6360

It could be several weeks or even longer, from what i have heard the earth is still moving and they cannot start removing anything until it stops.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

JoNi

Network Rail website says until next Monday!!!!!

Stuharris 6360

Chiltern are saying,

"Our railway runs through a deep cutting between Banbury and Leamington Spa at a location called Harbury. This embankment has been a particular problem since it was first built by Brunel in the 19th century, as it was originally intended to be built as a tunnel. This results in an unusually steep embankment, with a lot of earth and stone above the railway line.

This embankment is under a regime of careful monitoring to protect the safety of trains running along this line.
There was a landslip on this embankment on February 14 last year in which some earth and stone fell onto the railway. This was resolved at the time and further monitoring put in place and work undertaken to seek to resolve things for the longer term, with a speed restriction past the site.

However, a major fault line has now opened up in the embankment. This fault is around 150 metres long. While no earth has fallen onto the tracks, there is now a very serious risk of earth and rock falling onto to the railway as there is movement in the earthwork above. We estimate that there is around 350,000 tonnes of earth and stone that needs to be excavated to remove the risk of these moving towards the tracks or being dislodged by the vibrations of a passing train. We anticipate this may require around 20,000 lorry loads of earth being removed from the site.

We obviously never make compromises with regard to safety, therefore the railway must be closed until we can be certain that the embankment is safe."

and this is the latest report from BBC News

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-31109281
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk