News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

LED/dot matrix malfunctions

Started by 4504, May 08, 2012, 10:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Has anyone ever wondering how blind malfunctions occur, for example, 4297, 4170, 3610, 4628 and 4529 rear dot matrix screens show up with a green computerised line going down the top, middle or side of the screen. Some LED screens also have a similar problem were there is an orange dot on the top left of the screen, i.e. 1827 or 1832 - can't remember, 4097, 1797. What causes them to happen? How come they don't get fixed?

Here is an example below, took it myself  ;)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/madabouttransport/6995313094/in/photostream/

Ash

I always thought that line appeared when a driver turned the engine on and the destination display reprogrammed itself and then the destinations and service number appeared, is the 3610 the dart with the faulty side destination blind as one of them has been like it years the lettering is all squished up and not readable. I always think the LED ones seem more reliable and alot easier to read and suit buses much better makes them look alot more appealing. Also i think other garages should adopt what WV,WB and PE have done and have the destination appearing on the back of the LED blind at the rear with it changing to and from the route number.

No, you're thinking of 3602, with the faulty side destination display, 3610 has a faulty rear display, it's just a green line in the middle of the display. Yeah I do agree LEDs are better, some other faulty LEDs are 4096 and 4077, they seem to have covered the destination displays with black paint, even though 4077's display is still slightly visable

Quote from: Ash on May 08, 2012, 10:33:26 PM
I always thought that line appeared when a driver turned the engine on and the destination display reprogrammed itself and then the destinations and service number appeared, is the 3610 the dart with the faulty side destination blind as one of them has been like it years the lettering is all squished up and not readable. I always think the LED ones seem more reliable and alot easier to read and suit buses much better makes them look alot more appealing. Also i think other garages should adopt what WV,WB and PE have done and have the destination appearing on the back of the LED blind at the rear with it changing to and from the route number.

Why is this? How do they actually manually access to rear destination displays in alx400s? I've noticed they taken the dot matrix display out of 3608 now, what accident did 3608 have?

Quote from: thetruth on May 08, 2012, 10:39:08 PM
3602 has had a faulty side blind for ages, this was the one with the squashed up writing at some stage.

3608's side and rear blind have been non functional since its accident.

3610's rear blind has never worked since it has been up here. Has always had a line of dots running down the middle.

Ash

I know also 4049 also had the yellow dot up the corner and is not working last time i saw it, seems like WB are not sorting these issues out especially with the darts and they only have 14 of them to maintain and 3 have some sort of faulty displays. Also with the darts there where with Connex orginally then travel londoon  and so used paper blinds, so why when they were transferred to West Brom the front have LED and the side and rear have Dot matrix i thought it would make sense to use one type only.

I agree, it works well, even some blue diamond buses have this, but the destination is sliding rather than just still. I think they call it a video display

Quote from: Ash on May 08, 2012, 10:33:26 PM

Ash

One of the ex Acocks Gemini's now at WB still has the 'im a smart bus' on the display  but i dont know the fleet number of it

MW

Quote from: Ash on May 08, 2012, 10:46:01 PM
One of the ex Acocks Gemini's now at WB still has the 'im a smart bus' on the display  but i dont know the fleet number of it

Tony's got a photograph of it I think.

I suppose if it's at the back, I.e. 4297, 4272, 3610, 3608, 4049, 4096/7 it's not that bad, but if it's at the side, I.e. 3602, 3608, I think it needs to be sorted out. You may have noticed how some Mercs don't have a side display, I.e. 1518, 1521, 1528, 1540, 1560, 1587, 1593, 1613, 1618, 1621, 1626. 1706 side display is always blank

Quote from: Ash on May 08, 2012, 10:42:23 PM
I know also 4049 also had the yellow dot up the corner and is not working last time i saw it, seems like WB are not sorting these issues out especially with the darts and they only have 14 of them to maintain and 3 have some sort of faulty displays. Also with the darts there where with Connex orginally then travel londoon  and so used paper blinds, so why when they were transferred to West Brom the front have LED and the side and rear have Dot matrix i thought it would make sense to use one type only.

Yeah, I believe it's 4527

http://wmbusphotos.com/NXWM/4475-4699/4512.html

On the subject I've geminis, I'm rather glad the '03 examples have transferred to WB, they sound a little different to the '06 examples, and they've really grown on me, I think they suit the soho road corridor well, you get a decent amount of geminis on upper bull street nowadays

MW

Quote from: 4504 on May 08, 2012, 10:57:44 PM

On the subject I've geminis, I'm rather glad the '03 examples have transferred to WB, they sound a little different to the '06 examples, and they've really grown on me, I think they suit the soho road corridor well, you get a decent amount of geminis on upper bull street nowadays

That's 4512.

WB is good while AG get lumbered with Presidents everywhere lol.

Yeah, I meant that  :P
Many thanks to AG  :). Hope the presidents are good condition  ;)

Quote from: Michael on May 08, 2012, 11:03:11 PM
Quote from: 4504 on May 08, 2012, 10:57:44 PM

That's 4512.

WB is good while AG get lumbered with Presidents everywhere lol.

Ash

Yeah thats the bus 4512, also 6021 bendi bus at NX Coventry is the only bus i know left that still has the number on the left side of the front display and has been like this since new, even after the reprogramming for the network review at Coventry

MW

Quote from: Ash on May 08, 2012, 11:28:28 PM
Yeah thats the bus 4512, also 6021 bendi bus at NX Coventry is the only bus i know left that still has the number on the left side of the front display and has been like this since new, even after the reprogramming for the network review at Coventry

Actually another AG Gemini or ex AG Gemini's back display doesn't work.

One of the Presidents at AG has its rear LED fallen out of place and you see half of it.

lgr

There was one time when I was waiting for the 61/3 on Priory Queensway and a Blue Diamond Optare came up on the 37, and the display was just completely broken, it was scrolling through all the equations and mathematical stuff that goes into an LED display, it was so odd. I can't remember what it was exactly, but it was just stuff like "R=110/9 x5=3" etc, on the front, side and the back. The only reason I knew it was the 37 was because the driver had to shout it out when he pulled up to the stop so people actually knew to get on!

I often wish I'd got a picture of it now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk