News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Discount Travel Solutions

Started by winston, October 30, 2013, 07:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Stephen Parry on April 07, 2019, 06:24:33 PM
This is an observation, feel free to disagree.

When I've seen Discount Travel buses, am I correct in thinking the drivers don't have uniforms? I haven't seen any uniforms on the 11 services.

It just feels cowboy-ish. It's not the most important thing, but a uniform represents the company. It also shows that a company means business. When North Birmingham Busways started, I thought their bus colours and uniforms were very smart.

If you can't even provide uniforms for your driver, are you really committed to the industry?

I could be wrong and I am a person who will listen to all views about this, for or against.

My opinion for what it is worth.  A bus companies drivers are there public face, and a uniform should be worn, I would even go as far as saying that it should be in the law that a uniform is worn. If a bus pulls up and the driver is wearing a pair of jeans and a t shirt, you are not sure who he is to start with. Is he actually a driver or is he just someone the company has found at short notice to drive the route and (worst case scenario) doesn't have a PCV licence at all.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

justlookingaround

Not so expensive to buy a pack of shirts and a few pairs of trousers out of a supermarket.

Solo1

That goes for other small operators or us it more important to have buses out then smart uniform

Grinder

Loads of companies supply smart Polo Shirts with logo's onb them for a very reasonable cost, so there is no reason why every bus company, large or small should'n't kit their drivers out smartly.

Solo1

1 in wolves has black polo shirt with the name in yellow

DJ

Quote from: Solo1 on April 08, 2019, 08:02:05 AM
1 in wolves has black polo shirt with the name in yellow

Banga? I'm sure I've seen their drivers wearing branded polos before.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Stephen Parry

Thanks for your views, people.

As stated, I don't feel it's the most important thing, but I think a uniform nicely represents a company and makes each driver a representative. I'd say the same about the airline industry. I don't feel the need to see taxi drivers in uniforms as each driver is self-employed; while they do represent an operator (e.g. T.O.A.), it's pretty much a solo job.

I think a company that makes an effort to have good buses (and ones that are cleaned regularly), not make spelling errors for its destinations and provide uniforms is showing its passengers that it takes its business seriously.

Driver on the last 11A of the day is up to his usual things tonight.
Telling passengers he won't be going all the way down Bromford Lane and taking the normal line of route telling passengers already onboard who wanted the stops he is missing out where taking his short cut (who'd already paid to get on) that they have to get off and "wait for the big bus".
KV03ZFN was the bus.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stephen Parry

What's his justification pertaining to that? Why is he doing it?

Quote from: Stephen Parry on April 11, 2019, 05:23:17 PM
What's his justification pertaining to that? Why is he doing it?
Seemingly so he can skip out traffic on the route.
Though it is illegal and he shouldn't be doing it.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stephen Parry

I do not mean to offend anyone here who may work for Discount Travel, but I have never rated them as an operator. And I have heard a few complaints about them over time.

I'm all for the small operator. I caught some Pete's Travel buses when I was young - and felt that they were a great operator. I also thought the 104X service by North Birmingham Busways was a very professional service with drivers who were very friendly.

I just don't rate Discount Travel Solutions. For anyone here who may work for them, I know a wageslip is important and every person, no matter their profession, has a mouth to feed, but I do wish they'd provided a better service.

MW

Quote from: Stephen Parry on April 11, 2019, 05:41:30 PM
I do not mean to offend anyone here who may work for Discount Travel, but I have never rated them as an operator. And I have heard a few complaints about them over time.

I'm all for the small operator. I caught some Pete's Travel buses when I was young - and felt that they were a great operator. I also thought the 104X service by North Birmingham Busways was a very professional service with drivers who were very friendly.

I just don't rate Discount Travel Solutions. For anyone here who may work for them, I know a wageslip is important and every person, no matter their profession, has a mouth to feed, but I do wish they'd provided a better service.

All this talk of people on here saying oh people are about to lose their jobs, be sensitive etc (in reference to both this operator and igo) is a load of bollocks. Those routes are going somewhere else, and so will the positions for drivers needed.

I think you'll find that every single employee, driver at least, of these operators will be able to work for one of the many other operators in the West Midlands fairly sharpish. NX, Diamond & Decourcey to name a few, who'll all bite your hand off to join them. 

Jack D

DTS 966 route has been removed from bus stops.

RK Travel and Discount Travel Solutions have cancelled the 72 service from the end of the year.

PD2000904/1 Cancelled
RAJWINDER KAUR
Route: Chelmesley Wood to Solihull via Radleys
Service number: 72 ()
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 31 Dec 2019

PD1121581/9 Cancelled
DISCOUNT TRAVEL SOLUTIONS LIMITED
Route: CHELMESLEY WOOD to SOLIHULL via RADLEYS
Service number: 72 ()
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 31 Dec 2019

RK Travel have registered the 11 and a variation to the DTS service from January 2020. So looks like the buses taken of the 72 will be going onto the 11.
https://www.vehicle-operator-licensing.service.gov.uk/search/find-registered-local-bus-services/details/540338/
https://www.vehicle-operator-licensing.service.gov.uk/search/find-registered-local-bus-services/details/540311/
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Eric Shaw

I shall miss them on the 72. They seem to have been performing better recently and at least provide a bit of variation on the route, which otherwise seems to be all crimson Geminis.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk