News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

VDL/DAF sb200

Started by Bob, October 19, 2013, 02:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mranon

Mercedes seem to have mastered the perfect bus engine. A lot of NXWMs Mercs have completed over 1 million miles on one engine, and Simon Dunn was praising the Mercedes engined Solos recently. Varios seemed to go on forever as well as tony quoted

this may be the case but look at the facts here - iirc isnt the mercs fitted with a 12 litre straight six normally aspirated engine? if so compared to anything in the last 10 years, engines are bercoming smaller heavily turbocharged with added strain of emissions controls etc. travel on a merc it doesnt sound at all stressed. travel on a long dart/excel/b6 from same era they working their balls off. maintainance is also a key issue to longevity too. i seen b10ms with astronomical mileages without any major issues too.

Bob

Quote from: mranon on November 10, 2013, 10:21:35 AM
Mercedes seem to have mastered the perfect bus engine. A lot of NXWMs Mercs have completed over 1 million miles on one engine, and Simon Dunn was praising the Mercedes engined Solos recently. Varios seemed to go on forever as well as tony quoted

this may be the case but look at the facts here - iirc isnt the mercs fitted with a 12 litre straight six normally aspirated engine? if so compared to anything in the last 10 years, engines are bercoming smaller heavily turbocharged with added strain of emissions controls etc. travel on a merc it doesnt sound at all stressed. travel on a long dart/excel/b6 from same era they working their balls off. maintainance is also a key issue to longevity too. i seen b10ms with astronomical mileages without any major issues too.

Is that why darts etc are so noisy making them a bit unpleasant/unsuitable for longer distance services? And sb200s very loud when travelling at speed? I was on fgd2 ggu last night coming back for walsall ( the rough one with threadbare old arriva trim and at least two other types of seat moquette on different cushions towards tge back lol) and it sounded like it was about to blow up on the 50 stretch along the a34

bwsau cymru

Whats the newest daf commanders on the road, ive seen 57 plates any newer?
campaigning for better transport for all

Cheese

Don't think there are any newer Commanders than 57-plate, there are two 57-plates at Arriva Midlands and 7 at Arriva Yorkshire.  There are quite a number of 07-plate Pulsars so I guess the Commander body was already being replaced, don't know if these were stock vehicles at all?

tphi12000

Quote from: dannygill on November 19, 2013, 03:40:38 PM
Whats the newest daf commanders on the road, ive seen 57 plates any newer?
I believe 3741 was the last one made
Tony

Bob

I think cannocks pair were dealer stock given their interiors same with the centros although one has arriva trim

tphi12000

Quote from: bob on November 19, 2013, 10:28:01 PM
I think cannocks pair were dealer stock given their interiors same with the centros although one has arriva trim
I believe they were all new to Leicester
Tony

bwsau cymru

I agree mercedes are masters of the engine the citaros power is incrediable I think and the buikd quality is brillient, but the new ler mercedes engine are kuch smaller now at 6740 cc so does size matter anymore? I personally think that the gearbox of aj engine alhas so much t do with it and the amou t of gears a vehicle has! For example diamonds new eclipses have the same engine and the bx09 centros the centros are really quick the eclipses slow, thats all down th gear boxes I think (personal option)
campaigning for better transport for all

Liverpool Street

Quote from: dannygill on November 20, 2013, 06:42:51 AM
I agree mercedes are masters of the engine the citaros power is incrediable I think and the buikd quality is brillient, but the new ler mercedes engine are kuch smaller now at 6740 cc so does size matter anymore? I personally think that the gearbox of aj engine alhas so much t do with it and the amou t of gears a vehicle has! For example diamonds new eclipses have the same engine and the bx09 centros the centros are really quick the eclipses slow, thats all down th gear boxes I think (personal option)

Its all about torque delivery at what revs, so basing views on CC and horsepower alone results in invalid views.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

John

Quote from: tphi12000 on November 19, 2013, 11:14:51 PM

Yes they were both new to Leicester

tphi12000

Quote from: John on November 20, 2013, 04:58:32 PM
Quote from: tphi12000 on November 19, 2013, 11:14:51 PM

Yes they were both new to Leicester
yes along with the centros also dealer stock
Tony

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk