News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Questions for the NXWM Operations Director

Started by NX OD, July 24, 2013, 10:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NX OD

Hi,

I am Simon Mathieson, Operations Director at NXWM.  I have read this forum for a while now and always found it interesting.

I would like to offer you the opportunity to ask me questions through this forum and on this thread.  If I can answer I will do so and if not will say so.  I will try to answer questions pretty quickly for you.

I will not get involved or respond on any other threads (even though I might be tempted!).

I hope my presence here will be a benefit and not seen as stifling debate or discussion.

Thanks

Simon

Bob

Hi have you any plans to return to operating in the cannock/Hednesford /staffs area?

NX OD

Thanks Bob.

We had a look at the recent Staffordshire tenders and we have won the X56 tender as a result.

We have no other plans at the moment but would never say never.

driver

when are Pensnetts services up for a review again? Any more busses coming over?

NX OD

Thanks driver.

The 205 and 297 are Pensnett services that are almost under constant review and we are looking at the impact of the recent changes to them.  The other routes that we are having a look at are the 243/44 which seem to be attracting a lot of complaints at the moment - nothing might come of it but they are worth our consideration. 

The 222 is much improved on timekeeping since the change in June.

In terms of buses there are the moves of double deckers across for the 246 but nothing else planned.

Liverpool Street

When, as a company, will they pro-actively do something to target the amount of fraud and drug-users which abuse our services? What don't these people understand that NXWM does NOT operate a free service?! I know its against your morals to spend money but even a proper increase in Revenue staff and daily checks on all routes will subside the problem. Oh sorry, that'll mean spending money.

Seriously though, will Swift card arrangement make any impact on the constant flow of fare evasion?

Regards,

Rat.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

driver

Thanks. any new services coming over to  Pensnett?

Bob

Quote from: NX OD on July 24, 2013, 10:19:19 AM
Thanks Bob.

We had a look at the recent Staffordshire tenders and we have won the X56 tender as a result.

I heard that nx had also won the 2, 25/6 & 33 in cannock but arriva then registered these journeys commercially. Just one other point, the three peak X51 journeys that start/end in cannock are not advertised at all and there are no timetables on any bus stops in the staffs area ( not even in cannock bus station), people wont use it if they dont know it exists etc

NX OD

Thanks Rat.

Over the past 18 months or so the Revenue Inspector team has gone up from 13 to 22 people.  Buses checked and passengers checked have risen some 22% so we are doing more and being more successful.

We have seen some really good results since January 2013 on some corridors, most notably the Coventry Road where the level of fraudulent travel has dropped significantly.

The investment we have made in the PDA machines (that look up people's addresses to make sure they are who they say they are) and the PDQ machines (that allow people to pay their fine by credit/debit card) have meant that we are now recovering a lot more money from people who we catch.

As ever we are driven by drivers pressing the anomaly button on the ticket machine as well as known hotspots.  I am not sure it will ever be possible to have daily checks on all routes but our strategy is to target the major corridors to catch the most people for around 80% of the teams time and spend around 20% on the rest of the network.

I think Smartcards will help but as long as we still issue paper tickets and have some members of public with the mentality that it is OK to 'steal' their travel then we will have fraud.

The Real 4778

Good to see/ read you Simon, and respect where it's due for mentioning that you won't comment on other threads, even though you might be tempted!

We're feeling a little downbeat in Sutton at the moment with newish buses transferring to Walsall and the only discernible improvements the appearance of ex-Coventry Omnilinks to replace the exhausted B10Ls on the 28, plus a general smartening-up of the 2004 Geminis.

Can we expect any new buses on the Sutton routes in the near future, and will there be any expenditure on the 2002 Volvo B7s (the 42XX) to get these looking something like, as they are a fairly scabby bunch these days, it must be said.

Thanks for this opportunity, it's very welcome.
Don't you start.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: NX OD on July 24, 2013, 10:39:30 AM
Thanks Rat.

Over the past 18 months or so the Revenue Inspector team has gone up from 13 to 22 people.  Buses checked and passengers checked have risen some 22% so we are doing more and being more successful.

We have seen some really good results since January 2013 on some corridors, most notably the Coventry Road where the level of fraudulent travel has dropped significantly.

The investment we have made in the PDA machines (that look up people's addresses to make sure they are who they say they are) and the PDQ machines (that allow people to pay their fine by credit/debit card) have meant that we are now recovering a lot more money from people who we catch.

As ever we are driven by drivers pressing the anomaly button on the ticket machine as well as known hotspots.  I am not sure it will ever be possible to have daily checks on all routes but our strategy is to target the major corridors to catch the most people for around 80% of the teams time and spend around 20% on the rest of the network.

I think Smartcards will help but as long as we still issue paper tickets and have some members of public with the mentality that it is OK to 'steal' their travel then we will have fraud.

Thank you for the detailed response, Simon.

Sorry if my post seemed a little 'short' with you, but you must understand that when a so-called passenger walks past you flashing month old tickets, it really does get you down. Its OK for Walsall and training office etc to say let it go over your head but its easily said then done. Every single journey you get the same type of scum; tracksuits, missing teeth, gold chains, etc and its the same people who go upstairs and start smoking, usually marijuana. I know you shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush but on this occasion, I can make an exception.

There is, I've noticed, a sharp increase of mothers refusing to pay for the children over 5. And as always the 2 pushchair rule causes conflict.

But, thanks again Simon, nice to hear a down to earth voice from the top.

Any news you know of for the South West Brum Review? I've posted in the thread on this forum the ones I've heard, can you confirm 100% if those will be finalised?

How much input do you have in such affairs?
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

NX OD

Quote from: bob on July 24, 2013, 10:36:31 AM
Quote from: NX OD on July 24, 2013, 10:19:19 AM
Thanks Bob.

I heard that nx had also won the 2, 25/6 & 33 in cannock but arriva then registered these journeys commercially. Just one other point, the three peak X51 journeys that start/end in cannock are not advertised at all and there are no timetables on any bus stops in the staffs area ( not even in cannock bus station), people wont use it if they dont know it exists etc

I can't say too much more on the Staffs tenders really.

I will ask the team at Walsall to try and make some progress with X51 timetable information 'over the border'.

NX OD

Quote from: The Real 4778 on July 24, 2013, 10:53:02 AM
Good to see/ read you Simon, and respect where it's due for mentioning that you won't comment on other threads, even though you might be tempted!

We're feeling a little downbeat in Sutton at the moment with newish buses transferring to Walsall and the only discernible improvements the appearance of ex-Coventry Omnilinks to replace the exhausted B10Ls on the 28, plus a general smartening-up of the 2004 Geminis.

Can we expect any new buses on the Sutton routes in the near future, and will there be any expenditure on the 2002 Volvo B7s (the 42XX) to get these looking something like, as they are a fairly scabby bunch these days, it must be said.

Thanks for this opportunity, it's very welcome.

Hi Real 4778,

The remaining double deck delivery for 2013 is currenlty earmarked for the Suttons but this has not been finalised as yet.  They may still go elsewhere but it is a corridor we want to improve soon.

There are some plans developing for refurbishment of the 42XX vehicles but it is only early days.

Thanks.

NX OD

Quote from: The Retiring Rat on July 24, 2013, 11:02:01 AM
Quote from: NX OD on July 24, 2013, 10:39:30 AM
Thanks Rat.

Thank you for the detailed response, Simon.

Sorry if my post seemed a little 'short' with you, but you must understand that when a so-called passenger walks past you flashing month old tickets, it really does get you down. Its OK for Walsall and training office etc to say let it go over your head but its easily said then done. Every single journey you get the same type of scum; tracksuits, missing teeth, gold chains, etc and its the same people who go upstairs and start smoking, usually marijuana. I know you shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush but on this occasion, I can make an exception.

There is, I've noticed, a sharp increase of mothers refusing to pay for the children over 5. And as always the 2 pushchair rule causes conflict.

But, thanks again Simon, nice to hear a down to earth voice from the top.

Any news you know of for the South West Brum Review? I've posted in the thread on this forum the ones I've heard, can you confirm 100% if those will be finalised?

How much input do you have in such affairs?

Thanks for the reply.

I think the level of fraud varies greatly by route.  I drive half a shift every month and some trips I carry 100% payers.  I drove on Saturday on the 24 and the 60 and had nobody with a fraudulent ticket (unless they were very good copies) and nobody who tried not to pay.  Last month I was driving on the 37 and took a travelcard from a passenger which had expired in March 2013.

There are no final plans as yet for South Birmingham.  The plans in the other thread have all been discussed and are being evaluated.  All or none of it might happen!  I am very much involved in the process and decisions - you can blame me!

winston

Hi Simon,

Pleased to have your input on the forum & thanks for the opportunitiy ;)

A couple of questions/points from me

1. Did NXWM seriously look in to buying both RH & KR operations from First Group in autumn 2012?

2. Have NXWM now finally standardised on the current livery variation with the current shades of both orange/red & cargo white being applied? As there seems to have been a large number of livery variations over the years, with different shades of red / white / full connector bars / small connector bars on fleetnames etc etc

3. I'd also like to see garages making a concerted effort to paint in accident damage with the correct shades of red / white to help improve the appearance/image of the fleet

4. Is it not about time that the TWM brand was finally eliminated from the NXWM fleet across all garages regardless of livery? It has now been six years since the NXWM brand / livery was first introduced by Richard Bowker, Dundee, Bordesley & Coventry have finally managed to do away with the 'Travel' brand, can all TWM logos not be replaced on currently liveries? In WMT / WM Buses & TWM days a large proportion of logos would have been changed over a weekend with the remainder done within a couple of weeks of a name change.

5. Are the remaining 26 x E400's due from NX 2013 orders in addition to the 300 new buses due by June 2015 or included in that quantity?

On a positive note re: livery the latest shades of red/white currently being applied & standards of refurbishment appear far superior, keep up the good work!

It may not be under your direct control, but I personally would like to see NX Group expand its UK bus division in to other areas of the UK through acquisitions

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk