News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Wolverhampton Garage

Started by Trident 4609, July 21, 2013, 10:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trident 4194

Quote from: Pat on November 16, 2020, 12:29:52 PM
You don't want them, trust me!  Horrible things.  Solos are a far better product, in my view.

Give me a streetlite over a e200 anyday. But a solo trumps both

Jack

Quote from: Trident 4194 on November 16, 2020, 12:57:31 PM
I'd have anything over a Voith E200.

Pat

Quote from: Trident 4194 on November 16, 2020, 12:57:31 PM
Yes, definitely.  The solo is a much nicer vehicle.  Smoother and more comfortable.  The 'wheel forward' design gives for a nicer ride, as potholes are absorbed much better than an e200.

The Streetlites suspension is too hard.  They rattle and the gearbox is jerky.  Never known a Streetlite, or e200 for that matter, that doesn't rattle.

MW

Quote from: Pat on November 16, 2020, 01:59:46 PM
Yes, definitely.  The solo is a much nicer vehicle.  Smoother and more comfortable.  The 'wheel forward' design gives for a nicer ride, as potholes are absorbed much better than an e200.

The Streetlites suspension is too hard.  They rattle and the gearbox is jerky.  Never known a Streetlite, or e200 for that matter, that doesn't rattle.

Diamond 30168 (ERZ2028) is/was a rattle free Streetlite. It is/was also probably the smoothest Streetlite I've ever come across.

Tony

Quote from: MW on November 16, 2020, 03:06:05 PM
Diamond 30168 (ERZ2028) is/was a rattle free Streetlite. It is/was also probably the smoothest Streetlite I've ever come across.

The NXWM three are good as well, much better built than a solo, and the drive line is the same as an E200 so just as smooth if set up correctly

DJ

Quote from: Tony on November 16, 2020, 03:13:31 PM
The NXWM three are good as well, much better built than a solo, and the drive line is the same as an E200 so just as smooth if set up correctly

Diamond's don't seem to rattle much either, 20167 was faultless on the trip to Showbus and back last year. I haven't been on the NX ones much, but they seemed great too from what I remember.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

MW

Quote from: DJ on November 16, 2020, 03:45:41 PM
Diamond's don't seem to rattle much either, 20167 was faultless on the trip to Showbus and back last year. I haven't been on the NX ones much, but they seemed great too from what I remember.

These 68 plate and onwards Streetlites appear to be better built. How are 32307-310 doing? They were big rattlers on the Signatures, particularly 32310!

bususer28

I have to agree. I've only travelled on them a few times but they do make for a pretty comfortable ride. It must just be me but I cannot stand solos- very rattly, really annoying and they have quite a 'plasticy' feel to them whereas NXs streetlites are really nice.

MW

Are you all (wrongfully) comparing older Solos to these Streetlites because the 2010 onwards Solo 'SR' is far superior to the Streetlite WF...

Pat

Quote from: MW on November 16, 2020, 05:33:05 PM
Are you all (wrongfully) comparing older Solos to these Streetlites because the 2010 onwards Solo 'SR' is far superior to the Streetlite WF...
Even the older solos are better, in my view.

j789

Quote from: Pat on November 16, 2020, 06:10:11 PM
Even the older solos are better, in my view.

From a driver's point of view I loved the old Solo design. We still have some at Worcester and they are in my opinion still great to drive. When we just to have a lot more, I occasionally got to have one on an evening 144 to Brum, a 55 mile round trip but a pleasure to do so in the nippy Solo. My favourite was 53044 which has sadly gone now but 53061/2 are still going strong even after 17 years.

Tony

Quote from: j789 on November 16, 2020, 06:22:07 PM
From a driver's point of view I loved the old Solo design. We still have some at Worcester and they are in my opinion still great to drive. When we just to have a lot more, I occasionally got to have one on an evening 144 to Brum, a 55 mile round trip but a pleasure to do so in the nippy Solo. My favourite was 53044 which has sadly gone now but 53061/2 are still going strong even after 17 years.

I don't mind driving solos, but there are many things with them that are poor design, like heavy batteries behind a big bar, so impossible to get out alone easily.

j789

Quote from: Tony on November 16, 2020, 06:24:13 PM
I don't mind driving solos, but there are many things with them that are poor design, like heavy batteries behind a big bar, so impossible to get out alone easily.

Is that Solo/s NXWM acquired from WMSNT still with them or did they go for scrap? If still there, any chance they'd be returned to service for NEAT contracts and perhaps that 19reg e200 from Kings Ferry could be put into general passenger service?

Tony

Quote from: j789 on November 16, 2020, 06:34:43 PM
Is that Solo/s NXWM acquired from WMSNT still with them or did they go for scrap? If still there, any chance they'd be returned to service for NEAT contracts and perhaps that 19reg e200 from Kings Ferry could be put into general passenger service?

The 19 reg ex King's Ferry will be the main vehicle on the Warwickshire contracts.
Of the five solos One is in use as a filming vehicle in the training fleet, the other 4 are for sale.

Trident 4194

You saying an e200 is smoother than a streetlite?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk