News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Wolverhampton Garage

Started by Trident 4609, July 21, 2013, 10:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: WyreForestShuttle on June 13, 2020, 02:40:42 PM
It is my understanding that National Express West Midlands Service X8 operates an excellent Plantnum service between Wolverhampton & Birmingham at present.

Which again goes nowhere near the metro.

The Metro did genuinely kill the 979

MW

Quote from: WyreForestShuttle on June 13, 2020, 02:40:42 PM
It is my understanding that National Express West Midlands Service X8 operates an excellent Plantnum service between Wolverhampton & Birmingham at present.

A poster mentioned by @ellspurs historically commented on this service on the forum .

Excellent? Blimey Richard, times have changed then, eh?!

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: Tony on June 13, 2020, 03:03:43 PM
Which again goes nowhere near the metro.

The Metro did genuinely kill the 979
Yes fully agree @Tony which I persumb why the X8 has been sucessfull  for National Express West Midlands.

You are also so right I used the Lynxes on the 979 to go to Wolverhampton Poly & the patronage disappeared overnight following the launch of Midland Metro sadly making it unviable for Travel West Midlands even after its revised curtailment to Wednesbury.

Busboy105

Quote from: Tony on June 13, 2020, 02:20:54 PM
Does the 126 still run between Wolverhampton & Birmingham?
also
Does the 979 still run between Wolverhampton & Birmingham?
Didn't the 126 stop going to Wolves was because of traffic issues? Because it still ran between Birmingham and Wolves 19 years after the Metro was launched.

Pat

Quote from: Busboy105 on June 13, 2020, 02:04:02 PM
The Midland Metro didn't affect the 126 when it used to go all the way to Wolves so I doubt there will be a major impact.
Does this mean that the line is 100% confirmed to start building?
Also, the metro hasn't affected the 79 which runs parallel to the metro.

Tony

Quote from: Pat on June 13, 2020, 04:29:13 PM
Also, the metro hasn't affected the 79 which runs parallel to the metro.

It has affected it.

Ending up dropping from a high frequency service into Birmingham to at one point a 20 minute frequency to West Bromwich?

Pat

Quote from: Tony on June 13, 2020, 04:32:39 PM
It has affected it.

Ending up dropping from a high frequency service into Birmingham to at one point a 20 minute frequency to West Bromwich?
Didn't the 79 more or less run the same route as the 74 between West Brom and Brum though?Nowadays, the route is always busy and I've often had a standing load on it.

Busboy105

Quote from: Pat on June 13, 2020, 04:40:11 PM
Didn't the 79 more or less run the same route as the 74 between West Brom and Brum though?Nowadays, the route is always busy and I've often had a standing load on it.
Yes it did, alongside the 74 and the 75.

Pat

Quote from: Busboy105 on June 13, 2020, 04:55:03 PM
Aaah right, couldn't quite remember.  I think the 74/75 combined to provide a 5 minute frequency. 

Jack

Quote from: Busboy105 on June 13, 2020, 04:55:03 PM
No it didn't, the 75 was brought out to replace the 79 between B'ham and Wednesbury. The every 5 minute frequency was kept between West Brom and B'ham when the 79 was cut and the 75 introduced.

Pat

Quote from: Jack on June 13, 2020, 05:04:21 PM
No it didn't, the 75 was brought out to replace the 79 between B'ham and Wednesbury. The every 5 minute frequency was kept between West Brom and B'ham when the 79 was cut and the 75 introduced.
So the 79 wasn't greatly affected by the Metro then?  As it was curtailed to West Brom and replaced by the 75.  Presumably that was due to reliability issues caused by traffic?

Busboy105

Quote from: Pat on June 13, 2020, 05:10:07 PM
So the 79 wasn't greatly affected by the Metro then?  As it was curtailed to West Brom and replaced by the 75.  Presumably that was due to reliability issues caused by traffic?
Yes, traffic in Handsworth and West Bromwich when Albion played at the Hawthorns pretty much put Soho Road/Holyhead Road on shutdown. But I would say that the 79 was affected by the Metro considering it serves pretty much the same areas as the 79 did bar Darlaston and was much faster than the 79.

Pat

Quote from: Busboy105 on June 13, 2020, 05:13:41 PM
Yes, traffic in Handsworth and West Bromwich when Albion played at the Hawthorns pretty much put Soho Road/Holyhead Road on shutdown. But I would say that the 79 was affected by the Metro considering it serves pretty much the same areas as the 79 did bar Darlaston and was much faster than the 79.
I suppose it may have had some affect, but I don't see it as having a major affect.  The service is still very busy.

ellspurs

Quote from: Pat on June 13, 2020, 05:10:07 PM

I thought the 79 curtailment was part of the thing like they did on the Coventry Road where they wanted one frequent service servicing the road (due to the traffic issues and such), with the other services connecting further out. Hence why the 57A became the 957, and ultimately the X2, with the 57 withdrawn and replaced with a more frequent 60. Could be getting it wrong in my head though.

The 979 got replaced by the 80 up to Wednesbury originally.

Busboy105

Quote from: ellspurs on June 13, 2020, 05:20:18 PM
I thought the 79 curtailment was part of the thing like they did on the Coventry Road where they wanted one frequent service servicing the road (due to the traffic issues and such), with the other services connecting further out. Hence why the 57A became the 957, and ultimately the X2, with the 57 withdrawn and replaced with a more frequent 60. Could be getting it wrong in my head though.

The 979 got replaced by the 80 up to Wednesbury originally.
Yes it does look similar to that. You also missed when the 60 had another frequency upgrade when the 58 was curtailed and the 59 was withdrawn (controversial decision in my opinion but at least passengers now have their Yardley-Kingshurst link now).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk