News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Wolverhampton Garage

Started by Trident 4609, July 21, 2013, 10:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BK63 YWP

4308 is still at WN on the 16/17 today? Is it still destined for transfer to PN @Tony
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

P419 EJW

Quote from: BN on January 10, 2019, 07:49:07 PM
I'm interested in this subject, what's the general consensus on the volume? Just right or too high/low. The more responses the better please, here or pm.

529 is one of my local routes, @BN.

The announcements on some 529 branded MMCs are too loud. When I don't have my processor switched on (I'm a cochlear implant user), I can feel the vibrations from the speakers in my chest. Some MMCs say "The next stop is... Hill Road/Noose Lane." Then when a bus arrives at the bus stop, it interrupts before it has a chance to say the whole bus stop name. "Hill Ro-... The next stop is Neachells Lane." Then says the current bus stop name "Hill Road." Same issue for Bentley Cemetery and Warwick Avenue. It says like this "Bentley Cemetery. The next sto-... Bentley Cemetery."

The announcements say a bus stop name three times. Too much? One from 'The next stop is...', one from a short distance from that bus stop, and one at that bus stop.

Oh, and 6767 -still- has the issue with the announcements that it plays a melodic tune before every stop name. Had it home last night at 23:25 ex Walsall.

Two and half years later, they finally want the feedback for the announcements. Terrible.

Quote from: P419 EJW on January 23, 2019, 12:18:17 PM
529 is one of my local routes, @BN.

The announcements on some 529 branded MMCs are too loud. When I don't have my processor switched on (I'm a cochlear implant user), I can feel the vibrations from the speakers in my chest. Some MMCs say "The next stop is... Hill Road/Noose Lane." Then when a bus arrives at the bus stop, it interrupts before it has a chance to say the whole bus stop name. "Hill Ro-... The next stop is Neachells Lane." Then says the current bus stop name "Hill Road." Same issue for Bentley Cemetery and Warwick Avenue. It says like this "Bentley Cemetery. The next sto-... Bentley Cemetery."

The announcements say a bus stop name three times. Too much? One from 'The next stop is...', one from a short distance from that bus stop, and one at that bus stop.

Oh, and 6767 -still- has the issue with the announcements that it plays a melodic tune before every stop name. Had it home last night at 23:25 ex Walsall.

Two and half years later, they finally want the feedback for the announcements. Terrible.
The new announcements at BC don't repeat themselves as much, presumably they'll be rolled out across the fleet eventually and other garages such as WN will get them, they're definetly better in that instance. Previously they were consistently repeating themself over and over again "The Next Stop is Old Lode Lane, Hatchford Brook Road, The next stop is... (it would then cut out), Then next stop is Old Lode Lane, Hatchford Brook Road, then announcing the stop for a third time.
With the new annoncements, the announcement of destination, is usefulf for passengers who have got on the wrong bus without checking the destination display as well. I've not seen any interputed announcements on these new announcements any they only announce it for a second time if the bus stops at the stop. There's certainly been some improvements there.

They've made the annoncemebts shorter with these as well, for example they announce "Hatchford Brook", rather than "Old Lode Lane, Hatchford Brook Road".
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Ashley 60171

I've been a fan of next stop announcements since NXWM introduced them. The whole "the next stop is..." and other varients don't bother me. If the announcements don't work or are too quiet, the journey isn't quite the same now they're increasingly the norn.

I know it isn't quite the right thread but since the questions been asked, if they could throw in a "this is your 529 to Walsall" for example to play leaving the bus station or on the Ring Road if you're on the X7/X8.

I also like the double barrel ones like "Stowheath Lane, The Merry Boys".

Also, will Mr Platinum replace the iconic tones of Judy on the 1 since a few of those are out of date?

Quote from: Ashley 60171 on January 23, 2019, 02:53:57 PM
I've been a fan of next stop announcements since NXWM introduced them. The whole "the next stop is..." and other varients don't bother me. If the announcements don't work or are too quiet, the journey isn't quite the same now they're increasingly the norn.
Yes I agree with that, and from what i've seen they are very useful for those who may not know the route and the area, and i'd think anyone with sight problems, the blind, etc, would also find them incredibly useful.

I know it isn't quite the right thread but since the questions been asked, if they could throw in a "this is your 529 to Walsall" for example to play leaving the bus station or on the Ring Road if you're on the X7/X8.
The new announcements announce on the Cov Rd, Uni, Harborne and 50 already do that, announcing, "X2 to Solihull Station", etc. after leaving the stops, so if they're rolled out across the rest of the fleet, rather than being just at YW and BC as they are at present, then I imagine they do already intend on doing that.

If it was possible it would be nice to see them rolled out on some of the newer standard buses across the fleet as well on routes like the MMC on the, 11A/C, 6, 4/A and 14/126 as welll. I recall reading that they fitted the Omnilinks on the 4/H/M with next stop announcements easily enough.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Jack

The best route with the announcements is the X12, as it doesn't stupidly repeat and and cut out it doesn't sound like London iBus.
I hope they sort out PB's announcements, of which are still announcing the stop when the bus is on top of it.
The Omnilinks on the 28 (I think) are a good candidate for next stop announcements, same to those on the 4/4H/4M.

Quote from: Jack on January 23, 2019, 06:17:55 PM
The best route with the announcements is the X12, as it doesn't stupidly repeat and and cut out it doesn't sound like London iBus.
I hope they sort out PB's announcements, of which are still announcing the stop when the bus is on top of it.
The Omnilinks on the 28 (I think) are a good candidate for next stop announcements, same to those on the 4/4H/4M.
Why does it matter if they are similar to Londons next stop announcements?
Its not like the average passenger would be bothered.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Jack

Quote from: 2206 on January 23, 2019, 06:21:16 PM
Why does it matter if they are similar to Londons next stop announcements?
It's annoying for a start, everytime the bus closes its doors, "50 to Druids Heath". It's gets on your nerves quite easily as it's repeated at a constant pace.
I'm sure people who have a daily commute on the routes with TfL soundalike announcements get sick of hearing them daily.

Quote from: Jack on January 23, 2019, 06:22:43 PM
It's annoying for a start, everytime the bus closes its doors, "50 to Druids Heath". It's gets on your nerves quite easily as it's repeated at a constant pace.
I'm sure people who have a daily commute on the routes with TfL soundalike announcements get sick of hearing them daily.
You could say that for any of the announcements to be honest, someone commuting on the X12 could just as easily be sick of hearing "the next stop is ...." everyday. Some probably just "blank out" the noise.

I know they're repetitive, but it doesn't bother me at all to be honest and I hear them everyday, neither have I seen anyone campaigning about them on the Cov Rd To be honest, i'd say it is a useful addition,  the most I've seen is when I was on the X2 the other week and every time the doors closed and the bus announced "X2 to Yardley", people got were getting of as they didn't realise it was a short working.

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

mesub

What amazes me is that they hyrbids don't have announcements, even though they are just like the '15 MMCs
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

don

Quote from: Jack on January 23, 2019, 06:22:43 PM
I quite often travel on buses or other modes with actual TfL or National Rail announcements - a choice of several different routes - the announcements really cease to be intrusive in a short space of time - just having the service number and destination announced when the bus leaves the stop, and the stop name of the next stop announced in advance and when you get to the stop is very useful and avoids lots of extraneous and unnecessary words - equally you cease to notice the warning noises when tram doors open or shut or the centre doors of buses open and shut or the announcements on tube trains down to advance warning of which side the doors will open - invaluable on a busy tube if you're not totally familiar with the journey unless directly applying to what you're doing. No doubt absolutely vital if you're making the journey for the first few times, are a visitor or are partially sighted or blind.

There are occassional cock ups in the announcements but not often - I catch a train currently which is announced as stopping at Beckenham Hill when it's Beckenham Junction (different line - stations several miles apart - spookily it does it correctly on the train itself). But the systems generally seem accurate.

As announcements seem to be a 100% feature on all modes in London, including in the leafy suburbs, I suspect everyone has become accustomed to them (as on trains around the country) the West Midlands buses ones appear a bit of a novelty (but no doubt very useful and should be rolled out ultimately to all buses). I guess all this is teething problems really.
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

mesub

Also, will Mr Platinum replace the iconic tones of Judy on the 1 since a few of those are out of date?
Mr. Platinum is a voice actor. The 61/63 hybrids could also have announcements on them.
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

I love Walsall buses

According @Tony from Facebook 2006 is branded for the 2 and 2009 nearly done 2002-2011 will get the branding applied

Tiptonian

Judy? I always thought it was Kerry!

ARBB

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk