News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Wolverhampton Garage

Started by Trident 4609, July 21, 2013, 10:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Am I in the Diamond thread, or the NXWM?!

On a serious note, when does this contract begin? All these heaps will need repairing. They'll no doubt break down on the way back too. Might as well send some Volvo B5s up to compensate. I bet they won't break down...

winston

Quote from: MW on July 13, 2018, 11:54:23 PM

On a serious note, when does this contract begin? All these heaps will need repairing. They'll no doubt break down on the way back too. Might as well send some Volvo B5s up to compensate. I bet they won't break down...

The tournament starts Monday.

CL

Quote from: MW on July 13, 2018, 11:54:23 PM

With the contract requiring Hybrids, I had pondered about NX sending some B5s upwards... However, the more I think about it, there are several issues which would render it unviable.

Granted, the B5s are great buses. But in sending them to Dundee, surely drivers would require some form of type training, as it would be introducing a new type of vehicle that Dundee doesn't operate; even only for a couple days. Not a problem with the E400Hs. I guess that's the biggest problem of all.

Another is very minor, and would not at all hinder performance, but (in my opinion) would not send a good impression of National Express. And that is that the majority of B5s are branded for the Bristol Road. Okay, so 5518 is unbranded, but if they had sent up some branded examples, I feel it would convey the message of NX using whatever buses they had "lying around" (probably not the best choice of words, but hopefully you get what I mean). :)
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

V89MOA

Just throwing it out there but couldn't the handful of retrofitted Capacitor platinums go up? A much less risky option too considering they've survived the runs to Plaxton and back recently? Would also be a chance to start type training Dundee drivers early ready for their new arrivals.

Kevin

Surely someone somewhere will have known there'd be issues with these buses travelling such a distance just for a week. Why did NX go for the contract?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

winston

Quote from: Kevin on July 14, 2018, 10:04:09 AM
Surely someone somewhere will have known there'd be issues with these buses travelling such a distance just for a week. Why did NX go for the contract?

Additional revenue & profit.

Kevin

Quote from: Winston on July 14, 2018, 10:09:02 AM
Additional revenue & profit.

But knackering the buses in the process? Is it really worth it?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

winston

Quote from: Kevin on July 14, 2018, 10:21:47 AM
But knackering the buses in the process? Is it really worth it?

Clearly NX think it is, with paying to send WM drivers up there / accommodation etc. Plus it will be good publicity for the company at a Prestigious Golf event.

Mike K

Quote from: V89MOA on July 14, 2018, 12:47:36 AM
Just throwing it out there but couldn't the handful of retrofitted Capacitor platinums go up? A much less risky option too considering they've survived the runs to Plaxton and back recently? Would also be a chance to start type training Dundee drivers early ready for their new arrivals.

I'd guess the other reason that neither these nor B5s were used, in addition to the type training that would be required, is that if any engineering maintenance / repair were required whilst they're up there, NX Dundee staff would have neither the skills nor the spares for maintenance.

ross4122

How can it be worth it? 15 Hybrids at 42mph going 350 miles there, and back, paying out driver wages (and recovery services...). The only reason Stagecoach didn't go for/get it is because of the lack of Hybrids. Although Arbroath do have 25 of them...

However, I digress.

ChrisF7165

All the additional costs, such as wages and accomodation, would have been factored into the price that NX quoted for doing the contract.

To being this back to the buses: 5402, 5406, 5412, 5414, 5415, 5416, 5417 and 5421 were all noted looking gleaming in Crimson through the fence of Dock Street this morning
Chris Forbes

Those were the days ... Working at Acocks Green on the 11A

Michael Bevan

It looks like NXWM have won the tender for the 10A/B off Arriva from the 2nd of September. There are information posters have started to appear at bus stops on the route explaining the upcoming changes regarding the tender...

Westy

Quote from: Michael Bevan on July 14, 2018, 10:36:30 PM
It looks like NXWM have won the tender for the 10A/B off Arriva from the 2nd of September. There are information posters have started to appear at bus stops on the route explaining the upcoming changes regarding the tender...

They're getting brave crossing the border!

First Stafford, then Lichfield, now Pattingham!

Solo1

Didn't  wmt run to pattingham all those years back

P419 EJW

Quote from: Solo1 on July 15, 2018, 08:14:48 AM
Didn't  wmt run to pattingham all those years back

Yeah, Travel West Midlands served the old 517 and 538.

Travel West Midlands Dennis Dart 809 on the 538 in Pattingham on 10th July 1997 (credit to Claire Pendrous): https://flic.kr/p/a1MbSP

WMPTE Leyland Lynx 1064 on the 517 in Perton displaying Pattingham on 12th April 1986 (credit to Walsall1955): https://flic.kr/p/9VVMd4

Additionally, there was the old 537 that went from Wolverhampton to Bridgnorth via Pattingham, Burnhill Green, Backbury, Ryton, Grindle, Kemberton, Brockton, Sutton Maddock, Stockton, Odlington, Lower Allscott, and Fenn Gate. According to Claire Pendrous, this was a long and twisty route that served isolated communities. Dennis Dart 803 on the 537 in Bridgnorth in September 1997 (credit to Claire Pendrous): https://flic.kr/p/4md5bt

WMT 1332 on the 537 to Pattingham on 16th February 1996 (credit to Claire Pendrous): https://flic.kr/p/FSiWUW

I'm sure WMT / TWM did serve the old 516 as well?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk