News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Wolverhampton Garage

Started by Trident 4609, July 21, 2013, 10:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Quote from: MW on July 13, 2018, 07:37:13 PM
He might be talking about the rear seats downstairs on the E400H. If it's the same as the Mark I E400s, they had hardly any cushioning when new, so they must be pretty non existent now!
The MK1 E400's prior to refurbs, the seats at the back downstairs went rockhard after many years of use on busy routes. 4718-4737 - Sutton and 4738-62 on the 50. They really do hurt your bottom!

Mike K

Quote from: Jack on July 13, 2018, 06:43:25 PM
What are people's opinion on these? I've only ridden a very small number when BC had them, seeing videos of them they don't look that good and look unreliable. I can't remember them tbh. The B5's are a very good workhorse for NX imo, but these E400H seem to love overheating as I've seen other operators E400H's do the same.
Then again the B5's are Volvo, compared to crappy ADL E400H's.

What are people's thoughts on these?

I had mixed feelings about them when they were at BC. They were very quick pulling away, smooth, quiet and could really shift. But they have really stiff suspension and crashed over potholes which could make for a very uncomfortable ride (a bit like a car with sports suspension on huge alloys). No idea what reliability is like these days but the BC ones had some awful spells; once 3 broke down in Harborne or Edgbaston on the same day.

I have read some horror stories about Stagecoach Sheffield ones, and negative stuff about the Lothian ones too (Lothian have since switched to B5LHs, and even Stagecoach in Scotland have since purchased B5LHs, albeit with E400 MMC bodywork).

MW

Quote from: Mike K on July 13, 2018, 07:43:27 PM
I had mixed feelings about them when they were at BC. They were very quick pulling away, smooth, quiet and could really shift. But they have really stiff suspension and crashed over potholes which could make for a very uncomfortable ride (a bit like a car with sports suspension on huge alloys). No idea what reliability is like these days but the BC ones had some awful spells; once 3 broke down in Harborne or Edgbaston on the same day.

I have read some horror stories about Stagecoach Sheffield ones, and negative stuff about the Lothian ones too (Lothian have since switched to B5LHs, and even Stagecoach in Scotland have since purchased B5LHs, albeit with E400 MMC bodywork).

An observation I've made in general. Suspension wise, Volvos tend to be far better than ADL. ADL buses all have that crash sort of suspension. Whenever you go over a pothole or even the slightest bump, you feel it in an ADL, but Volvos seem to glide over them. The Plaxton Presidents had good suspension.

Jack

Quote from: MW on July 13, 2018, 07:53:46 PM
An observation I've made in general. Suspension wise, Volvos tend to be far better than ADL. ADL buses all have that crash sort of suspension. Whenever you go over a pothole or even the slightest bump, you feel it in an ADL, but Volvos seem to glide over them. The Plaxton Presidents had good suspension.
E200's have crap suspension, the E200 MMC's aren't better either.
The Presidents were a mixed bag, some had good suspension, some had bad suspension like 4033, which then caused the whole body to move and rattle.

BN

Quote from: CL on July 13, 2018, 06:22:43 PM
Was told that 5401 broke down in Chorley

Sandbach services, 5403 had a blow out just short of Lancaster, a few overheating issues but I don't think it has gone too badly too be honest.
I'm sure Tony may update us at somepoint tonight?

P419 EJW

Quote from: P419 EJW on July 13, 2018, 10:43:26 AM
@BN, 853's front LED display is very dark, it was difficult to see it from a distance.

@BN, 6766's front LED display needs correcting. It's stuck in night mode, hard to see in the day.

Quote from: StourValley98 on July 13, 2018, 06:36:53 PM
I've just been told that 3 broke down, with the majority also overheating.
This is what someone said on the Dundee forum:

Quote from: Ross on July 13, 2018, 07:45:18 PM
Anyone waiting for the West Midlands E400Hs will be in for a long wait. At least 1 has broken down, majority have overheaten. Some are only at Kendal (18:46)
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

BN

Quote from: P419 EJW on July 13, 2018, 08:24:56 PM
@BN, 6766's front LED display needs correcting. It's stuck in night mode, hard to see in the day.

Thanks, I will look into it.

ross4122

5406 and 2 others have arrived in Dundee

I'm also the same Ross which 2206 quoted earlier

Michael Bevan

Quote from: ross4122 on July 13, 2018, 09:09:47 PM

I've just read a comment stating that some have just arrived at Gretna Green Services...Which is still 154 miles away from Dundee...

DJ

Quote from: BN on July 13, 2018, 08:10:08 PM
Sandbach services, 5403 had a blow out just short of Lancaster, a few overheating issues but I don't think it has gone too badly too be honest.
I'm sure Tony may update us at somepoint tonight?

I'm sure Tony said he won't be able to update on anything much, if at all, unless he could sort out an old laptop.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Michael Bevan

Quote from: ross4122 on July 13, 2018, 09:09:47 PM

I've just been sent a message stating 10 have now arrived at Dundee. So that leaves 3 left.

Straightlines

Quote from: Michael Bevan on July 13, 2018, 09:40:51 PM
I've just been sent a message stating 10 have now arrived at Dundee. So that leaves 3 left.

Apparently one has broken down at Gretna

Ashley 60171

Meanwhile on the 1, the service is at its most reliable since they took Turnaround Terry off, no I mean since the green machines displaced the Tridents and Spectras.😂😂😂😂😂😂

Michael Bevan

Quote from: Straightlines on July 13, 2018, 09:57:43 PM
Apparently one has broken down at Gretna

I've been told four are waiting to be recovered, with the drivers being put up in hotels overnight. So that's five today that haven't made it to Dundee today.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk