News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Stratford Road chaos

Started by Kevin_Brum12, June 29, 2013, 03:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin_Brum12

Reports reach me of chaos on the Stratford Road this week leading to chaos on services 5, 6 and 31.  The reason is apparently the opening of a new supermarket (without car parking) and an increase in traffic.

The Stratford Road however is supposed to be a "Red Route" with parking restrictions so I would have thought Birmingham City Council would be making something of an effort to enforce them and make sure they are observed to keep the buses and other traffic moving.

Given the news of the decline in bus patronage and the routes running through an area with below average car ownership, getting these routes uber-reliable should be a priority.  The way things are going, you can see NXWM applying the same solution as they did on Alum Rock Road and diverting services away.  The traders, who moaned about the Red Route restrictions in the first place, won't be happy if they end up losing half of their bus using trade as a result.....

BU07 LGO

apparently bus lanes are receiving cameras to enforce them from july

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/buslanes

andy

The red routes and bus lanes on Stratford Road have never been enforced and are a total waste of paint. Cameras are all very well but they don't move cars and vans when you actually need them gone, tow away zones are the only thing that work.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: andy on June 29, 2013, 03:37:51 PM
The red routes and bus lanes on Stratford Road have never been enforced and are a total waste of paint. Camers are all very well but they don't move cars and vans when you actually need them gone, tow away zones are the only thing that work.

Here here!! [SP]

About bloody time regarding bus lanes if I'm frankly honest. Why do car drivers get off by blocking buses in/not allowing them to pull out? Technically speaking the bus should be faster then the car to the heart of the city, but with uneducation rife with car drivers journey times take longer then necessary.

Worst pathetic excuse for a bus lane is the one on Bristol Road between Weoley Park Road and Chapel Lane. - towards city. The sign says join bus lane ahead to turn left - not: cut in front of buses and join the bus lane a mile prior to allowance. It is in fact a big issue as wtf? Its supposed to be quicker for buses and its the only type of transport they're slowing down. Bastards.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

PM

Quote from: The Rat on June 29, 2013, 07:12:09 PM
The red routes and bus lanes on Stratford Road have never been enforced and are a total waste of paint. Camers are all very well but they don't move cars and vans when you actually need them gone, tow away zones are the only thing that work.

Here here!! [SP]

About bloody time regarding bus lanes if I'm frankly honest. Why do car drivers get off by blocking buses in/not allowing them to pull out? Technically speaking the bus should be faster then the car to the heart of the city, but with uneducation rife with car drivers journey times take longer then necessary.

Worst pathetic excuse for a bus lane is the one on Bristol Road between Weoley Park Road and Chapel Lane. - towards city. The sign says join bus lane ahead to turn left - not: cut in front of buses and join the bus lane a mile prior to allowance. It is in fact a big issue as wtf? Its supposed to be quicker for buses and its the only type of transport they're slowing down. Bastards.

I agree here but whats worse is when cars dont join, the bus crosses the outer circle and the car sweeps in front to turn left-had this happen many times!!

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Peter123 on June 29, 2013, 07:40:25 PM
Quote from: The Rat on June 29, 2013, 07:12:09 PM

Here here!! [SP]

I agree here but whats worse is when cars dont join, the bus crosses the outer circle and the car sweeps in front to turn left-had this happen many times!!

Yep, all the time. And what really grinds my gears is when you give them a blast on the horn they give you the finger - even though they're in the wrong. However, when the situation is flipped, and they blast the horn to a bus indicating to pull out we darnt give them the finger as we'll join them in the job centre queue!!!!
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Stu

The Stratford Road is chaos at the best of times, but this week just took the biscuit!

First of all you've got the 'junction improvement' works going on at the Highgate Road junction in Sparkbrook, which has seen all the southbound out-of city Stoney Lane stops removed and cordoned off, and part of the carriageway closed.

Then of course there's this new bleeding supermarket in Sparkhill. Why can't people catch the bus to go to the supermarket, instead of driving their cars, as Sparkhill has next to no off street parking as it is!

Finally on Thursday, I suppose the police incident at South Birmingham college in Hall Green didn't help things either.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Matt.N0056

Quote from: Stu on June 29, 2013, 07:56:46 PM
The Stratford Road is chaos at the best of times, but this week just took the biscuit!

First of all you've got the 'junction improvement' works going on at the Highgate Road junction in Sparkbrook, which has seen all the southbound out-of city Stoney Lane stops removed and cordoned off, and part of the carriageway closed.

Then of course there's this new bleeding supermarket in Sparkhill. Why can't people catch the bus to go to the supermarket, instead of driving their cars, as Sparkhill has next to no off street parking as it is!

Finally on Thursday, I suppose the police incident at South Birmingham college in Hall Green didn't help things either.

Add to that an incident on/near? Widney Lane, which would have further delayed the 6.

Stu

Quote from: neale95 on June 29, 2013, 08:07:28 PM

Add to that an incident on/near? Widney Lane, which would have further delayed the 6.

That affected the 5, the 6 does not go near Widney Lane.

My locals:

Matt.N0056

Quote from: Stu on June 29, 2013, 08:20:07 PM
Quote from: neale95 on June 29, 2013, 08:07:28 PM

That affected the 5, the 6 does not go near Widney Lane.

I think it was the Marshall Lake Road end - Diamond posted on their facebook to expect delays to the S4/15 and the S9 was running about half hour late.

fleetline6477

I was driving down the 529 route Willenhall Road in East Park (from Wolverhampton). I was in the outside lane and car came past me on the inside in the bus lane. The travel information board flashed up Bus Lane - Traffic Offence - Car registration. He did move over.

Trident 4609

Quote from: fleetline6477 on June 29, 2013, 09:20:48 PM
I was driving down the 529 route Willenhall Road in East Park (from Wolverhampton). I was in the outside lane and car came past me on the inside in the bus lane. The travel information board flashed up Bus Lane - Traffic Offence - Car registration. He did move over.
i also usually see the same traffic offence notice on the bus lane on the Wednesfield Road in Heath Town towards Wednesfield but it usually displays bus registration plates!

Steveminor

The red route on Stratford rd DOES get enforced by a camera car at present & issues on average 60 fines per day.
It will still be out enforcing even when the bus lane cameras come into force.

Stu

Went past the new A1 Supermarket on the 31A today, poxy little place, but people were queuing up outside to get in! There also appeared to be a couple of marshall-looking fellas, opening and closing a barricade in front of a driveway next door, presumably this is where what little parking they have available is located! Hence the southbound traffic was crawling again back from Formans Road.

Wonder how long this will go on for?
My locals:

Kevin

Quote from: Stu on June 30, 2013, 05:46:10 PM
Wonder how long this will go on for?

I'd assume permanent
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk