News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Taking Bus Photo's

Started by 4006, July 20, 2012, 11:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi I'm after a new camera (one that will be good for taking bus pics obviously) only not sure which one to invest in. I'm no pro so just a simple point and shoot jobby with a decent zoom which is good at taking pictures 'on the move' will do and I don't want to spend loads of cash (Budget 100-200GBP) Currently have a finepix300 which is ok but the distortion is terrible. I would appreciate any info/advice to assist with my purchase!!
Enviro 200 Rebels......Venturing Out Into New Territory's!!

Ashley

I have a Nikon Coolpix S3100 which I use for taking bus photos, its only a compact but the pictures turn out mostly okay, compacts are probably better for still shots of buses rather than moving ones

Tony

Quote from: Ashley on July 22, 2012, 05:23:50 PM
I have a Nikon Coolpix S3100 which I use for taking bus photos, its only a compact but the pictures turn out mostly okay, compacts are probably better for still shots of buses rather than moving ones

Yes, because you cannot normally set the shutter speed on a compact, other than put it on 'sport' setting compacts tend to do perfect moving photos in good light (sunny), but can come out blurred in poorer light as the camera will automatically reduce the shutter speed. With an SLR you can lock the camera's shutter speed, but in poor light the focal length (F-setting) will then drop instead meaning less of the photograph is in perfect focus

Ashley

I'mh hoping to upgrade to an SLR ideally in the not too distant future once I feel comfortable using a compact without the funny looks or comments you get when your a bus enthusiast

windy miller

ashley-on the subject of cameras -I wouldn't be tempted to spend a fortune on an SLR ( usually from around £360+) If you dont need the combination of Quality AND a 36X Zoom facility-The Paperazzi Have Cameras costing up to 15-20K but they are only at their best in Long distance Zoom -Pretty useless for general use. I would consider a decent advanced compact or a Decent Bridge camera with a 18x or 24x zoom and use the IA setting- (ie Intelligent Auto). that setting is only at a disadvantage in very low light -eg starry sky/ fireworks/ or panoramic shots. other than that they are like small computers-Brilliant!-make sure you check the price of the replacement Batteries though- My Lumix batteries are £45 AND Take 2 and a half hours to recharge. Good luck mate. :)
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Tony

Quote from: windy miller on July 22, 2012, 07:05:40 PM
ashley-on the subject of cameras -I wouldn't be tempted to spend a fortune on an SLR ( usually from around £360+) If you dont need the combination of Quality AND a 36X Zoom facility-The Paperazzi Have Cameras costing up to 15-20K but they are only at their best in Long distance Zoom -Pretty useless for general use. I would consider a decent advanced compact or a Decent Bridge camera with a 18x or 24x zoom and use the IA setting- (ie Intelligent Auto). that setting is only at a disadvantage in very low light -eg starry sky/ fireworks/ or panoramic shots. other than that they are like small computers-Brilliant!-make sure you check the price of the replacement Batteries though- My Lumix batteries are £45 AND Take 2 and a half hours to recharge. Good luck mate. :)

Yes, I have always purchased cameras, compact & SLR, that take AA batteries, in case of emergencies a trip to poundland for Duracels can get you out of trouble!

Isle of Stroma

Agreed. I was seriously tempted by a Fuji bridge model, but much prefer having a compact that can sit unobtrusively in my pocket until required.

Am currently using a Samsung WB720 & it can struggle with moving targets in low light conditions. On the flipside, it fits easily in the pocket, gives good results as long as there's at least reasonable light, works very well with static night time shots (unlike my Olympus X43 previously) & the 18x zoom can come in very handy!

Sh4318

Can anyone recommend me a camera that's good for low light shots and a fast shutter speed for moving buses/trains  :-\?
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

windy miller

Shaun. The only problem with taking low-light shots is obviously the amount of light your sensor can absorb...if you don't mind a certain amount of 'graininess' in your 'shot in the dark' so to speak there are plenty of good cameras out there. but, personally I wouldn't fancy taking moving shots in bad light,at least not without a flash!.Maybe a second hand panasonic G3 series bridge would give you many more options, inc a (manually) set 3 shot 'burst' ..ie one point under+0+one point over exposure setting..then upload your pics to your pc and put them through a picture editing system..I 'm sure many people would be happy to help you out so good luck mate.

nitromatt1

I use a Canon PowerShot A3000 IS, it's a compact camera but I find it really good, much better than the Nikon Coolpix I used to use. As long as there is sufficient light and the subject isn't moving more than about 40 mph it almost never blurs, and the video is pretty good quality too, however there is no sound on video playback on the camera

Neswulf

I'd say go for an advanced compact - something that will fit in your pocket & be ready for a switch on, point & shoot at short notice. Most advanced compacts allow you to alter shutter speed. I have a Panasonic Lumix TZ30, though a TZ20 is very similar and cheaper if you can find one. HD video as well.

windy miller

Neswulf.. one problem with the advance compact, and several others is The instant 'Quick access' point and shoot facility relies on the camera constantly adjusting itself to the prevailing light... which means a constant drain on the batteries! :o  I usually keep it switched off. The panasonic Lumix series have high quality lens's..(Leica I think)...you can buy a set of 3 x 52mm clip-on filters from a company called Neewar (on line) for less than £10.  The infra red filter not only cuts out unwanted glare but also acts as protection for your valuable lens. It would be Ideal as many of the earlier Lumix cams had a lens cap that kept falling off all the time!.(.I think theyv'e fixed that now ).

Neswulf

Quote from: windy miller on April 03, 2013, 03:07:32 PM
Neswulf.. one problem with the advance compact, and several others is The instant 'Quick access' point and shoot facility relies on the camera constantly adjusting itself to the prevailing light... which means a constant drain on the batteries! :o  I usually keep it switched off. The panasonic Lumix series have high quality lens's..(Leica I think)...you can buy a set of 3 x 52mm clip-on filters from a company called Neewar (on line) for less than £10.  The infra red filter not only cuts out unwanted glare but also acts as protection for your valuable lens. It would be Ideal as many of the earlier Lumix cams had a lens cap that kept falling off all the time!.(.I think theyv'e fixed that now ).

I was unaware of the filters, will take a look, cheers. Yeah, quick drain on the batteries is the biggest issue, I have a spare, but can get through both in a few hours.

windy miller

Neswulf   These filters can be veiwed on: www.gobuy.co.uk/cpl+fld+52mm  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk