News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Brierley Hill Bus Improvement Scheme

Started by winston, January 03, 2013, 11:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

The other point that I will make is that, because the island platform holding stands D, E and F is being removed, the "enhanced" bus station will have 8 departure stands and NO set down stands, compared with 8 departure stands and 2 set down stands.  The current bus station regularly has 4 or 5 buses queuing up outside waiting to get to a set-down stand.  The new configuration will make this even worse.

winston

Quote from: Roy on July 28, 2016, 09:00:00 AM
I agree with all the points raised.  I have met the objector and he genuinely works to try to improve public transport in Brierley Hill (including the reinstatement of rail/metro).  He is right to say that the two stops at the corners are stupidly situated.  In fact, they could be considered as dangerously sited and possibly not conforming to DDA legislation.  Winston is also right - a new bus station with the same footprint as the existing one is too small.  Surely they can give up a couple of rows from the adjacent car park to provide a decently sized facility.

As you say Roy, if they are going to refurb the station, they should do a proper job a give up one/two rows of parking in front of Halford's. Rather than trying to shoehorn in as many stands on the current footprint. It would only loose approx 40 car park spaces

Dom

@Winston Cheers for the link.

Personally I do see the issue with the unloading stands as they are very useful for drivers and will cause more issues for drivers as you will have the same situation as you do at Wolverhampton of drivers unloading at other routes stands leaving a cue of buses due to one bus unloading on another stand.

The ideas of stand D & E is stupid, I mean currently stand G (I think, X96 to Wollaston) doesn't work, causes ques ect. but in a way those stands are kind of integral to the design. If you remove those two stands you end up with 6 loading stands which the station just simply wouldn't cope with. I mean it struggles with 8 currently, but if you remove those two stands and attempt to relocate them then you have to ask yourself where do you relocate them to?

Removing the row of shelters makes it easier for buses to manoeuvre which is obviously a massive bonus in general for drivers.

Stand E could just simply be moved back slightly to where the current X96 wollaston stand is and with the extra space it should be fairly straight forward as long as drivers don't piss about.

Overall pros and cons to the plan, I think personally some of it has been designed not only with car parking in mind but as if the vehicles using the station would be cars with the stand positioning ect.

davey

Not sure how finalised plans are, but kerb alignment similar to that at West Bromwich Bus Station and Cradley Heath Interchange is certainly nessecary with stops on the bends.

At least now something substantial is on paper. And that is better than nothing.
Long live 4001!
PE Radio Operations - "1540, go ahead"
1540 driver - "The engines died, AGAIN!"

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: davey on July 28, 2016, 01:58:56 PM
Not sure how finalised plans are, but kerb alignment similar to that at West Bromwich Bus Station and Cradley Heath Interchange is certainly nessecary with stops on the bends.

At least now something substantial is on paper. And that is better than nothing.

Is it though, clearly they are trying to build a "new" bus station without increasing the space available!

Surely they should be encouraging the use of public transport rather than fighting to keep ever car parking space available.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

karl724223

Is there a link to the plans?

karl724223

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on July 28, 2016, 02:07:21 PM
Is it though, clearly they are trying to build a "new" bus station without increasing the space available!

Surely they should be encouraging the use of public transport rather than fighting to keep ever car parking space available.
the car parks back of the bus stops are part owned by a third party and they have always said they would never have buses on there land hence the bus station never got expanded that way

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: karl724223 on July 28, 2016, 04:19:21 PM
the car parks back of the bus stops are part owned by a third party and they have always said they would never have buses on there land hence the bus station never got expanded that way

Well considering the state of the present bus station, am surprised that there has never been a major accident there.

That land would enable a proper state of the art bus station to be built, after all it must reflect on the owners, modern shopping centre with good facilities apart from a crumby bus station. the bus operators should all get together and say that unless decent facilities are provided. they would refuse to use the bus station and only call at bus stops on the main roads, or is that what they are after to use that space for more car parking??
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

winston

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on July 28, 2016, 08:46:44 PM
Well considering the state of the present bus station, am surprised that there has never been a major accident there.

That land would enable a proper state of the art bus station to be built, after all it must reflect on the owners, modern shopping centre with good facilities apart from a crumby bus station. the bus operators should all get together and say that unless decent facilities are provided. they would refuse to use the bus station and only call at bus stops on the main roads, or is that what they are after to use that space for more car parking??

Intu should be made to either do a deal with part owner or compulsory purchase their stake in the land to allow for an expanded bus station to offer increased capacity for future requirements.

I would like to see some of the major bus operators that use the bus station object to the plans, on the grounds of what has been highlighted further up the thread

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Winston on July 28, 2016, 09:04:45 PM
Intu should be made to either do a deal with part owner or compulsory purchase their stake in the land to allow for an expanded bus station to offer increased capacity for future requirements.

I would like to see some of the major bus operators that use the bus station object to the plans, on the grounds of what has been highlighted further up the thread

Looking at the plans and all that has been said, certainly the objectives that were set out earlier in the year do not seem to have been achieved

"We will work with Intu, owners of Merry Hill Shopping Centre to deliver an improved customer experience for bus station users at the site, including provision of infrastructure that is compliant, fit for purpose and improves the waiting experience for passengers. We will also be working closely with Dudley Council and Intu to develop the long-term options for bus services at Merry Hill by providing excellent town centre transport interchange with the Metro development."

ARBB

Sooooooooooo........... Merry Hill bus station is still open.....

winston

When are they going to finish off stands A-C??? They look unfinished with the gaps still open above the new glazed sscreens/shelters to the underside of the existing shopping centre, wind & rain will still get through. Would the extra glass required push it over budget.....  ???

Even the new station (if you can call it that...) is still not fit for purpose, as there still won't be level boarding throughout as the pavements/kerbs haven't been built up & it's still just made up of individual more modern shelters. 

ARBB

Quote from: Winston on March 24, 2017, 11:26:40 AM
When are they going to finish off stands A-C??? They look unfinished with the gaps still open above the new glazed sscreens/shelters to the underside of the existing shopping centre, wind & rain will still get through. Would the extra glass required push it over budget.....  ???

Even the new station (if you can call it that...) is still not fit for purpose, as there still won't be level boarding throughout as the pavements/kerbs haven't been built up & it's still just made up of individual more modern shelters.

Stands A-C are finished. The whole station is only going to be temporary. The station won't be resurfaced, pot holes will just be patched up.

winston

Quote from: pndriver on March 24, 2017, 02:54:54 PM
Stands A-C are finished. The whole station is only going to be temporary. The station won't be resurfaced, pot holes will just be patched up.

Are there plans in place for a new one then? How temporary is temporary?

the trainbasher

Quote from: Winston on March 24, 2017, 04:06:33 PM
Are there plans in place for a new one then? How temporary is temporary?

By Marks and Sparks from what I have heard when the metro has arrived in Merry Hill around 2023ish...

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk