News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Brierley Hill Bus Improvement Scheme

Started by winston, January 03, 2013, 11:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

Quote from: karl724223 on October 14, 2015, 09:23:59 PM
for us drivers to lean on derr

@karl724223 I thought they were to stop you parking in the shopping centre  :P

s94

So tomorrow (Monday 11th Jan) sees the beginning of a major project on the A4036 at Merry Hill at the Boulevard/Coppice Lane and later High St/Mount Pleasant, seeing traffic signals upgraded/replaced and the A4036 resurfaced around this area. The whole project wont be complete until June. Temporary traffic lights will inevitably dominate the period so long delays possible at times though I think the aim is to keep work to 9.30-3.30pm and overnights.

The work is being assisted with funding form the Better Bus Scheme. The E&S has also mentioned local bus shelters are to be upgraded. Anyone know which roads this includes? Presume it's the High St and maybe Coppice Lane/The Boulevard though there arent many bus shelters around locally except on the high st and Coppice Lane, otherwise just the usual flags. Anyone able to shed any more light on the project? The Dudley Council website mentions the latest digital passenger info will be used - http://www.dudley.gov.uk/media/media-releases/december-2015/major-road-improvements-planned/ - could we see the flags with digital information around here?

Apparently bus reliability will be improved from the project. However I cant really see how much can be achieved as I am pretty sure no bus lanes are to be added! There is no room!

s94

The traffic signal upgrading works at Merry Hill are slowly causing more chaos especially on shopping Saturdays. More and more lanes seem to be getting closed off and noticed today that they looked to be preparing installation of temporary traffic lights. Could create a fair amount traffic trouble once those are in. Took approx 20 mins for me just to get from the Asda petrol station to the roadworks at the Coppice Lane junction today so inevitably fairly heavy delays for the many buses using this route too!

s94

Anyone know anymore about these works? Apart from the media I have seen nothing to suggest local bus shelters/stops being upgraded. In fact in the last day or so, these works at the junction looked to have quietened down a bit! Maybe not doing as much as has made out to be.

karl724223

The last two days been chaos with lane  closures there putting in pipes to take cables for new lights at the moment

s94

Thanks for this Karl. Maybe have just caught the works and traffic and quieter moments then. Have seen markings on the ground which I presume will be the locations of the new lights. To be fair, temporary lights were put on on Sunday and it was very busy. Right filter lanes have also been out of action for brief periods.

Roy

Centro published their 2016/2017 Transport Delivery Plan last week. 

The following appears on page 16 of the document.

We will work with Intu, owners of Merry Hill Shopping Centre to deliver an improved customer experience for bus station users at the site, including provision of infrastructure that is compliant, fit for purpose and improves the waiting experience for passengers. We will also be working closely with Dudley Council and Intu to develop the long-term options for bus services at Merry Hill by providing excellent town centre transport interchange with the Metro development.

Given that the proposed location for the tram stop is by the canal above Marks and Spencers, is the long term aim to move the bus station there?

s94

I would hope the bus station is not moved round by M&S. The land by the canal is pretty steep, not very conducive to building on. Although if you meant where the car parks are I still hope they wouldn't build it there. The roads along this stretch from the cinema to the roundabout at Level street are clogged up badly especially at peaks and even more at Christmas.

The Pedestrian crossings frequently cause traffic to regularly slow down. Not good for reliability unless the whole road network around there was changed. At least where the bus station is now most services can get to fairly readily along the boulevard and with the new traffic lights at the Coppice Lane and soon to be Quarry Bank High Street Junction, I think service reliability will be maximised if the bus station was kept in its present location.

However I can understand how having it next to the metro stop would help too. I do feel the metro is many years away yet. I'm sure I remember when it was first proposed that it would have been completed in 2013. Lol!

The bus station still needs desperately updating though lol.

karl724223

In the express and star  work to start on the new merry hill bus station soon

ARBB

Quote from: karl724223 on July 07, 2016, 10:08:38 PM
In the express and star  work to start on the new merry hill bus station soon

October I've heard

davey

Long live 4001!
PE Radio Operations - "1540, go ahead"
1540 driver - "The engines died, AGAIN!"

winston

Quote from: davey on July 28, 2016, 12:45:46 AM
Dudley council plans (and one objection)

http://planningdocuments.dudley.gov.uk/AniteIM.WebSearch/(S(egpigfuujwvhmejndw5jp445))/Results.aspx

@davey - Thanks for posting. The objector has a very valid point, they've located two of the new bus stops in the curved corners of the existing bus station perimeter, the buses aren't going to be able to get close enough to the curbs.

I notice Intu haven't given up any car park spaces to increase the useful size of the station....

Roy

I agree with all the points raised.  I have met the objector and he genuinely works to try to improve public transport in Brierley Hill (including the reinstatement of rail/metro).  He is right to say that the two stops at the corners are stupidly situated.  In fact, they could be considered as dangerously sited and possibly not conforming to DDA legislation.  Winston is also right - a new bus station with the same footprint as the existing one is too small.  Surely they can give up a couple of rows from the adjacent car park to provide a decently sized facility. 

Dom

For some reason it keeps saying it is unavailable when I go to view it. Can anyone offer an alternative link or way of getting it working please?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk