News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

General Metro Thread

Started by John, April 06, 2015, 02:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay71

So the conductors will be given new roles. I wonder how many will be laid off. 

Quote from: Solo1 on January 31, 2024, 07:55:51 AMWhat to stop someone travelling late night & don't buy ticket will they still be conductors roaming around the tram stops & jumping on trams at say 1030 at night to check tickets/psses
It'll probably be just like the snow hill services, you never see the conductor on there. And they leave the barriers open at certain times off day, I guess as they think its not worth the cost of them manning them.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Wba_lad

Looks like tram 46 had a accident today on broad street with a truck, looks like the truck turned and some how did not see a bright blue metro and his swing hit the metro.

Rachvince53

PART CLOSURE OF METRO 23rd March to 9th April 

To allow work to be carried out where the new Dudley line joins the existing line, no trams will run between Wednesbury and Birmingham between those dates. The line will also close south of Black Lake on 5th May only.  

Replacement bus services will operate. 

(Info courtesy of Express and Star : Monday 5th February 2024)

Wba_lad

So the other day for the first time in a few weeks I popped down digbeth as wanted to pop into the coach station and check a price of a coach, I was very suprised on how much they have actually got done, outside the coach station now the track is all layed and the construction gates have been lifted meaning you can get off the bus ect and walk straight over into the coach station instead of going to the special pathway. I wonder how long it will take to get it all finished to link it all up to bull street. A rough estimate will the new lines be as following Wolverhampton St George - bull street then to digbeth, Wolverhampton station - bull street then edgbaston village and then Wednesbury to Dudley ect. 

Stu

Quote from: Wba_lad on February 16, 2024, 02:14:52 AMI wonder how long it will take to get it all finished to link it all up to bull street.
It will be at least a couple of years before we ever see trams running on those tracks in Digbeth; it can't be linked up until the Curzon Street HS2 station nears completion.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

ellspurs

Quote from: Stu on February 16, 2024, 09:19:47 AMIt will be at least a couple of years before we ever see trams running on those tracks in Digbeth; it can't be linked up until the Curzon Street HS2 station nears completion.
Couple? You're being very optimistic there!

I'll be surprised if it happens before 2030.

Stu

Quote from: ellspurs on February 16, 2024, 02:23:08 PMCouple? You're being very optimistic there!

I'll be surprised if it happens before 2030.
It will depend on how far into the station construction programme Midland Metro Alliance will be given access to the site to do the work they need to do, ie lay trackwork.

QuoteHS2's contractor Mace Dragados Joint Venture (MDJV) have been in Stage One of the contract since 2021, working with HS2 Ltd to develop the detailed programme. Starting January 2024, they will deliver major earthworks to prepare the site for piling and foundations work in the Spring, with construction of the main station building due to start in the Summer.

Work on the station façade will begin in Summer 2025, with construction of concourse steelwork and the roof due to start in Autumn 2025. The internal fit-out of the station will start towards the end of 2025 and finish at the end of 2028. Operational testing and commissioning will run from Summer 2026 to Autumn 2028.
https://www.hs2.org.uk/building-hs2/stations/curzon-street/

Personally I think it would be silly to wait until the station is completely finished before allowing MMA to do their thing, but then again many large-scale projects such as these suffer from a lack of 'joined-up thinking', in order to save costs and time.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Wba_lad

Engneering works taking place

saturday 23rd march untill monday 25th march, trams will operate up to every 10 mins between wolverhampton station and wednesbury parkway ONLY. there will be no service betwenen wolverhampton and edgbaston village. 

tuesday 26th march untill tuesday 9th april, trams will operate up to every 10 mins between wolverhampton station and wednesbury great western street.

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: Wba_lad on February 29, 2024, 04:47:01 PMEngneering works taking place

saturday 23rd march untill monday 25th march, trams will operate up to every 10 mins between wolverhampton station and wednesbury parkway ONLY. there will be no service betwenen wolverhampton and edgbaston village.

tuesday 26th march untill tuesday 9th april, trams will operate up to every 10 mins between wolverhampton station and wednesbury great western street.
79 and 74 to the rescue from Wednesbury to Brum let's hope West Brom aren't playing at home on that Saturday otherwise that could be manic and put even more pressure on the already gridlocked M5 J1 and Birmingham Road. I know many Albion fans use the Tram from Wednesbury to West Brom or from West Brom to The Hawthorns after having Drinks in the town. 
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

Rachvince53

Quote from: BlackCountryBusSpotter on March 01, 2024, 10:47:23 AM79 and 74 to the rescue from Wednesbury to Brum let's hope West Brom aren't playing at home on that Saturday otherwise that could be manic and put even more pressure on the already gridlocked M5 J1 and Birmingham Road. I know many Albion fans use the Tram from Wednesbury to West Brom or from West Brom to The Hawthorns after having Drinks in the town.
Only one home match effected:  on 1st April 2024 via Watford.  

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: Rachvince53 on March 01, 2024, 02:18:59 PMOnly one home match effected:  on 1st April 2024 via Watford. 
With the way the season is shaping up that will be a sell out against another Play Off Contender
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

Celestial Toymaker

Quote from: Stu on February 16, 2024, 09:19:47 AMIt will be at least a couple of years before we ever see trams running on those tracks in Digbeth; it can't be linked up until the Curzon Street HS2 station nears completion.
just what we need, more congestion and traffic jams due to roads being occupied by empty trams, ive yet to see a full one, i see a lot of people walk away from the stop at Morrisons and get a bus or taxi instead........... thinks what a wonderful mayor we have he provides all the things we dont want and dont need loits dont even work :tongue:
3000 F300 XOF

uniquicity

I've deliberately ignored the forum recently because of all the rubbish posts.

But having just stood from Birmingham to West Brom and far too intimate with a few people around me, I'm calling bullshit on the above

(This was no different to normal on the 3 days I commute on the metro each week...)

Celestial Toymaker

Quote from: uniquicity on March 06, 2024, 04:51:40 PMI've deliberately ignored the forum recently because of all the rubbish posts.

But having just stood from Birmingham to West Brom and far too intimate with a few people around me, I'm calling bullshit on the above

(This was no different to normal on the 3 days I commute on the metro each week...)
maybe its the time of day ? its certainly not inacurate, but im willing to concede it could be time of day, mid afternoon when im about theyre empty (well maybe upto 20 people at most)
3000 F300 XOF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk