News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Strike Action

Started by monkeyjoe, December 14, 2022, 01:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PB50

Quote from: 2900 on January 14, 2023, 06:39:13 AMDrivers have rejected NX  final so called pay offer by a whopping 95% , now down to NX to improve the offer or we strike
Thought it was the garage staff not the drivers that wasn't happy with the pay?

metrocity

Quote from: PB50 on January 14, 2023, 09:45:11 AMThought it was the garage staff not the drivers that wasn't happy with the pay?
Its both now !

PB50

Quote from: metrocity on January 14, 2023, 09:48:46 AMIts both now !
Oh I see. Express and Star are saying they have been offered a 14% increase which obviously the drivers are not happy about. Do we know what % the drivers want to avoid strike action?

Quote from: PB50 on January 14, 2023, 01:35:35 PMOh I see. Express and Star are saying they have been offered a 14% increase which obviously the drivers are not happy about. Do we know what % the drivers want to avoid strike action?
Based on Last year and if you go back a few years before that the % just keeps going up.

winston

Quote from: 2900 on January 14, 2023, 06:39:13 AMDrivers have rejected NX  final so called pay offer by a whopping 95% , now down to NX to improve the offer or we strike
That will be something to look forward too if both NX drivers & engineers are potentially striking, along with all the other strikers.... 

I understand yesterday in Dudley there were 17 NX buses parked up with no drivers....

monkeyjoe

Offered 14% and not accepted seems a tad greedy to me, if that offer is true . 

Stu

Quote from: monkeyjoe on January 14, 2023, 03:10:29 PMOffered 14% and not accepted seems a tad greedy to me, if that offer is true .
That's unions for you!

14% seems reasonable to me, but the unions will always try and push for more.

Wage increases mean that overall operating costs will also go up, this at the same time as bus operators are expected to keep their fares frozen until 2025, while passenger numbers are not increasing in the numbers required.

The end result? Either fares will have to go up, or more services will have to be cut back, and drivers made redundant, in order to minimise potential losses.

Its a vicious circle - wages may go up, but wages are a cost to any business, and if their operating costs increase, then the price of their good/services offered also increases.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MW

Arriva Telford are recruiting... in Solihull

Slightly misleading headline but Integrated Solutions (agency) are approaching bus drivers (NX/LandFlight and even Stagecoach lol) in Solihull today promising a net pay of £1100 a week over 5 days and up to £170 in fuel costs and accommodation if necessary. First time I've seen a firm/agency trying to poach drivers in person.

It's for Arriva Telford.

Coventrybususer95

Quote from: MW on January 14, 2023, 04:33:30 PMArriva Telford are recruiting... in Solihull

Slightly misleading headline but Integrated Solutions (agency) are approaching bus drivers (NX/LandFlight and even Stagecoach lol) in Solihull today promising a net pay of £1100 a week over 5 days and up to £170 in fuel costs and accommodation if necessary. First time I've seen a firm/agency trying to poach drivers in person.

It's for Arriva Telford.
Is there not rules about doing that?
All views are my own and does not represent the views of any company/ business that i maybe be working with

ellspurs

Arriva Driver recruitment website rates:

https://arrivabusjobs.co.uk/search-careers/?job_id=R-023971_1671325444 Arriva Amwythig/Croesoswallt, £12.00/hour.

https://arrivabusjobs.co.uk/search-careers/?job_id=R-023128_1672448488 Arriva Thurmaston £13.70/hour for experienced drivers.

They are lower than the rates on offer on the NX recruitment site:

https://careers.nationalexpress.com/search/1883 NX "Black Country" £14.40/hour for experienced drivers.

https://careers.nationalexpress.com/search/1879 NX Coventry £14.90/hour for experienced drivers.

Integrated Solutions seem to be a company from the south. Bit weird for them to be recruiting for Arriva Telford. The wages they're quoting for London bus jobs don't get anywhere near what has been quoted above.

https://www.intsolutions.co.uk/jobs/

Ginger66

Quote from: Stu on January 14, 2023, 04:30:11 PMThat's unions for you!

14% seems reasonable to me, but the unions will always try and push for more.

Wage increases mean that overall operating costs will also go up, this at the same time as bus operators are expected to keep their fares frozen until 2025, while passenger numbers are not increasing in the numbers required.

The end result? Either fares will have to go up, or more services will have to be cut back, and drivers made redundant, in order to minimise potential losses.

Its a vicious circle - wages may go up, but wages are a cost to any business, and if their operating costs increase, then the price of their good/services offered also increases.

Agree what you are saying, if bus drivers do strike it could lead to areas been isolated as passengers cannot commute to visit friends and it will also have an effect on local towns who are also coming out of the pandemic and need financial that much needed boost.

metrocity

Quote from: monkeyjoe on January 14, 2023, 03:10:29 PMOffered 14% and not accepted seems a tad greedy to me, if that offer is true .
There could be more to do with it than just the rate. Conditions, promise of no redundancies beyond 2023 etc 

Gareth

Quote from: ellspurs on January 14, 2023, 05:05:41 PMArriva Driver recruitment website rates:

They are lower than the rates on offer on the NX recruitment site:

https://careers.nationalexpress.com/search/1883 NX "Black Country" £14.40/hour for experienced drivers.

https://careers.nationalexpress.com/search/1879 NX Coventry £14.90/hour for experienced drivers.

Why are Coventry garage drivers paid more than the rest of the company? Things like this don't help when there's unrest about wages within a company.

Westy

Quote from: Gareth on January 14, 2023, 07:10:32 PMWhy are Coventry garage drivers paid more than the rest of the company? Things like this don't help when there's unrest about wages within a company.
Wasn't there different conditions for the ex Midland Red garages back in the mists of time?

Gareth

Quote from: Westy on January 14, 2023, 07:22:53 PMWasn't there different conditions for the ex Midland Red garages back in the mists of time?

Coventry wasn't midland red. And both Coventry transport and midland red are going back almost 50 years.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk