News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Merry Hill shuttles

Started by Kevin, November 30, 2014, 10:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Cradley Heath station - Merry Hill - Dudley Bus station. Only those stops. Every 10 mins connecting with each train arriving at Cradley. 6 (maybe, haven't done maths) dedicated branded buses.

I appreciate current efforts from NWM and NX to route loads of buses between Cradley and Merry Hill. But how about this instead? And general consensus i seem to get is the X96 is a bit of a waste of an X service, as it isn't really express in any way shape or form. This could take over as the main Dudley - Merry Hill route.

I dunno. It's just a thought really. And it's down here in the bit of the forum labelled "where they can be ignored" so hopefully don't get ridiculed for it
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Stu

I believe there is a major review of services in the Dudley area planned for next year, and I hope that the public will be allowed to voice their opinions.

Even if its done in the style of the South Birmingham & Solihull consultation earlier this year, where the proposed changes were put forward for passengers to comment on, rather than being given a 'blank canvas'. (And rather than making unpopular changes without consulting passengers first, eg 289 and 297)

Certainly with regards to 'better connectivity', as Dudley town centre and Merry Hill have no direct rail connections, some sort of proper 'express' service to provide direct links must be worth looking at. Maybe another one from Dudley to Sandwell & Dudley station too?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

winston

Quote from: Stu on December 01, 2014, 12:40:13 AM
I believe there is a major review of services in the Dudley area planned for next year, and I hope that the public will be allowed to voice their opinions.

Even if its done in the style of the South Birmingham & Solihull consultation earlier this year, where the proposed changes were put forward for passengers to comment on, rather than being given a 'blank canvas'. (And rather than making unpopular changes without consulting passengers first, eg 289 and 297)

Certainly with regards to 'better connectivity', as Dudley town centre and Merry Hill have no direct rail connections, some sort of proper 'express' service to provide direct links must be worth looking at. Maybe another one from Dudley to Sandwell & Dudley station too?

Stu,

Dudley - Sandwell & Dudley Rail Station has been done previously and never took off, it wasn't an express service, but was operated by Travel Merry Hill

http://wmbusphotos.com/NXWM/0116-0422/261.html
http://wmbusphotos.com/NXWM/0116-0422/262.html

Stu

Quote from: Winston on December 01, 2014, 12:48:21 AM

Stu,

Dudley - Sandwell & Dudley Rail Station has been done previously and never took off, it wasn't an express service, but was operated by Travel Merry Hill

I do also recall that the 87 service used to serve Sandwell & Dudley station for a period of time; it may have never been too popular in the past, but with the focus being on better connectivity to help regenerate areas and provide links between all forms of transport, it might be something worth looking at again. The name of the station itself has always been something of a joke; no-one in the area likes the name Sandwell, and the station is a good couple of miles from Dudley with no direct public transport link.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

winston

Quote from: Stu on December 01, 2014, 01:04:23 AM

Stu,

I do also recall that the 87 service used to serve Sandwell & Dudley station for a period of time; it may have never been too popular in the past, but with the focus being on better connectivity to help regenerate areas and provide links between all forms of transport, it might be something worth looking at again. The name of the station itself has always been something of a joke; no-one in the area likes the name Sandwell, and the station is a good couple of miles from Dudley with no direct public transport link.

I can see your point, if you're going to try anything as an dedicated station express, I would think high spec buses would need to be used to try & encourage those who would normally drive. The Merc Vario's on the Sandwell station link didn't exactly set the service apart from anything else at the time.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Winston on December 01, 2014, 01:11:54 AM
Quote from: Stu on December 01, 2014, 01:04:23 AM

Stu,

I can see your point, if you're going to try anything as an dedicated station express, I would think high spec buses would need to be used to try & encourage those who would normally drive. The Merc Vario's on the Sandwell station link didn't exactly set the service apart from anything else at the time.

I worked at Sandwell & Dudley station when the 87 called at the station, it was popular, however people had a habit of parking on the turning circle while dropping people off, then going on the platform with them, so the bus was blocked causing delays. As the 4 passes the station, i don't really see the point in the 87 going there, anyone for Dudley can get a 4 to Oldbury, then the 87!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

the trainbasher

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Stuharris 6360

Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Sh4318

Quote from: Kevin on November 30, 2014, 10:26:57 PM
Cradley Heath station - Merry Hill - Dudley Bus station. Only those stops. Every 10 mins connecting with each train arriving at Cradley. 6 (maybe, haven't done maths) dedicated branded buses.

I appreciate current efforts from NWM and NX to route loads of buses between Cradley and Merry Hill. But how about this instead? And general consensus i seem to get is the X96 is a bit of a waste of an X service, as it isn't really express in any way shape or form. This could take over as the main Dudley - Merry Hill route.

I dunno. It's just a thought really. And it's down here in the bit of the forum labelled "where they can be ignored" so hopefully don't get ridiculed for it

This would be great, between Merry Hill and Cradley Heath anyway, I'm probably a bit biased as I use the Snow Hill line almost everyday. Manchester have 3 free shuttle bus routes that transport you around the city, I almost always use them when I'm there
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk