News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Evening and Sundays only services

Started by Kevin, August 29, 2014, 07:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Genuine question.

I'm sat here in the square peg, and just saw an nx56 go round Priory Square. My mind wondered a bit and this is a question I've always asked myself. Why does this route even exist? Why not run the 59 all day every day?
Same question applies to the 28, if the route between Heartlands hospital and Small Heath is so necessary, why not run the 28a (or whatever it's called atm) all day every day, instead of extending the 28? I know that used to be the route years ago but it bears less and less resemblance nowadays to the daytime route it seems a bit out of place.

When NWM/Centro started doing all the network reviews and started to get rid of some of these routes (especially around Walsall) I was hoping they'd go the whole hog and sort al of them out.

Curious. What are peoples thoughts?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Tony

Quote from: Kevin on August 29, 2014, 07:37:57 PM
Genuine question.

I'm sat here in the square peg, and just saw an nx56 go round Priory Square. My mind wondered a bit and this is a question I've always asked myself. Why does this route even exist? Why not run the 59 all day every day?
Same question applies to the 28, if the route between Heartlands hospital and Small Heath is so necessary, why not run the 28a (or whatever it's called atm) all day every day, instead of extending the 28? I know that used to be the route years ago but it bears less and less resemblance nowadays to the daytime route it seems a bit out of place.

When NWM/Centro started doing all the network reviews and started to get rid of some of these routes (especially around Walsall) I was hoping they'd go the whole hog and sort al of them out.

Curious. What are peoples thoughts?
Replacing the 56 with a 59 might not just make that service unviable as it would be120 minute round trip instead of the90 for the 56, but also the 70 as that would also require an extra half a bus

Kevin

Here's an even stranger one, now the 424 and 425 have been combined, there's a part of Hamstead (tanhouse avenue and valley road) that only has a bus service a few times late afternoon / early evening and during the day on Sunday thanks to the weird 654a extension

monkeyjoe

56 used to be tendered between Castle Brom - Kingshurst and the 28 between Broadway - Small Heath. Not sure if its still the case.

John

Quote from: monkeyjoe on November 09, 2014, 02:26:10 PM
56 used to be tendered between Castle Brom - Kingshurst and the 28 between Broadway - Small Heath. Not sure if its still the case.

The 28 is still tendered on that section on Evenings and Sundays

Kevin

The whole route or just that section? Because if it's just that section then why can't it be a separate route like the daytime 28a?

John

Quote from: Kevin on November 09, 2014, 03:36:56 PM
The whole route or just that section? Because if it's just that section then why can't it be a separate route like the daytime 28a?

I believe only the Small Heath section is tendered. I would like to see it as a separate route all the time as our OmniLinks are unsuitable for Oldknow Rd, they are too big for such a narrow road. I also don't see the need for it to be on the night service, as you mostly carry fresh air, Sunday daytimes you do carry a few people and I can't see why igo couldn't run it in the day

monkeyjoe

The 56 is a completely different corridor route to the 59. The 56 is a Washwood heath rd corridor route the 59 is Coventry Rd corridor route. So to have the 59 run eves and Sun makes no logical sense as they have different purposes.

Kevin

Quote from: monkeyjoe on November 09, 2014, 10:39:18 PM
The 56 is a completely different corridor route to the 59. The 56 is a Washwood heath rd corridor route the 59 is Coventry Rd corridor route. So to have the 59 run eves and Sun makes no logical sense as they have different purposes.

But the 56 between shard end and kungshurst is the same as the 59, using your argument you could say that the areas it serves are Washwood heath corridor therefore the 59 via coventry rd makes no sense

monkeyjoe

You hardly get the same numbers between shard yorkshill estate and kingshurst (this part when it was the 92 was tendered so they just merged the two parts together)  as you do between City via Washwood heath rd and clock garage. The remainder of the 59 shard - city via coventry road does not warrant eve/ sunday service. I'm surprised it performs that well during the day as it is.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk