News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Birmingham Central Garage

Started by Liverpool Street, July 01, 2013, 05:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Quote from: MasterPlan on April 01, 2018, 05:05:48 PM
I'd imagine it's blue because the X61 is also.blue.

Surprised it doesn't mention the X61 though like the 63 is on the platinums.

I point you to the difference between 51 and X51 branding...
A shame really, personally thought the italic version of X51 on the Geminis worked quite well alongside the 51
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

MasterPlan

Quote from: Kevin on April 01, 2018, 05:24:26 PM
A shame really, personally though the italic version of X51 on the Geminis worked quite well alongside the 51

I'm just guessing at why! I'm not saying it's always the case.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Jack

A shame really, personally thought the italic version of X51 on the Geminis worked quite well alongside the 51
Me too. Those 46** Beasts that use to be on the route (so were the E400's!)  are way better than those sheds that are now on the X51. The blue X51 branding was fairly smart on the 46** and it loooked good alongside the branded E400's on the 51.

Mike K

Quote from: MasterPlan on April 01, 2018, 05:05:48 PM
I'd imagine it's blue because the X61 is also.blue.

Surprised it doesn't mention the X61 though like the 63 is on the platinums.

The X61 is more of a turquoise blue - similar to the colour in the old Arriva livery. I thought they'd have kept the colour the same as the X61.

Mike K

I think the only reason the X51 became green was because of the interworking with the 997, and the need for a common generic branding. It's been stated before that the aim is to keep all main corridors one colour, the X51 is an exception to that rule.

MasterPlan

Quote from: Mike K on April 01, 2018, 06:27:40 PM
The X61 is more of a turquoise blue - similar to the colour in the old Arriva livery. I thought they'd have kept the colour the same as the X61.

That is true. Also I notice that it only says Bristol Road, not mentioning any destination points like branding usually does (unless it does on the back). Is that because the route is changing?

Dylanbusboy45

5503 and 5508 now 63 branded

The back does list key places served - see attachment

MasterPlan

Quote from: Dylanbusboy45 on April 02, 2018, 05:43:19 PM
5503 and 5508 now 63 branded

The back does list key places served - see attachment

Good picture that. Looks smart, though I notice it doesn't mention Frankley. An indicator of what's to come, perhaps?

Also, does it still mention the university hop? Or is that no longer running?

Quote from: MasterPlan on April 02, 2018, 06:53:59 PM
Good picture that. Looks smart, though I notice it doesn't mention Frankley. An indicator of what's to come, perhaps?

Perhaps it doesn't mention it, because the university hop is only for University of Birmingham Staff & Students and NHS Staff with student or staff identification and not open for the public to buy?
http://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/information/useful-information/university-hop
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MasterPlan

Quote from: 2206 on April 02, 2018, 06:59:46 PM
Perhaps it doesn't mention it, because the university hop is only for University of Birmingham Staff & Students and NHS Staff with student or staff identification and not open for the public to buy?
http://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/information/useful-information/university-hop

Hasn't that always been the case though?

Quote from: MasterPlan on April 02, 2018, 07:02:48 PM
Hasn't that always been the case though?
I forgot about those vinyls advertising it they put on the windows, sorry.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Dylanbusboy45

Quote from: MasterPlan on April 02, 2018, 06:53:59 PM

Thanks. Yes I noticed Frankley is not mentioned so maybe the 63 is being shortened unless they don't consider Frankley as a key destination

MasterPlan

Quote from: Dylanbusboy45 on April 02, 2018, 07:19:35 PM
Thanks. Yes I noticed Frankley is not mentioned so maybe the 63 is being shortened unless they don't consider Frankley as a key destination

Lol, you'd have thought the outbound terminus would be a key destination really. From what the branding suggests, I'd hazard a guess at maybe the 63 might make a return to the Great Park terminus? Though perhaps it would say  Rubery Great Park and not just Rubery.

CL

In fairness, the ones above the "to and from City Centre" bit are just 'via points'

The other examples I could think of where a terminus is not mentioned is the Pershore Road branding, even though it's a corridor. Despite that, I think there's some credence in my point.

All in all, I think it just comes down to spacing, and equally the size of the lettering that is used - which makes it somewhat legible from a distance. The B5LH's weird rear layout cetrainly doesn't help with this, else I suppose there'd have been some mention of the X61 on there... From a personal opinion, I'm not a fan of the "return of the roundels". I mean, they look great on the WB E400s for the 5 & the 80, but I don't think it suits the Crimson livery all too much. Not only does it add another variation in the style of branding, but I think it's far too large for the B5's body; taking up valuable branding space, which could otherwise have been used to mention more key areas/stops.
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Dylanbusboy45

Quote from: CL on April 02, 2018, 11:42:13 PM
In fairness, the ones above the "to and from City Centre" bit are just 'via points'

The other examples I could think of where a terminus is not mentioned is the Pershore Road branding, even though it's a corridor. Despite that, I think there's some credence in my point.

All in all, I think it just comes down to spacing, and equally the size of the lettering that is used - which makes it somewhat legible from a distance. The B5LH's weird rear layout cetrainly doesn't help with this, else I suppose there'd have been some mention of the X61 on there... From a personal opinion, I'm not a fan of the "return of the roundels". I mean, they look great on the WB E400s for the 5 & the 80, but I don't think it suits the Crimson livery all too much. Not only does it add another variation in the style of branding, but I think it's far too large for the B5's body; taking up valuable branding space, which could otherwise have been used to mention more key areas/stops.
Rubery is a possibility yes. Maybe Run the 98 left from Rubery Flyover Cock Hill Lane (currently right towards Great Park) down the High Street and via current 63 route

Pershore Road probably doesn't mention the via points as they go different ways after Cotteridge with the 45 going via West Heath to Longbridge and 47 via Turves Green to Cofton

I think you are right there, the B5s have a weird layout and the roundels take a lot of space whilst not really saying where the route goes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk