News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Swift Card

Started by Stu, April 09, 2012, 11:24:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the trainbasher

Quote from: Kevin on August 21, 2017, 05:48:16 PM
So I've been waiting 10 mins for the bus in town, bus stop is empty when I get there, queue builds up behind me with a number of people clutching paper passes and daysavers (in or out of date), and you want me to get on last when there's no seats left?
How about no

Well said. They should make paper pass holders go last as to allow for the extra checks of validity

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Jack

Quote from: Kevin on August 21, 2017, 05:48:16 PM
So I've been waiting 10 mins for the bus in town, bus stop is empty when I get there, queue builds up behind me with a number of people clutching paper passes and daysavers (in or out of date), and you want me to get on last when there's no seats left?
How about no
People do block the doorway though. When you try and overtake with a paper pass you get 'huffs' and 'puffs' from Swift Card users as they don't like to be overtaken. In all honesty many people try and argue, there's nothing you can do.

Kevin

Quote from: Jack B on August 21, 2017, 05:51:40 PM
People do block the doorway though. When you try and overtake with a paper pass you get 'huffs' and 'puffs' from Swift Card users as they don't like to be overtaken. In all honesty many people try and argue, there's nothing you can do.

People who pay cash also block the doors, people with prams also block the doors
The doors are only that wide, have some patience, everyone has the same chance to get on the bus and the driver has to make sure too many people don't get on

Also, of course you'll get people huffing and puffing at you, mainly because it's just rude to push past
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

John

I find it so ignorant when people push past others scanning passes. usually the fare dodgers do it when they think you are not looking. People are very impatient when getting on the bus. I just give them a dirty look

Stu

Quote from: Jack B on August 21, 2017, 05:51:40 PM

When I was your age, I was taught to be polite and patient, if there is a queue wait your turn and let the person in front finish first. This is a reason I hate the design of modern bus shelters (especially those in the city centre), the older layouts would allow a queue to form, with everyone being able to take their turn.

Many people nowadays are just selfish, impatient and inconsiderate of anybody but themselves, hence why when the bus doors open it becomes a free-for-all to get on. Some people won't even make space to allow passengers to get off the bus first!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Jack

Quote from: Stu on August 21, 2017, 06:33:08 PM
When I was your age, I was taught to be polite and patient, if there is a queue wait your turn and let the person in front finish first. This is a reason I hate the design of modern bus shelters (especially those in the city centre), the older layouts would allow a queue to form, with everyone being able to take their turn.

Many people nowadays are just selfish, impatient and inconsiderate of anybody but themselves, hence why when the bus doors open it becomes a free-for-all to get on. Some people won't even make space to allow passengers to get off the bus first!
The Solihull bus stops are bad aswell. Had an arguement over someone pushing in at a crowded 37 Stop. People who don't make space for the current passengers to get off is just selfish. I usually wait until the driver says I can get on. Before everyone starts on me going that it's rude that I overtake people, I do it to the people who shake their pass around on the Smartcard reader (not having a clue how to use it) and people who like to hold up the bus by trying to have a useless conversation with the driver. I know how to use the bus, I've been taught how to be polite, it's just my opinion sounds harsh.

Gareth

Quote from: Jack B on August 21, 2017, 06:43:59 PM
The Solihull bus stops are bad aswell. Had an arguement over someone pushing in at a crowded 37 Stop. People who don't make space for the current passengers to get off is just selfish. I usually wait until the driver says I can get on. Before everyone starts on me going that it's rude that I overtake people, I do it to the people who shake their pass around on the Smartcard reader (not having a clue how to use it) and people who like to hold up the bus by trying to have a useless conversation with the driver. I know how to use the bus, I've been taught how to be polite, it's just my opinion sounds harsh.

Rather than the overtaking and complaining about people not knowing how to use a smart card or the bus, you could do something positive and maybe teach them how to use their pass correctly to speed up everyone's journey.

Jack

Quote from: Gareth on August 21, 2017, 10:29:42 PM
Rather than the overtaking and complaining about people not knowing how to use a smart card or the bus, you could do something positive and maybe teach them how to use their pass correctly to speed up everyone's journey.
Why should I have to teach them how to use their pass? I'm sorry but if they have a smart card or Swift then they should know how to use it. They got given the Swift Card so they should know what to do. Even if I tried to teach someone you'll just get a load of attitude. That's Birmingham for you. I'm not to blame for people shaking their pass on the reader, it's their own fault.

Gareth

Quote from: Jack B on August 21, 2017, 10:34:25 PM
Why should I have to teach them how to use their pass? I'm sorry but if they have a smart card or Swift then they should know how to use it. They got given the Swift Card so they should know what to do. Even if I tried to teach someone you'll just get a load of attitude. That's Birmingham for you.

Just because you're given something doesn't mean you automatically know how to use it. No matter how easy it is for others. OAP passes were automatically changed to smart card and nBus got changed automatically to swift.
To you, me and many others it's completely obvious how to use a smart card. But it's obviously not that obvious to others.

Jack

Quote from: Gareth on August 21, 2017, 10:40:10 PM
Just because you're given something doesn't mean you automatically know how to use it. No matter how easy it is for others. OAP passes were automatically changed to smart card and nBus got changed automatically to swift.
To you, me and many others it's completely obvious how to use a smart card. But it's obviously not that obvious to others.
I use a Paper Pass, but I know how people use the card reader. There is adverts on vehicles that show how to use card reader's, as usual knowone takes any notice of them and struggle to use it. I use the bus network to get to places, not show people how to use the card reader.

Quote from: Jack B on August 21, 2017, 10:43:05 PM
I use a Paper Pass, but I know how people use the card reader. There is adverts on vehicles that show how to use card reader's, as usual knowone takes any notice of them and struggle to use it. I use the bus network to get to places, not show people how to use the card reader.
What notices on the bus, that show them how to use the card readers because i've never seen one.

Though when you first get your card they do come with a information booklet/letter from TFWM/NX explaining exactly how to use the cards and everything you'd need to know about, so there shouldn't realy be anything to be confused about.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Jack

Quote from: 2206 on August 21, 2017, 10:51:25 PM
What notices on the bus, that show them how to use the card readers because i've never seen one.

Though when you first get your card they do come with a information booklet/letter from TFWM/NX explaining exactly how to use the cards and everything you'd need to know about, so there shouldn't realy be anything to be confused about.
A good number have them. 1868 has one right at the front and tells you to keep it still until the green light appears.

CL

Seems as though my unpopular opinion may have caused quite a stir. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ironically, my original post was meant to highlight the impatience of the possessors of Swift cards who don't keep their cards still on the readers - as they wait for them to scan. I didn't realise how controversial my last statement would be, and I can only apologise for such an inconsiderate act. Believe it or not, I am an owner of a Pay-as-you-go Swift card. My original purpose was to use it on the smaller operators only; such as Diamond or iGo whenever I find myself in situations where I am short of change. I rarely use it on NX buses, though when I have, I often wait for the other passengers to board before me.

Since the beginning of the Spring Term (this year), I found myself upgrading from the standard NX-only Term Plus pass to the nBus Term pass; and then the nBus + Metro, for the Summer Term of 2017; rendering my PAYG Swift card (essentially) redundant. My point being, come the new school term, when I am issued with my Term pass on a Swift card - I will have reconsidered my original thoughts of smartcard users... The introduction of the new ticket machines/card readers will help also.
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk