News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Issues 4/4H/4M

Started by Wba_lad, December 28, 2023, 09:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wba_lad

This is a new thread for the 4/4H/4M issues, instead of keep usinging festive timetables.

Westy

Wouldnt it been best to move over the relavant posts as well?

Jack

There isn't really any 4/4H/4M issues, just people moaning that's it got Single Deckers, running late or not understanding Deckers can't go on there!

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Jack on December 28, 2023, 10:10:41 AMThere isn't really any 4/4H/4M issues, just people moaning that's it got Single Deckers, running late or not understanding Deckers can't go on there!
Exactly, that's the point. So subject closed then!

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: Steve3229vp on December 28, 2023, 10:36:04 AMExactly, that's the point. So subject closed then!
Yep The 4M will be late Merry Hill at this time of year is no go. There are roadworks on the route in Tame Bridge, Double Deckers can't go on it and there are less buses now Diamond have reduced frequency. We explained all this so Subject closed indeed
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

don

Quote from: Jack on December 28, 2023, 10:10:41 AMThere isn't really any 4/4H/4M issues, just people moaning that's it got Single Deckers, running late or not understanding Deckers can't go on there!
Really? 

Notwithstanding late running issues, overcrowding and waiting passengers being passed by full buses (all of which would be major issues to some people on here, in other areas) and there's a more fundamental one here. As I understand it, it's been designed and negotiated by TfWM with the operators so that there is a fitted timetable - even then it's not clear that it covers demand without overcrowding at times - and come Bank Holiday one operator chooses not to operate, creating issues for passengers. Sounds like major issues to me on an important corridor. 

I do agree that it's probably pointless talking about it on here and those with complaints should direct them to TfWM - however at least people can post in this thread if and when issues do occur. 

Regarding single deckers, there's also the issue of running buses from Walsall depot to the terminus via Bridgeman Street. However that's surely not insurmountable - they could run down Pleck Road and back into Bradford Place - slightly less convenient operationally but even if single deckers are to continue, zero emission ones will be too tall for that bridge. 
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

Jack

Quote from: don on December 28, 2023, 01:32:28 PMReally?

Notwithstanding late running issues, overcrowding and waiting passengers being passed by full buses (all of which would be major issues to some people on here, in other areas) and there's a more fundamental one here. As I understand it, it's been designed and negotiated by TfWM with the operators so that there is a fitted timetable - even then it's not clear that it covers demand without overcrowding at times - and come Bank Holiday one operator chooses not to operate, creating issues for passengers. Sounds like major issues to me on an important corridor.

I do agree that it's probably pointless talking about it on here and those with complaints should direct them to TfWM - however at least people can post in this thread if and when issues do occur.

Regarding single deckers, there's also the issue of running buses from Walsall depot to the terminus via Bridgeman Street. However that's surely not insurmountable - they could run down Pleck Road and back into Bradford Place - slightly less convenient operationally but even if single deckers are to continue, zero emission ones will be too tall for that bridge.
I think everyone knows the 4 group have late issues at times, like the 28 does serving many traffic hotspots. The frequency on the 4 (404) has been the same for many years and if there's an overcrowding bus or late bus there's usually another not far behind, also considering you have Diamond too to help out. The issue is the reduced frequency on a busy corridor on a boxing day, with also another operator not running to help out, but I do think a lot of the moaning is exaggerated. I would understand about the 11/11A as they are awful and nothing has happened to them regarding frequency, the 4 group run a lot more at ease than those do!

The moaning about Deckers is also a lost cause. Are you expecting passengers of the busy Birmingham services to lose their much needed Deckers for Single Deckers? No. I'm sure if the 4 (404) was much of need of Deckers then they would have had them back in the WB days instead of a batch of Merc's and Scania's. I don't recall WB using Deckers much on the 404 and even at Walsall prior to Covid it was a very last resort. Diamond have used Deckers on the 4/4H before and obviously can't now thanks to the bridge that apparently you can just ignore a compulsory red circle!

Quote from: Jack on December 28, 2023, 02:22:56 PMI'm sure if the 4 (404) was much of need of Deckers then they would have had them back in the WB days instead of a batch of Merc's and Scania's.
Though back in those days lots of high frequency routes got batches of single deckers. And that was long ago to, maybe passenger numbers have increased since then
The 16 and 97 got a batch of Omnilinks, 74, 94 had mercs.

In the recent years routes 6, X21/X22, 72, 55 at least were converted to predominantly double deck.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Jack

Quote from: 2206 on December 28, 2023, 02:26:35 PMThough back in those days lots of high frequency routes got batches of single deckers.
The 16 and 97 got a batch of Omnilinks.
The 404 has traditionally been single decker, as I said the combined frequency hasn't changed much at all over the years so I'm not sure what you're supposed to be saying? Either way back when the Scania's were new the combined frequency is every 6 minutes and that's been the case for many years...

If the service was in need of being even more frequent I'm sure they would have done this quite some time ago.

Quote from: Jack on December 28, 2023, 02:28:35 PMThe 404 has traditionally been single decker
Was it double decker operated before the Mercs?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

busfan2847

Yes, before the road was resurfaced it was a Metrobus route in the 1990s, before transitioning to more Lynxes then Mercedes in 1997/8.

BlackCountryBusSpotter

The only time the 4 has had Doubles was during Covid there were photos of 44×× on loan to WA and I think some went to WN 46×× 45×× and Platniums on the 4 only I'm not sure if they did go on the 4H or 4M but you can't ignore company advice to go under a low bridge even if Buses are exempt
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

winston

Quote from: BlackCountryBusSpotter on December 28, 2023, 03:33:13 PMThe only time the 4 has had Doubles was during Covid there were photos of 44×× on loan to WA and I think some went to WN 46×× 45×× and Platniums on the 4 only I'm not sure if they did go on the 4H or 4M but you can't ignore company advice to go under a low bridge even if Buses are exempt
Platinum's operated on the 4H during Covid too, they used to come past my window

spacecowboy150

Why cant we use DDs on 4s if they were used during covid

PB50

Quote from: spacecowboy150 on December 28, 2023, 04:26:08 PMWhy cant we use DDs on 4s if they were used during covid
Apparently the height restriction has changed on the bridge since they were using double deckers during covid.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk