News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

X1 transfers to Coventry 22/10/2023

Started by JPC, September 16, 2023, 02:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPC

This has been 'on the cards' for some time and a recent amendment to the registration for the X1( / X2 "900")
indicates/confirms the service is to be operated by NXC from 22nd October. 

The following week (half-term) might have been a better choice of date for the 'new' drivers to start off, lighter traffic, etc.
I suppose many will be interested to see what happens with the overnight journeys.
It could be a niche allocation for the 'odd' E020-29 stock if that doesn't complicate things and hoping this doesn't mean deckers are pulled off the 17/17A - this is just my personal opinion/cravings. :wink:

Stu

Quote from: JPC on September 16, 2023, 02:09:00 PMI suppose many will be interested to see what happens with the overnight journeys.

Looking at the current timetable, depending on how long drivers are allowed to drive without a lengthy break, I would guess it feasible to have one duty begin at Coventry, do the last evening 'full run' to Birmingham, then do the couple of shorts to/from the Airport, before returning to Coventry on the 'first' morning run.

I guess it all depends on how well those overnight shorts are used, if the patronage isn't there then the opportunity could be taken to withdraw them.

The other possibility is that BC continue to operate those.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MW

Quote from: Stu on September 16, 2023, 04:54:59 PMLooking at the current timetable, depending on how long drivers are allowed to drive without a lengthy break, I would guess it feasible to have one duty begin at Coventry, do the last evening 'full run' to Birmingham, then do the couple of shorts to/from the Airport, before returning to Coventry on the 'first' morning run.

I guess it all depends on how well those overnight shorts are used, if the patronage isn't there then the opportunity could be taken to withdraw them.

The other possibility is that BC continue to operate those.

5.5 hours is the legal maximum driving time without a break.

Stu

Quote from: MW on September 16, 2023, 07:02:38 PM5.5 hours is the legal maximum driving time without a break.
So in theory (looking at the current weekday timetable) what I suggest could be possible?

With a slightly rejigged timetable, a driver could start duty from Pool Meadow just after midnight, drive to Birmingham, then do the 'shorts' to the Airport and back, then return to Coventry just after 4am, and that would be legal?

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MW

Quote from: Stu on September 16, 2023, 07:25:11 PMSo in theory (looking at the current weekday timetable) what I suggest could be possible?

With a slightly rejigged timetable, a driver could start duty from Pool Meadow just after midnight, drive to Birmingham, then do the 'shorts' to the Airport and back, then return to Coventry just after 4am, and that would be legal?

4 hours driving stint? Yeah it's legal.

TT90

Are BC getting another route into it from somewhere to replace the X1, and I guess some BC drivers will want to transfer over to CV with the route ? . :huh:

LiamsTransport1

Quote from: TT90 on September 17, 2023, 12:32:42 PMAre BC getting another route into it from somewhere to replace the X1, and I guess some BC drivers will want to transfer over to CV with the route ? . :huh:
I believe it was mentioned elsewhere on this forum that the 14 would be returning to Central with the X14 going back to Perry Barr.
Local routes: 19/20/20A/27/39/39A/49/55/63/145/202

GoldenSquid

Quote from: LiamsTransport1 on September 17, 2023, 03:49:31 PMI believe it was mentioned elsewhere on this forum that the 14 would be returning to Central with the X14 going back to Perry Barr.
14 PB > BC
X14 BC > PB
X21 Sunday hourly service extended to Merry Hill
Local Routes: 14/71/72/94/95/96/97/X12/X13

metrocity

Quote from: MW on September 16, 2023, 07:02:38 PM5.5 hours is the legal maximum driving time without a break.
Potentially longer than this if operators follow the 8.5 hour rule

cvbususer

Silly question, but presumably Coventry have enough fleet capacity for this? Currently bustimes shows around 10 vehicles on the road at the moment. 

Was this always factored into the electrics order, or will the cascade of SDs slow to free up more DDs for this route? I guess that this is also one of the highest mileage routes an electric would cover in one day, so be interesting to see range limitations (if any) here.

MW

Quote from: cvbususer on September 18, 2023, 08:02:36 AMSilly question, but presumably Coventry have enough fleet capacity for this? Currently bustimes shows around 10 vehicles on the road at the moment.

Was this always factored into the electrics order, or will the cascade of SDs slow to free up more DDs for this route? I guess that this is also one of the highest mileage routes an electric would cover in one day, so be interesting to see range limitations (if any) here.

Some rough maths,

A round trip is around 50 miles and takes 3 hours.

If range is around 200 miles (not sure on exact range but would imagine it's around 200), that means 4 trips or 12 hours.

*wikipedia says 160 miles range, so if that's true as I'm sure the range will vary on type of work, that would mean 3 round trips or 9 hours.

Wumpty

Quote from: MW on September 18, 2023, 09:32:33 AMSome rough maths,

A round trip is around 50 miles and takes 3 hours.

If range is around 200 miles (not sure on exact range but would imagine it's around 200), that means 4 trips or 12 hours.

*wikipedia says 160 miles range, so if that's true as I'm sure the range will vary on type of work, that would mean 3 round trips or 9 hours.
Mathematically, it is certainly feasible. I expect that this was factored in during the anticipated changes. i'd like to see an E-bus on test to see what the *actual* running conditions would have on an E-bus on X1.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Tony

Quote from: Wumpty on September 18, 2023, 09:37:01 AMMathematically, it is certainly feasible. I expect that this was factored in during the anticipated changes. i'd like to see an E-bus on test to see what the *actual* running conditions would have on an E-bus on X1.

The tests were done a couple of months ago where an electric was on the X1 most days for a couple of weeks.

The scheduling will be 3 round trips then into garage for a top up

Wumpty

Quote from: Tony on September 18, 2023, 09:48:58 AMThe tests were done a couple of months ago where an electric was on the X1 most days for a couple of weeks.

The scheduling will be 3 round trips then into garage for a top up
Not far off the maths then!

Excellent!
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

JPC

The new NXC X1 timetable has been uploaded to Traveline today... click HERE to view.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk