News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Driver Shortages and service priorities

Started by Westy, October 29, 2022, 02:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PB2938

Quote from: Westy on November 02, 2022, 09:21:45 PMAnd repeat again tonight!

I'm guessing new drivers should take over those buses, but they're not turning up to take over, so next bus will be 2210, as it comes off a 6?

Just had a look at Monday 31/10 on Bustimes.org, & it was possible to operate the 2010 9 to Wolves, but not the 2110!

Edit- Looks like the 2210 hasn't appeared according to Bustimes.org, and I can't see any reference regarding the 6 it supposed to interwork with either !
The 6 interworks with the 41 at night on some journeys. The 2130 arrival usually changes to 2135 41 WABS. My guess is the driver was doing overtime on the 9 at 2210 till end of board.

952A Rugeley
Via Great Barr,  Walsall, Cheslyn Hay, Cannock, Heath Hayes and Hednesford

Westy

Quote from: PB2938 on November 03, 2022, 08:00:54 PMThe 6 interworks with the 41 at night on some journeys. The 2130 arrival usually changes to 2135 41 WABS. My guess is the driver was doing overtime on the 9 at 2210 till end of board.

Looks like the 2010 9 to Wolverhampton is actually running tonight!

Stu

Driver shortages are clearly causing some issues, where some journeys are unable to operate.

However it does concern me that recent media coverage is attempting to put the blame squarely at the feet of the bus operators, as to why services don't operate or run late.

What is being overlooked is the impact of roadworks and traffic congestion on service reliability.

Operators are adjusting their timetables to try and mitigate the driver shortages, however the (slightly) fewer buses in service end up getting delayed due to congestion on the roads, which results in more passengers trying to cram onto the first bus that turns up.

There currently seems to be a number of major gas and water main renewals across the region, and while I understand and appreciate that this work needs to be undertaken, it baffles me why these 'major projects' cannot be carried out during the school summer holiday periods, when traffic levels are lower and thus less disruption will occur.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Ginger66

Also COVID is still around and is impacting on business.   Also anti social behaviour on route such as kids stoning bus which could result in a bus been taken out of service late at night been that 22:10 could have been pulled out of service or diverted away from area to avoid windows been smashed in.

18WilliamsLi

Quote from: Ginger66 on November 04, 2022, 04:31:02 AMAlso COVID is still around and is impacting on business.  Also anti social behaviour on route such as kids stoning bus which could result in a bus been taken out of service late at night been that 22:10 could have been pulled out of service or diverted away from area to avoid windows been smashed in.
There is also people trying to start buses up in oldbury when the bus has been sitting there no driver 

Westy

Quote from: 18WilliamsLi on November 04, 2022, 07:18:13 AMThere is also people trying to start buses up in oldbury when the bus has been sitting there no driver
What, members of the public?

Ginger66

Noticed on Facebook NX West Midlands Facebook page, NX have acknowledged driver shortages and what goals they are doing to reduce delays 

So looks like more bus partnerships are on the way,. So looks like the Walsall (4/4H/4m) could be the next West Midlands Bus, which could mean and possibly the 16 run by Perry Barr

Quote from: Ginger66 on November 09, 2022, 06:11:19 PMNoticed on Facebook NX West Midlands Facebook page, NX have acknowledged driver shortages and what goals they are doing to reduce delays
Not just NX who miss trips. Arriva missed some on the 110 today, so they have the same problem I imagine.
11:17 to Birmingahm/12:25 to Tamworth Town Centre for instance
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Rachvince53

Let's go (the trading name of Travel express) are only able to put one bus an hour on service 1 on Monday daytimes instead of the 20 minute service.  

MasterPlan

Quote from: Ginger66 on November 09, 2022, 06:11:19 PMNoticed on Facebook NX West Midlands Facebook page, NX have acknowledged driver shortages and what goals they are doing to reduce delays

So looks like more bus partnerships are on the way,. So looks like the Walsall (4/4H/4m) could be the next West Midlands Bus, which could mean and possibly the 16 run by Perry Barr
I saw that myself. I wonder whether it'd mean there'd be more shared routes going forward in addition to the likes of the 16, 50 etc.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Stu

My locals:

Stu

All it says there is:
"Working together with TfWM and other operators. We're working closely through the Bus Alliance to ensure that all operators work together – for example through more partnership routes where passengers can catch any operators' bus."

Which is what has been mooted for some time now, doesn't mean anything is going to happen any time soon.
My locals:

Ginger66

Not sure what happened with Diamond this morning as the 5:25 and 5:45  40 service from Wednesbury to West Bromwich didn't run, I usually catch either of these from Friar Park at 5:36 or 5:56.   

fleetline6477

Quote from: PB2938 on October 30, 2022, 02:07:31 PMHow short are WB . They have some drivers at WA on loan plus from Pensnett and Wolverhampton.  Also some WA school runs from WB

703 New Invention - St Thomas School
705 Gullity Village Barr Beacon

There are new drivers starting but they seem to be gone quick and the shortage doesn't seem to reduce.  5 start 6 leave in one week.

The 703 has certainly run from WB for at least 9 years, so too I think has the 705

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk