News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Bus Services axed/changed from 1st January 2023

Started by 2206, October 11, 2022, 07:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Quote from: MasterPlan on October 20, 2022, 11:04:14 AMLooks like there may be more cuts than at a hairdressers. I saw a petition yesterday about saving buses in South Birmingham, including the 27 and 76.
Do you have a link to this petition please?

As far as I am aware, the 27 and 76 are both subsidised only 'in part', which usually means that some early morning or late evening journeys receive some subsidy from TfWM, or perhaps some part of the route, I don't know for certain.

The 27 was recently reduced to half-hourly, both it and the 76 seem to be fairly well used from my own experiences, so I doubt either of these services are at any major risk.

Given the current political climate, I would be wary of petitions being started that make false or incorrect claims in them, just for 'political point-scoring'.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MW

Quote from: Stu on October 20, 2022, 07:19:13 PMDo you have a link to this petition please?

As far as I am aware, the 27 and 76 are both subsidised only 'in part', which usually means that some early morning or late evening journeys receive some subsidy from TfWM, or perhaps some part of the route, I don't know for certain.

The 27 was recently reduced to half-hourly, both it and the 76 seem to be fairly well used from my own experiences, so I doubt either of these services are at any major risk.

Given the current political climate, I would be wary of petitions being started that make false or incorrect claims in them, just for 'political point-scoring'.

Sections of the 27/76 have gone out to tender around the Northfield area.

The 76 (Solihull to QE) has also gone out to tender in the evenings.

MasterPlan

Quote from: Stu on October 20, 2022, 07:19:13 PMDo you have a link to this petition please?

Yeah that was the one, thanks @2206.

Quote from: 2206 on October 20, 2022, 07:28:14 PMhttps://www.garysambrook.co.uk/news/local-mp-launches-campaign-protect-bus-services

Quote from: MW on October 20, 2022, 07:41:01 PMSections of the 27/76 have gone out to tender around the Northfield area.

From a personal point of view I wouldn't be too bothered about the 76 being cut between Northfield and QE as long as something decent replaced it. Neither the 27 or 76 has really replaced the 29 properly.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Stu

Quote from: MW on October 20, 2022, 07:41:01 PMSections of the 27/76 have gone out to tender around the Northfield area.

Thanks, unless they are choosing not to bid, I would expect NX to win those tenders again.

My locals:

Ginger66

When it mentions partnership routes between NX and Diamond in the WMCA report does this mean routes such as the 16 Hamstead - Birmingham; 4M Walsall - Merry Hill 4H Walsall - Hayley Green become partner West Midlands Bus such as 31/32/40/42 and 43.

Ginger66

Having done a customer service course the one question was about SWOT analysis.

For those that don't know SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats)

It seems NX, Diamond, Stagecoach and First have used this.

The threats could be external forces such as we experienced with COVID that forced the country into lockdown.  

While the opportunity could be Diamond and NX running a joint service such as route 16

PB2938

Which part of 27 is facing cuts. I remember the 35 Kings Heath - Northfield - Hawkesley successfully every 15 minutes with good loadings. How some routes have changed and cut to nothing.
952A Rugeley
Via Great Barr,  Walsall, Cheslyn Hay, Cannock, Heath Hayes and Hednesford

MW

Quote from: PB2938 on October 30, 2022, 02:09:59 PMWhich part of 27 is facing cuts. I remember the 35 Kings Heath - Northfield - Hawkesley successfully every 15 minutes with good loadings. How some routes have changed and cut to nothing.
Parts of the 27 & 76 were out for tender.

The following is on one tender:
27 - Northfield to Maypole (evenings and Sundays)
76 - Northfield to Harborne (evenings and Sundays)

On a seperate tender, the following:
76 - QE to Solihull (evenings only inc Sunday evenings)

Registrations for NX services  WB 22 54 (Perry Barr), 10/10S, PN 10A/10C/24/28/5/5A, BC 25 have been cancelled. Likely due to end of contract.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

the trainbasher

And amendments set to be coming to the WA11/A as the Dudley/Merry Hill section is to be merged with the 250 (which is up for tender as per Diamond Bus website). The PN28 Stourbridge/Merry Hill section is set to be merged to the 142 according to Diamonds site (both the 250 and 142 plus NEW 142A are up for tender according to Diamonds site)

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Stu

Topic title edited as it is not just tendered services being affected.

E&S reports that apparently the X10 is to be curtailed back to Merry Hill - Birmingham.
https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/dudley/2022/11/11/major-black-country-bus-service-may-see-route-cut-at-end-of-year/

QuoteHowever, residents say they have been told by drivers of the bus that the service will cease serving Russells Hall Hospital, Pensnett Trading Estate and Gornal Wood, and instead start at Merry Hill rather than Gornal Wood.
Residents have expressed disappointment as it affects their potential travel to Russells Hall Hospital from Gornal.
The Express & Star approached National Express for a statement, and they did not confirm nor deny the changes.
A spokesperson said: "In common with bus operators nationwide, we are experiencing a shortage of drivers, changes to the school day and lifestyles and fewer passengers; so we are currently reviewing our network.
"We will let the public know as soon as we are able to confirm the exact details of any changes."
Now of course, we should be mindful that drivers don't always know full details and could just be spreading 'rumours', especially if nothing has yet been confirmed or agreed.

Lets also not forget that this part of the route was 'tagged on' to the X10 just a couple of years ago, following some other service changes in the area.

I think its unlikely that this part of the route will be 'lost', but is more likely to end up as part of another route that will see changes as well. Much as what we've seen in the Stourbridge area as revealed by Diamond.

If bus services need to be revised or changed in order to make them more viable, then to me that is understandable from a business point of view. However what concerns me is the apparent lack of consultation with the people who actually use the bus services, ie the passengers.

Discussions on the future of certain bus services, and on how the network should be reshaped, seem to be being carried out 'behind closed doors', and it seems the passengers will end up being the last to know.

Perhaps the bus network does need an overhaul because of the way that passengers' travelling habits have changed in recent years. But please lets have some public consultations, so the travelling public get to have their say on the matter.
My locals:

karl724223

X10 gornal to merry hill is tendered
X10 merry hill to brum is not tendered
That's all I'm saying

Stu

Quote from: karl724223 on November 11, 2022, 08:20:38 PMX10 gornal to merry hill is tendered
That's all I'm saying
Thanks for that, it is interesting that the bus registration details state that the route is not supported by subsidies though.
https://www.vehicle-operator-licensing.service.gov.uk/search/find-registered-local-bus-services/details/594738/

Of course, the registration details could be wrong. (Wouldn't be the first time!)

I still think it is likely this part of the route will just be absorbed into another service.
My locals:

hlliwmai

Quote from: karl724223 on November 11, 2022, 08:20:38 PMX10 gornal to merry hill is tendered
That's all I'm saying

I was always under the impression that if a route is tendered the company operating it can't just decide to stop running it or cut it short because it's being paid for by the council or TfWM.

This is probably the reason why Diamond run some of there tendered routes because they're getting paid to run them regardless of whether they are making money or picking up passengers etc, with the X10 though I have been on it to Gornal and as I remember there were a fair few people on although I guess it depends on the time of day plus I think it's handy for Pensnett drivers who need to go back to garage as the staff buses only run at certain times I'm sure you will clarify @karl724223

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk