News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

4th January 2022 Service Changes

Started by BNH2004, December 10, 2021, 12:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulb1973

Basically the existing 6/6A is being split into two separate routes. The 22 of old (operating until April 1985) covered city - Little Heath which is basically what the eastern end of the 6 is now, with an extension to Victoria Farm via Old Church Rd, Hall Green Rd etc.

Lukeeee2018

JPC

Quote from: Lukeeee2018 on December 22, 2021, 06:15:50 PM
Changes are now on the website, looks interesting anyway...

Thanks

A few more surprises to add to what was already expected, all are really cutbacks.
Looks like a confusing 24 minute frequency on each 6/6A spur.
The new 8 and 9 should be more reliable assuming both are a six bus/two hour cycle in the daytime.
I've come to the conclusion the new 31 (UHCW-Wood End) will make use of the half hour or so of slack time service 3 currently has at UHCW so is a short route of about 12 minutes each way running hourly in the daytime, not much of a useful replacement for the 8A.
On a similar note was it not possible to use the slack time of the hourly Arena Park 5 to extend it to Wilsons Lane as it seems that area is being completely abandoned again though appreciate there is the issue of the low bridge. I assume the 20B departures are replaced with the shorter 20E but the website doesn't yet clarify.

paulb1973

Quote from: JPC on December 23, 2021, 10:52:45 AM
Thanks

A few more surprises to add to what was already expected, all are really cutbacks.
Looks like a confusing 24 minute frequency on each 6/6A spur.
The new 8 and 9 should be more reliable assuming both are a six bus/two hour cycle in the daytime.
I've come to the conclusion the new 31 (UHCW-Wood End) will make use of the half hour or so of slack time service 3 currently has at UHCW so is a short route of about 12 minutes each way running hourly in the daytime, not much of a useful replacement for the 8A.
On a similar note was it not possible to use the slack time of the hourly Arena Park 5 to extend it to Wilsons Lane as it seems that area is being completely abandoned again though appreciate there is the issue of the low bridge. I assume the 20B departures are replaced with the shorter 20E but the website doesn't yet clarify.

I assume this leaves Woodway Lane, Ringwood Highway etc free of a really regular service to the city centre - granted the 20C runs that way. A daytime 20-minute frequency on both the 8 & 9 sounds a bit threadbare to me - a downgrade from every 15 minutes I assume that is. That split 8 (evenings & Sunday) sounds a bit odd. Even more so the new 31, a very curious arrangement.

The revised 9 will cover most of the current 9A in the Stivichall/Finham areas seemingly. But only every 20 mins during the daytime! - I thought this was a flagship Electric bus service.

Every 12 mins combined to Tile Hill/Tanyard Farm sounds reasonable enough, but as you say, an awkward 24 minute on the separate sections.

But as you hint, the loss of the 20B might hit hard - that leaves Oban Rd, Woodshires Rd, Wilson's Lane etc without a service at all [it would appear] and there is no regular NXC service from the Bayton Road area to the city centre now. Perhaps those 20B extensions to Bedworth were a little unnecessary though.

And some other gentle cuts to the 11X, 12 & 13.

Quote from: paulb1973 on December 23, 2021, 03:43:45 PM
But only every 20 mins during the daytime! - I thought this was a flagship Electric bus service.
So you know there is need for more than a 20 minute services?
Seems to be a lot of criticism from you for every single change, do you use any of these routes or are you impacted in anyway at all?
It may well be that with changing travelling patterns over the last 2 years that a 20 minute service is all that is required and passenger numbers may also be down from what they once were. And also NX have driver shortages to I think.

A 20 minute service is better than a hourly one anyway.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

paulb1973

Quote from: 2206 on December 23, 2021, 03:48:13 PM
So you know there is need for more than a 20 minute services?
Seems to be a lot of critisicim from you for every single change, do you use any of these routes or are you impacted in anyway at all?
It may well be that with changing travelling patterns over the last 2 years that a 20 minute service is all that is required and passenger numbers may also be down from what they once were. And also NX have driver shortages to I think.

A 20 minute service is better than a hourly one anyway.

20 minutes may well be fine, obviously better than every half-hour or 40 mins or whatever - but if a service is missing (driver unavailability, breakdown, heavy traffic etc) then that's probably a 40 minute wait. It's a that point you might consider getting a taxi.

I'm not impacted by these changes by and large, I'm just playing devils advocate - but there is already negative feedback on the Christmas & New Year level of services on the official NXC Facebook website - they haven't mentioned these 4/1/22 changes yet!

Quote from: paulb1973 on December 23, 2021, 04:46:05 PM
20 minutes may well be fine, obviously better than every half-hour or 40 mins or whatever - but if a service is missing (driver unavailability, breakdown, heavy traffic etc) then that's probably a 40 minute wait. It's a that point you might consider getting a taxi.

I'm not impacted by these changes by and large, I'm just playing devils advocate - but there is already negative feedback on the Christmas & New Year level of services on the official NXC Facebook website - they haven't mentioned these 4/1/22 changes yet!
Christmas and New Year timetables happen every year due to change in passenger demand and traffic levels. Hardly anything new.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

the trainbasher

Be grateful you have a regular bus service. Some areas barely have a bus service or none at all.

Plus we are still in a pandemic and funding cuts are being made by the government

To be fair, some parts of Coventry would be better served by DRT than standard bus servicea

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

JPC

These changes are probably a fair compromise in between an appropriate provision of service and a fare increase!

If the 20B departures are indeed shortened as '20E' to Old Church Road - there's a good probability they'll [somehow] interwork with Little Heath journeys on service 22.

Again full details/timetables will eventually be revealed - at rather short notice.

JPC

A few updated timetables are now on the NXC website - apart from the new 22 and 31 services which remain unavailable.
I advise clicking on the 9th Jan versions, as the 2nd Jan versions are a mixture of old and new [which is technically correct for that week].

Tanyard Farm will have a confusing arrangement of three 6 and two 6A departures per daytime hour.

It appears the 20B will continue to operate between City and Wilsons Lane (Novotel) - was this just some very poor clarity on the NX website of what is actually happening or has there been some new last minute TfWM funding to maintain the service? - I'm leaning towards poor clarity!.

JoNi

The 31 Hospital to Wood End is only hourly and appears to be bolted on to 3 journey to Hospital via Dorchester Way with very little layover!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk