News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Bus services in Bartley Green

Started by mesub, November 20, 2021, 11:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesub

A week or two ago, I had a flyer through my letterbox from the Councillors for Bartley Green about what they've been doing since their last issue.

There was a section about buses this time though:

Quote from: intouch – working for Bartley Green All Year Round
The Bus services in Bartley Green Ward has seen many changes in recent gears. Route changes and services discontinued, which has done little to improve the overall services or encourage people to use public transport. This issue has become exacerbated by the introduction by this Labour Council of the clear air zone, costing many £8 a day to drive into the City Centre. With no realistic transport alternative available to many, something needs to be done.

Campaign co- Ordinator Kerry Brewer along with Councillors Bruce and John Lines are campaigning with support from West Midlands Mayor Andy Street to review the Bus services in Bartley Green. Ensuring there is a faster, more direct route into the City Centre, routes likened to the old number 12 or 25 bus routes. These issues are to be reviewed along with the dangerous bus terminus on Genners Lane which is causing congestion and a danger to motorists when up to 3 or more busses are parked up. Hopefully we can convince the experts at NX West Midlands to provide the public transport Bartley Green residents deserved.

Whilst this does have a valid point about the 23's terminus, there's no mention about how Bartley Green already has 4 routes serving it (the X21 recently being extended to serve it) as well as the fact that NX have invested new buses for three of those routes.

Just wondered what opinions people had on it.

All typos are made intentionally as that was how it was.
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

Stu

I think it is good for local communities to come together and discuss and bounce around ideas and suggestions to improve local bus services.

However do note that these Conservative councillors do like to bring up the subject of the CAZ in order to beat Labour with, so just be mindful of hidden agendas (I'm a-political and do not support either party by the way).

These councillors have 'assumed' that bus users in Bartley Green need/want a "faster more direct service" to the city centre, but is that what the locals want?

I hope that local residents do come forward with their thoughts, suggestions and comments.

In fact this kind of campaign is what I'm looking for on my website, people organising local campaign groups and getting people involved and engaging with each other.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Quote from: Stu on November 21, 2021, 10:34:40 AM
These councillors have 'assumed' that bus users in Bartley Green need/want a "faster more direct service" to the city centre, but is that what the locals want?
And how would this be achieved, what changes do they suggest?
Isn't the X22 already fairly direct to Bartley Green to and the TFWM BSIP did suggest that route will see increased bus priority at some point to?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Sayeed

Quote from: Stu on November 21, 2021, 10:34:40 AM

However do note that these Conservative councillors do like to bring up the subject of the CAZ in order to beat Labour with, so just be mindful of hidden agendas (I'm a-political and do not support either party by the way).

Not long ago I read that when CAZ came in Portsmouth, there was a comments along the line of by the local councillor (I think) that they didn't want it but had to have it due to pressure of the Central government.
Век живи - век учись

Stu

Quote from: 2206 on November 21, 2021, 11:47:32 AM
And how would this be achieved, what changes do they suggest?
Isn't the X22 already fairly direct to Bartley Green to and the TFWM BSIP did suggest that route will see increased bus priority at some point to?

Well this is the point. At the moment there is just some vague claim about Bartley Green residents needing/wanting a more direct bus to the city centre, because they can't afford the daily £8 CAZ charge.

I would hazard a guess that anyone living in Bartley Green who drives a car that isn't CAZ compliant is probably already driving elsewhere for shopping etc, Halesowen, Northfield and Longbridge are closer than the city centre is for example.

If these councillors are serious about this, what they need to be doing is surveying residents of Bartley Green, and finding out more about their bus use habits.

Due to its location, as a suburb right on the outskirts of the city, a fast direct bus service is not likely to be feasible, as there are few direct main roads, and there are other suburbs on the way that need to be served also.

It may well be the case that Bartley Green residents are quite happy having a choice of three bus services that do go regularly to and from the city centre. It may also be the case that these residents may prefer to travel by bus to Halesowen or Northfield.

Changes should be suggested by the people who use these buses, and it is their views that need to be heard and acted upon.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

mesub

Quote from: Stu on November 21, 2021, 05:06:33 PM
Changes should be suggested by the people who use these buses, and it is their views that need to be heard and acted upon.

Definitely. There's really only so much that can be done.

Personally, I think the bus services around the area are adequate at the moment, especially since there's really only so much that can be done without any solid claims.
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield

MasterPlan

With regards to the 23 terminus, surely it can be cut back to either the X21 terminus on Romsley Road or the X22 Wood Lane terminus. Probably doesn't need to serve Newman anymore anyway now that the X21 does.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Mike K

Quote from: MasterPlan on November 22, 2021, 06:57:06 PM
With regards to the 23 terminus, surely it can be cut back to either the X21 terminus on Romsley Road or the X22 Wood Lane terminus. Probably doesn't need to serve Newman anymore anyway now that the X21 does.

I guess the 23 provides a much more frequent service and a direct link (albeit a bit around the houses) between Newman University and Harborne, Five Ways etc. KE Five Ways school kids also use it as far as the Brett Drive stop (last stop before Newman) getting to / from school.

Mike K

On the subject of the 23 terminus, could the section of road between Cromwell Lane and Genners Lane (the bit called Genners Approach) not be made 'bus only', effectively creating a bus turning circle and terminal point for the 23?

I can't see how it would inconvenience other motorists too much, traffic turning from Genners Lane into Cromwell Lane (or vice versa) would just have to use the junction of those 2 roads, missing out 'cutting the corner' by using Genners Approach. Unless I'm missing something...

mesub

Quote from: Mike K on November 23, 2021, 01:19:07 PM
I guess the 23 provides a much more frequent service and a direct link (albeit a bit around the houses) between Newman University and Harborne, Five Ways etc. KE Five Ways school kids also use it as far as the Brett Drive stop (last stop before Newman) getting to / from school.

Bartley Green kids use the Adams Hill stop as well.

Quote from: Mike K on November 23, 2021, 01:30:12 PM
On the subject of the 23 terminus, could the section of road between Cromwell Lane and Genners Lane (the bit called Genners Approach) not be made 'bus only', effectively creating a bus turning circle and terminal point for the 23?

I can't see how it would inconvenience other motorists too much, traffic turning from Genners Lane into Cromwell Lane (or vice versa) would just have to use the junction of those 2 roads, missing out 'cutting the corner' by using Genners Approach. Unless I'm missing something...

Never actually thought about that and it sounds like a good idea. If it's made one way as well (with buses facing towards the reservoir), then you could probably get 3 buses (or 4 at a stretch).
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk