News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Bus layovers and blocking of bus stops

Started by Steveminor, October 11, 2021, 08:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steveminor

There is an AQPS in place in Birmingham that should limit how long buses are permitted to stay on a bus stop within the AQPS area, however in practice there are a couple of operators who ignore this & face NO penalty as a result. Myself & Simon from Diamond have been most vocal about this in the past.

j789

Quote from: Steveminor on October 11, 2021, 08:57:45 PM
There is an AQPS in place in Birmingham that should limit how long buses are permitted to stay on a bus stop within the AQPS area, however in practice there are a couple of operators who ignore this & face NO penalty as a result. Myself & Simon from Diamond have been most vocal about this in the past.

Perhaps if your own companies used a bit more creative thinking and ran their own routes rather than competing on all ready high frequency routes you wouldn't have to worry about other buses blocking your stop. Take the 50 for example, up to every 4 minutes by NXWM so it figures that there are going to be NXWM buses at that stop at very frequent intervals. It's the same on the 93/94.

Now Steve I don't know how long you've been at Claribels for but when you guys used to run on the 72 out of Solihull, I am sure you saw far worse stop hogging by those little darts in Solihull that used to run on it for another company so you and NXWM couldn't go on the stand.

Steveminor

Operators should also schedule buses so there is a 2-3 min gap between services, so if that's the case why did me the driver & a couple of passengers have to help carry a disabled passenger from a bus because it could get nowhere near the curb on Priory Queensbury dye to the amount of buses just parked up.

Steveminor

@j789 thats one of the reasons why that operator was asked to deregister Solihull services as they were in abeyance of the Solihull AQPS

j789

Quote from: Steveminor on October 11, 2021, 09:46:54 PM
Operators should also schedule buses so there is a 2-3 min gap between services, so if that's the case why did me the driver & a couple of passengers have to help carry a disabled passenger from a bus because it could get nowhere near the curb on Priory Queensbury dye to the amount of buses just parked up.

Yes in theory that scheduling makes sense but the reality of Birmingham traffic means that there is no way to effectively run like that. You must see it daily in your role, like mine, how many delays there are and ultimately even a 5 minute delay would throw that scheduling out of the window. Also, a route like the 50 is a nightmare for drivers to leave the stand unless another bus is behind as passengers keep coming so again sometimes a bus will get stuck at the stop longer than planned.

The alternative, as seen in West Brom bus station with the 404/4 was to have a different stop for each operator but this doesn't seem a popular or effective solution in Birmingham city centre, likely due to service density.

Marge559

A bit like the Claribels 94 drivers who park the buses for lunch and fags, by the toilets at Chelmsley Wood interchange, in excess of 30 minutes, around 12-1:30, blocking the road/unloading for other operators... YJ12 CHH had the honours today. Don't think even NX have 30-40 minute layovers timetabled in!
I don't have any red buses!

Simon Dunn

Quote from: Tony on October 11, 2021, 09:19:36 PM

Tony

I haven't made any comment on any public forum about the service provision by any other operator.  At this moment in time, it would be very easy to pick fault and criticise your employer.  Unless I am provoked I don't make comment.  If you have any specific observations with detail about any of our drivers not acting professionally please let me know, rather than general comments which irritate.   

Simon

Steveminor

@Marge559 there is no trouble or AQPS in chelmsley & yes several nx buses have recently had breaks in chelmsley but as I say there is no problem with this as no trouble or AQPS are in place.

@j789 Whilst I agree with you, there was a time to agree or disagree with the terms of the AQPS, no point agreeing to have a cup of tea then complaining you don't like tea. Also to note I did not say it was a Claribels bus that the disabled passenger needed assistance alighting from

Wumpty

Quote from: Steveminor on October 11, 2021, 05:12:48 PM
Ask nx who block city stops regularly

That wasn't the question I asked Steve, though a predictable answer from you all the same  ::)

I note that a new thread has been created for your (continued) concerns over NX services.

Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Tony

Quote from: Steveminor on October 11, 2021, 09:46:54 PM

Didn't the vehicle have lowering suspension and a ramp capable of coping with not kerb?

Steveminor

It wasn't a wheelchair @Tony rather someone who was not agile enough or confident enough to step down & TBF had the ramp been deployed the angle would most likely have been too steep.
All credit to the driver for his assistance though

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk