News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Coventry service changes - 29th Aug 2021

Started by JPC, July 17, 2021, 12:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulb1973

Quote from: JPC on July 25, 2021, 08:42:59 PM
Furthermore, and after looking at Coundon Cycleway plans, yes it seems the turnaround on Norman Place Road is staying put and will be slightly reduced in size to allow the cycleway to veer behind it's 'floating' bus stop, today the short 5 journeys which are currently only scheduled on a Sunday are turning at the Brownshill Green Rd roundabout which in honestly I think should occur permanently and the turnaround mothballed, it's just one extra stop and has a significant spread of residential area nearby deserving of a more regular bus service.
Closer to the City Centre the plans also show intentions to close the busy junction of Barras Lane with Holyhead Road and open up a new junction on Upper Hill Street to/from the clockwise slip of the Ring Road.

Yes, I hadn't thought of that, but the Brownshill Green Rd/Norman Place Rd roundabout would be sensible. In fact, there are a number of roundabouts beyond that which could be used. Coventry city centre (and the other side of the Ring Road) is full of dead-end roads - so that would be one less.

So from a numbers point of view we lose: 1, 10/10A, 539, 580. But gain: 24, 25/25A, 26, 28, 29/29A - when was the last time a service 10 didn't run at all in Coventry ?

JoNi

Quote from: paulb1973 on July 26, 2021, 03:41:40 PM
Yes, I hadn't thought of that, but the Brownshill Green Rd/Norman Place Rd roundabout would be sensible. In fact, there are a number of roundabouts beyond that which could be used. Coventry city centre (and the other side of the Ring Road) is full of dead-end roads - so that would be one less.

So from a numbers point of view we lose: 1, 10/10A, 539, 580. But gain: 24, 25/25A, 26, 28, 29/29A - when was the last time a service 10 didn't run at all in Coventry ?

Regarding the 10 a very long time ago as it became Pool Meadow to Eastern Green renumbered from 19 in the major revisions in the early eighties a few years before de-regulation, having up to that point been Pool Meadow to Brownshill Green via Allesley Old Road.
Were those changes the last use of 29? It had been renumbered from 9/A because Wumpty only allowed letters for Anti Clockwise circulars. 9A had become 39.

JPC

Quote from: JoNi on July 27, 2021, 12:19:20 PM
Regarding the 10 a very long time ago as it became Pool Meadow to Eastern Green renumbered from 19 in the major revisions in the early eighties a few years before de-regulation, having up to that point been Pool Meadow to Brownshill Green via Allesley Old Road.
Were those changes the last use of 29? It had been renumbered from 9/A because Wumpty only allowed letters for Anti Clockwise circulars. 9A had become 39.

Coventry did have a service 29 which I imagine started sometime around de-regulation and lasted until the April 2006 changes, a variant of the then service 19 (City-Canley) running in the early mornings, evenings and Sundays, taking in Spon End, Hearsall Common, Canley Station, Sheriff Ave, Charter Ave to Curriers Close.  Although Canley Station level crossing was closed in about 2004 and the service re-routed via Herald Ave it still lasted for two further years before being amalgamated to service 19.

paulb1973

Quote from: JPC on July 27, 2021, 06:37:04 PM
Coventry did have a service 29 which I imagine started sometime around de-regulation and lasted until the April 2006 changes, a variant of the then service 19 (City-Canley) running in the early mornings, evenings and Sundays, taking in Spon End, Hearsall Common, Canley Station, Sheriff Ave, Charter Ave to Curriers Close.  Although Canley Station level crossing was closed in about 2004 and the service re-routed via Herald Ave it still lasted for two further years before being amalgamated to service 19.

Correct. From my own notes as at 1/4/06: 29 City Centre - Canley via Hearsall Common & Herald Avenue. I assume on 2/4/06 the changes mentioned above were implemented.

The City, Pool Meadow - Brownshill Green 10 commenced in Coventry Transport days (it was operating as at 1 Jan 1974 and quite possibly earlier than that) and ran until April 1985 in the PTE era. And the next 10 was basically a renumbered service 19 from that point, and I think the number has been in constant use since.

JoNi

Quote from: JPC on July 27, 2021, 06:37:04 PM

Found map from 1988 with 29 going via Canley Level Crossing with 19 going via highway to avoid delays at level crossing. In the same area I assume the mayor's recent announcement of Demand Responsive Transport in Cannon Park and Earlsdon will signal the demise of route 47.

Sandy Lane

Quote from: JPC on July 17, 2021, 12:39:59 AM
As mooted amongst the NXWM threads there is also going to be a fair bit of changes to some services in and around Coventry, so I have listed here a summary of new/revised DVSA registrations known so far, served up with the usual it may be incorrect warning:

Service 5/5A - seemingly shortened to Radford (?)
Service 7/7A/7B - existing service 7 extends to replace the City - Bell Green segment of service 10/10A
Service 24  - replaces the 539 and extends from Kenilworth via Burton Green to Tile Hill
Service 25/25A - replaces the 580
Service 26 - replaces the City Centre - Westwood Business Park segment of service 10A
Service 28 - replaces the City Centre - Tile Hill segment of service 10
Service 29/29A - replaces service 1 with extensions at both ends (from Chapelfields to Radford and Walsgrave to Arena Park?)

These registrations are also amended and may just be timetables only : 3 13 14 17 18 21 85
Nothing up on the NXC website so far from what I can see?

JPC

Looks like Enviro200 840 was doing training duties today for the 'new' 24 route,
The ultimate purpose of the 'Tile Hill' extension is to enhance the link from Burton Green into Kenilworth and I suppose it is probably only two journeys each way per day like the current 539 to/from Malthouse Lane - but still more useful than the existing once a week offering from A&M which hopefully continues for the needy residents of Balsall Common and Carol Green.

I have a feeling two lesser used journeys between Kenilworth Clock and Stoneleigh, i.e first trip from and last trip towards Kenilworth will run direct along Albion St in order to save just about enough time to cover the extension.  Looking forward now to finding out what's going to happen.

paulb1973

Quote from: JPC on August 04, 2021, 05:26:35 PM
Looks like Enviro200 840 was doing training duties today for the 'new' 24 route,
The ultimate purpose of the 'Tile Hill' extension is to enhance the link from Burton Green into Kenilworth and I suppose it is probably only two journeys each way per day like the current 539 to/from Malthouse Lane - but still more useful than the existing once a week offering from A&M which hopefully continues for the needy residents of Balsall Common and Carol Green.

I have a feeling two lesser used journeys between Kenilworth Clock and Stoneleigh, i.e first trip from and last trip towards Kenilworth will run direct along Albion St in order to save just about enough time to cover the extension.  Looking forward now to finding out what's going to happen.

I suppose this could have been renumbered 39 (and the 580 to 80) rather than 24, 25 etc. The 585 lost the first '5' a while back (granted, not on Sunday).

JoNi

Most new timetables have appeared on Traveline West Midlands
5A is back City to Kingsbury Road

OH25

from the timetables provided:

1 - Coventry to Coundon via Earlsdon (Mon-Sat every 60 mins) extended from Chapelfields
2 - Coventry to Tile Hill South via Earlsdon (Mon-Sat every 30 mins & Sun 60 mins)

5 - Coventry to Whitmore Park/Longford (Mon-Sat every 30 mins but one of the two buses per hour will go to Longford Tesco & Sun every 60 mins to Whitmore Park)
5A - Coventry to Coundon (Mon-Sat every 30 mins & Sun every 60 mins)

7 - Bell Green to Brownshill Green (Mon-Sun every 30 mins)
7A - Bell Green to Coundon (Mon-Sat every 30 mins) same terminus as 5A in Coundon (Morfa Gardens)
7B - Cardinal Wiseman School to Brownshill Green (school service)

nothing has been stated about the 10/10A/10B

18A - Coventry to Tile Hill South (extended from Westwood Business Park)
19 - Coventry to Westwood Business Park  (Mon-Sat every 30 mins)

24 - Coventry to Tile Hill Station via Kenilworth (Mon-Sat from Cov 8:05/9:05 then every 2 hours until 15:05)
25 - Coventry to Rugby (Mon-Sat from Cov 6:50/7:35 to Ryton only/ 10:05 then every 2 hours until 16:05)
25A - Coventry to Bourton (Mon-Sat from Cov 17:10 to Ryton only and 18:10)+(06:44 from Bourton and 08:15 from Ryton)

85 - Coventry to Rugby (Mon-Sat has an all day service with an 85B service in the gaps of this timetable)
85A is withdrawn and included with the above 85 service

85S - Coventry to Rugby
585S - Coventry to Rugby (leaves 5 mins after the above 85S from Coventry at 7:15)

Routes 3, 8/8A, 9/9A, 13/13A, 14/14A, 17/17A, 18, 21/21A all have changes to the timetables

I believe that is everything based off what the website is showing.

JoNi

Quote from: OH25 on August 11, 2021, 02:52:49 PM

1 - Coventry to Coundon via Earlsdon (Mon-Sat every 60 mins) extended from Chapelfields
2 - Coventry to Tile Hill South via Earlsdon (Mon-Sat every 30 mins & Sun 60 mins)

5 - Coventry to Whitmore Park/Longford (Mon-Sat every 30 mins but one of the two buses per hour will go to Longford Tesco & Sun every 60 mins to Whitmore Park)

7A - Bell Green to Coundon (Mon-Sat every 30 mins) same terminus as 5A in Coundon (Morfa Gardens)

24 - Coventry to Tile Hill Station via Kenilworth (Mon-Sat from Cov 8:05/9:05 then every 2 hours until 15:05)
25 - Coventry to Rugby (Mon-Sat from Cov 6:50/7:35 to Ryton only/ 10:05 then every 2 hours until 16:05)
25A - Coventry to Bourton (Mon-Sat from Cov 17:10 to Ryton only and 18:10)+(06:44 from Bourton and 08:15 from Ryton)

85 - Coventry to Rugby (Mon-Sat has an all day service with an 85B service in the gaps of this timetable)

85S - Coventry to Rugby
585S - Coventry to Rugby (leaves 5 mins after the above 85S from Coventry at 7:15)

Routes 3, 8/8A, 9/9A, 13/13A, 14/14A, 17/17A, 18, 21/21A all have changes to the timetables

At face value
7A Bell Grn - City - Holyhead -  Morfa Gdns becomes 5A City and back then 7A Bell Green. Rounder Takes 2.5 hours, running half hourly.
7 Bell Grn - Brown Grn Rounder two hours.
7/7A every 15 Bell Grn

JoNi

10/A withdrawn

9/A will go direct from station via Leamington Road
19 will mop up Humphreys Burton Road from 9/A (losing their evening and Sunday service) then doubling back to reach Kenilworth Road.

paulb1973

Quote from: OH25 on August 11, 2021, 02:52:49 PM

85S - Coventry to Rugby

5A is basically the old very short 6 service to Kingsbury Rd (which was actually numbered 5A until the late 70s). I assume the 5A/7A will use the terminus at Kingsbury Road (the bus shelter outside the Brooklands pub) rather than directly outside Morfa Gardens - unless they can turn around there? On the same theme, where does this extended 1 turn around?

JoNi

Quote from: paulb1973 on August 11, 2021, 05:39:45 PM
5A is basically the old very short 6 service to Kingsbury Rd (which was actually numbered 5A until the late 70s). I assume the 5A/7A will use the terminus at Kingsbury Road (the bus shelter outside the Brooklands pub) rather than directly outside Morfa Gardens - unless they can turn around there? On the same theme, where does this extended 1 turn around?
Assume weekdays buses will stop at Morfa Gardens change destinations and drive on after three minute hesitation. On Sundays it still says Morfa Gardens so I assume bus will nip over to by then redundant Chapelfields turning circle and go back to city.

Lukeeee2018

I've noticed that the 0734 14 service from Eastern Green now continues to Bluecoat School, and this is the same in the afternoon with a 14 leaving the school for 1515, which then continues to town and then on with the normal line of route.

This may have replaced Thandi's S4 service which ran around Eastern Green (very similar sections to the 14) and then on to Bluecoat. It looks to be doing the current 3S bit too from the City Centre.

Both the 14 and 18 have seemed to have 15 minute frequency during peak times too which is a plus!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk