News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Mask Wearing

Started by bususer28, July 14, 2021, 05:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bususer28

Just had a look on my news feed and it's come up that Andy Street expects customers to continue wearing masks on public transport after 19th July. Based on this, can I assume NX are following this guidance and that masks are mandated but not by law?

Tony

Quote from: bususer28 on July 14, 2021, 05:24:40 PM
Just had a look on my news feed and it's come up that Andy Street expects customers to continue wearing masks on public transport after 19th July. Based on this, can I assume NX are following this guidance and that masks are mandated but not by law?

No, as already stated. Who would enforce it and how?

Quote from: bususer28 on July 14, 2021, 05:24:40 PM
I think it means not mandatory,  but still advised by TFWM unless exempt for medical reason I would think, so presumably WMR wouldn't need to change their current announcements.
"TFWM does not have the power to make face coverings mandatory across all modes of public transport. Any changes in the law around the wearing of face coverings must come from the Government." copied from facebook page.
But without mandate by law it can not be enforced at all I think and NX can not mandate them.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Tony on July 14, 2021, 05:32:43 PM
No, as already stated. Who would enforce it and how?
Can it be included in the Conditions of Carriage ?

Gareth

Quote from: Steve3229vp on July 14, 2021, 06:42:01 PM

Yes it can. But how many other conditions of carriage are broken every day where nothing can be done to enforce?

Quote from: Steve3229vp on July 14, 2021, 06:42:01 PM
Whos going to enforce it though when some people currently just walk on without paying on NX, Claribel, etc buses?

And what would the consequence be for those who don't follow it? Refusing service? If so who's going to refuse them service?
Though the equality act would act complexity to that I think re those exempt for medical reasons, so can't refuse them I think, so couldn't be blanket no travel, so would have to check first I guess.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stu

I posted about this on my website yesterday based on a Birmingham Mail article I saw:
https://westmidlandsbususers.co.uk/2021/07/face-coverings-no-longer-mandatory-on-west-mids-buses-from-july-19th-2021/

QuoteNX Bus said customers will be able to choose whether they wear a mask on West Midlands buses from Monday (July 19th 2021).

A spokesperson said: "Following changes to Government rules, from Monday July 19, National Express West Midlands customers can choose whether they wear a face covering on public transport.

"It is important that we respect everyone's right to choose whether to wear a face covering."

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Steveminor

It's a shame that an object used to keep people healthy & stop.the spread of germs has become a political point scoring tool

busboy31

I haven't been on a bus for 18 months now because my parents wouldn't let me... But it is safer to go on a bus with a face mask after you've been vaccinated?

Westy

I wear one on any bus & inside shops etc!

Gareth

Quote from: busboy31 on September 03, 2021, 03:52:10 PM
I haven't been on a bus for 18 months now because my parents wouldn't let me... But it is safer to go on a bus with a face mask after you've been vaccinated?

NX ask passengers to wear masks, but it's not a condition of carriage. You may find as I do on some days that you're the only person wearing one!

bususer28

The thing is masks protect others, not you so if no one else is wearing one then their point is rendered useless. For the record, I still wear a face mask but I always try and social distance where possible still.

Steveminor

@busboy31 its important to note you can STILL catch & transmit covid even if you've been vaccinated it just lowers your risk of catching it & then in turn lowers the risk of becoming seriously ill & then dying.
I look at it this way, we all know Russian roulette is a dangerous game but you have only a 15% chance (maths might be wrong so forgive me) of hitting the chamber with the bullet. But would you want to play that game. We have seen many of our regular passengers die from this horrid illness we need to take it seriously and not go into conspiracy mode.

busboy31

Quote from: Steveminor on September 03, 2021, 07:03:58 PM
@busboy31 its important to note you can STILL catch & transmit covid even if you've been vaccinated it just lowers your risk of catching it & then in turn lowers the risk of becoming seriously ill & then dying.
I look at it this way, we all know Russian roulette is a dangerous game but you have only a 15% chance (maths might be wrong so forgive me) of hitting the chamber with the bullet. But would you want to play that game. We have seen many of our regular passengers die from this horrid illness we need to take it seriously and not go into conspiracy mode.
This is very serious, you know that? I've been on it 9 days before lockdown.. and nobody wasn't wearing a mask... and since then, it has killed a lot of bus drivers as well. Maybe the Muslims and the Asians are refusing to have the vaccine as they think it's a conspiracy.

Steveminor

Its not a race creed colour or religion thing its a fake news conspiracy thing.
The one thing to point out is buses are safe & you are no more likely to catch covid on a bus than in any other setting. Scientists say a good airflow & fresh air mean its less likely to catch the virus & we all know buses leak like sieves.

You've been vaccinated wear your mask & try to social distance when you can. Short of staying in your house for the next few years thats about all you can do.
Remember if you stop living life you've already died.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk