News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Are they ever going to electrify the chase line

Started by Discodave, July 15, 2012, 12:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: bob on July 16, 2012, 06:02:55 PM
Will there be the demand for half hourly trains between Rugeley & Birmingham ( and back) ? I think its a pretty crap service at present and disgusting that they charge a higher fare before 930 when buses dont

Travel daily on most buses in this country and you will find you pay more to travel before 09:30. Have a look at the price difference between a 7 day Regional NXWM travelcard, then have a look at the price of a 7 day off-peak regional travelcard.

Have you thought perhaps it is Arriva over charging off-peak, after all Arriva charge more for an off-peak return on the X31 than it costs on the train.

As someone who uses it 6 days a week (5 days for work and one for leisure) I would like to know which part of the service you think is 'pretty crap'. A fairly reliable 30 minute peak service and 60 minute off peak taking about 40 minutes Cannock-Birmingham could certainly do with some improvement, hence electrification, but it is far from Crap. It would certainly cost me a lot more if I had to use my car to get to work.
My season ticket from Hednesford to Bloxwich North costs the grand total of £126 per year! (yes that is correct, about £2.50 per week, or £0.50 per day based on a five day week!)

Bob

ive never been able to get parked at h'ford or landywood in peak times, at busy times you cant get a seat, including when ive come back on the last 11.20pm from bham train before now, cannock train station ( & hednesford) are both pretty shitty with crap shelters when its chucking it down. Ive found it a  pretty miserable experience when ive used it in the past. on the plus side at least they dont use Sprinters anymore, they really were Shit and the seats stank!

Tony

Quote from: bob on July 16, 2012, 10:18:11 PM
ive never been able to get parked at h'ford or landywood in peak times, at busy times you cant get a seat, including when ive come back on the last 11.20pm from bham train before now, cannock train station ( & hednesford) are both pretty shitty with crap shelters when its chucking it down. Ive found it a  pretty miserable experience when ive used it in the past. on the plus side at least they dont use Sprinters anymore, they really were Shit and the seats stank!

I have never seen both car parks at Hednesford full. The only train that carries a full load is the 16:39 off New Street, just because there are people standing doesn't mean there are not seats, you just have to make people move their bags!.

The busiest trains of the day are now 4 carriages (shame they don't fit on the platforms). The 19:17 off New Street which was always the worst one to catch home as it calls at all stations and used to be a full two car is now a 3 car so at least you can get bored calling everywhere in comfort!

The Shelters have all been renewed in the last year and the CCTV has meant that not one, even Bloxwich has been vandalised, all are still as new and reasonably waterproof and pleasant. Hednesford, Cannock, & Rugeley Trent Valley even have working ticket machines with the other stations to be added soon

Bob

So do u have to buy ticket prior to boarding now then? if by both hednesford car parks you mean the co op that has a 3hr time limit

Discodave

I am with tony I do not know much about the trains but an elcetric train is much smoother and nicer plus they hold more I woul much rather pay a little more for the luxury of a 30 mis service to brum rather than using 2 buses from bloxwich I am afraid as much as the bus is good the train will win hands down,  more options are open to travellers than the bus

Tony

Quote from: bob on July 16, 2012, 10:50:27 PM
So do u have to buy ticket prior to boarding now then? if by both hednesford car parks you mean the co op that has a 3hr time limit

In theory - yes, Hednesford and Cannock are officially in a penalty fare zone, but in reality no, it is not enforced. They tried putting permit to travel machines on all stations and introduced the penalty fare zone, but abandoned the PTT so have never enforced the PF zone. The machines only accept cards, so don't get wrecked as there is no cash in them.

The machines are excellent though and really useful for collecting cheap tickets purchased on the internet.
(Rugeley Trent Valley's machine does take cash)

windy miller

Did the line from walsall to Aldridge get a look in?- I imagine it would involve building new platforms/parking facilities ect. cant see it happening TBH. ::)
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Ash

When i travel between Walsall and New Street in the morning you can tell the difference between travelling on a class 170 and a class 350 in terms of acceleration you can feel the class 350 push you back in your seat when accelerating from a station. Also class 323 always seem to struggle to keep to time between Walsall and New street and dont have the same acceleration power the class 350 have but there a newer train so expected.

windy miller

I think the Hourly service from walsall to B'ham on a SUNDAY may be operated by 2 car 170 diesels on a regular basis instead of the usual 323 electrics. I have always liked these diesel units - the Lazarini seating design is a lot more comfortable-I never did like the 3+2 arrangement in the sprinters, but then they were a  High Density design-cant have both unfortunatly :'(.
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

vinh1000

Quote from: windy miller on July 19, 2012, 01:50:21 AM
I think the Hourly service from walsall to B'ham on a SUNDAY may be operated by 2 car 170 diesels on a regular basis instead of the usual 323 electrics. I have always liked these diesel units - the Lazarini seating design is a lot more comfortable-I never did like the 3+2 arrangement in the sprinters, but then they were a  High Density design-cant have both unfortunatly :'(.
This is often what I see and tends to be faster only ever see the 170's on a Sunday
Also with 323's some have had their interior lights made brighter (white ones not the old yellow) so looks better but I find it rare to get them since don't know which cross city line it is on and at what time
They never seem to check the ticket beyond Bloxwich North (outwide the WM area)
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

Discodave

There is the funding when are we going to see the wires going up does anyone know?

mikestone

The recently published route plans mention May 2016 for Bromsgrove electrics, but give no dates for the Chase line, so presumably after that.

tank90

And Worcestershire County Council are asking for people to suggest what they would like at the new Bromsgrove Railway Station too.
Midland Red West, one of the best Companies to serve Redditch, with some of the best buses.

Dan

Sh4318

Quote from: tank90 on January 17, 2013, 05:51:14 PM
And Worcestershire County Council are asking for people to suggest what they would like at the new Bromsgrove Railway Station too.

I know what I'd like. I often travel to Bromsgrove to see my friend and I study in Worcester. Electronic real time information on both platforms, a PA system announcing next trains, disabled access to both platforms, maybe a waiting room, just a few things that I'm sure they'll have in the new station
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Tony

Quote from: mikestone on January 16, 2013, 02:48:09 PM
The recently published route plans mention May 2016 for Bromsgrove electrics, but give no dates for the Chase line, so presumably after that.

It is in the budget for 2015-2019

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk