News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Lack of investment in ex-Lea Hall routes in East Bham

Started by monkeyjoe, November 02, 2019, 12:40:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trident 4609

Funny how it's only Birmingham routes people mention. There are a number of busy/frequent and/or profitable routes in the Black Country that haven't had investment in many years... I don't see anyone mentioning or moaning about any of those routes. It would probably very much pay to put new vehicles on there, saying that, new buses can only stretch so far... especially when other factors come into play, as mentioned further up that see fleet renewal on routes like the 9 & 50 every few years.

Quote from: Nathan on November 03, 2019, 06:34:41 PM
new buses can only stretch so far... especially when other factors come into play, as mentioned further up that see fleet renewal on routes like the 9 & 50 every few years.
Don't see why there should be such a disproportion in where they invest though.
Not just new vehicles as well, there's no route branding on the 14, 55 and 94 routes either to promote the routes, unlike most other busy routes. Presumably they aren't interested in trying to promote these routes.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Tony

Quote from: 2206 on November 03, 2019, 07:01:03 PM
Not just new vehicles as well, there's no route branding on the 14, 55 and 94 routes either to promote the routes, unlike most other busy routes. Presumably they aren't interested in trying to promote these routes.

All 3 routes have had branding

Stu

Quote from: Nathan on November 03, 2019, 06:34:41 PM
Funny how it's only Birmingham routes people mention. There are a number of busy/frequent and/or profitable routes in the Black Country that haven't had investment in many years... I don't see anyone mentioning or moaning about any of those routes. It would probably very much pay to put new vehicles on there, saying that, new buses can only stretch so far... especially when other factors come into play, as mentioned further up that see fleet renewal on routes like the 9 & 50 every few years.

Thank you for a bit of balance there. I have had comments in the past on my WMBU Facebook page and website from people complaining about seeming 'lack of investment' in new buses for popular services in the Wolverhampton and Black Country areas. The comments have always been along the lines of "it's always Birmingham that gets the new buses" etc.

Quote from: 2206 on November 03, 2019, 07:01:03 PM

I'm not sure about the 94, but both the 14 and 55 have been branded in the past. Perhaps the 14 and 55 are busy enough to not warrant further promotion, or perhaps the previous route brandings did not achieve the intended passenger growth?

Those are of course questions that only NX Bus can answer. You're just falling into this perception created by monkeyjoe that NX Bus 'don't give a toss' about this area of Birmingham. There are several bus services, many people use them and are happy with them, I'm not sure what the big issue is to be honest.

For most passengers, it makes no difference if a 15 year old bus, or a brand new bus turns up, they just want a bus to turn up that will take them where they want to go.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

CL

@Stu - Though not as recent in comparison to the 14/55, the 94 did have branding when the Tridents were new to Lea Hall

see: http://wmbusphotos.com/NXWM/4225-4474/4471.html

Even before then, I believe a few O405Ns were branded brown for the route! ;)
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Quote from: Tony on November 03, 2019, 07:33:35 PM
All 3 routes have had branding
Years ago though.
The 55 branding was 5 years ago and all the 55 route branding ever referred to was the Claribels service: "we run evenings, sundays and early mornings, others don't". Rather than any specific information about the route.
Quote from: Stu on November 03, 2019, 07:35:30 PM
Perhaps the 14 and 55 are busy enough to not warrant further promotion, or
Doubt it otherwise surely the 11, X1, 33 and 23 wouldn't warrant further promotion either, as they are already busy services.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Jack

Quote from: 2206 on November 03, 2019, 07:44:53 PM
Years ago though.
The 55 branding was 5 years ago and all the 55 route branding ever referred to was the Claribels service: "we run evenings, sundays and early mornings, others don't Rather than any specific information about the route.Doubt it otherwise surely the 11, X1 and 33 wouldn't warrant further promotion either, as they are already busy services.
You can't really upgrade the 33 without upgrading the 51... which won't happen for a while  with the 51 buses being rebranded not long ago, well they haven't completed branding all of them, instead they plaster them in Mega Rear AD's. And if they ever get an improved frequency, not sure how long it will take for them to do it.

It annoys me when people talk about 'Black Country having no investment' yet they have had brand new E200's delivered in 2012 and 2014, Hybrids in 2013, Platinums in 2015/2016/2019 etc. Granted the majority of Black Country routes don't get as much investment but purely I think that is because of the areas not having a LEZ that keeps increasing every couple of years like Birmingham.
The 14, 55, 60, 94, 97 are way over due an upgrade in my opinion.

winston

Quote from: 2206 on November 03, 2019, 07:44:53 PM
Years ago though.
The 55 branding was 5 years ago and all the 55 route branding ever referred to was the Claribels service: "we run evenings, sundays and early mornings, others don't". Rather than any specific information about the route.

And where's the Claribel's 55 service now, other than a few peak journeys, it's gone., same with the 71e. Their 94 is heading the same way, the recent frequency cuts will be the start of a downward spiral....

Tony

One of the things I have to do when I do cascades is to average out the fleet age so all garages are very similar.  No area is ignored

The 49 buses allocated to Bordesley are a special case as they are not maintained by NXWM, but under contract by MAN and on specific fleetnumbers, so there is no movement there (1876 & 1877 are actually allocated to BC.

The assetts (Therefore the investment) in the other 9 garages are all very similar. No area is ignored

Allocations to routes is also affected at the moment by emission rules. Currently just over 50% of the fleet is certified Euro 6 (The Green Urban traps fitted to Tridents and B7TLs are not certified Euro 6 as Green Urban lost their DfT certification) And as different restrictions and aims apply in different areas vehicles have to match.

NXWM does aim to be 100% fully certified Euro 6 in about 18 months time so all the areas with old buses will be getting more investment

Westy

Birmingham has to have the investment, because of the emission zone.

I understand that.

Are there more emission zones planned?

Presumbly if Wolves has a emission zone coming up for example, suitable buses will be moved into there & unsuitable buses will be moved out.

Do the bus operators have an input into dates when zones are active?

Tony

Quote from: Westy on November 03, 2019, 08:14:46 PM
Birmingham has to have the investment, because of the emission zone.

I understand that.

Are there more emission zones planned?

Presumbly if Wolves has a emission zone coming up for example, suitable buses will be moved into there & unsuitable buses will be moved out.

Do the bus operators have an input into dates when zones are active?

The whole West Midlands is affected by emission zones, and as I said above NXWM aims to be 100% Euro 6, so there's no problem with allocation rolling forward. I don't know of any other large company aiming to be euro 6 as early as NX

Quote from: Tony on November 03, 2019, 08:06:51 PM
One of the things I have to do when I do cascades is to average out the fleet age so all garages are very similar.  No area is ignored
Though since Lea Hall closed, the only NX garage in the East of Birmingham is Bordesley. And most East Birmingham routes are now at various garages:
PB - 96, 71, 94 and 28.
AG - 72, X12 and 11A/C
BY - 55 and 17.
BC - 97 and 14.
Probably explains the "lack of investment in the East Birmingham area".

And for example at BC all the newer vehicles are allocated to South and West Birmingham routes, while the East Birmingham routes have the Tridents.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Solo1

I wasn't aware of the emissions affected the whole of the west midlands I know Brum , Solihull & Wolverhampton have emissions zone when will walsall+ west Bromwich emissions zones take place

Tony

Quote from: 2206 on November 03, 2019, 08:25:55 PM
Though since Lea Hall closed, the only NX garage in the East of Birmingham is Bordesley. And most East Birmingham routes are now at various garages:
PB - 96, 71, 94 and 28.
AG - 72, X12 and 11A/C
BY - 55 and 17.
BC - 97 and 14.
Probably explains the "lack of investment in the East Birmingham area".

And for example at BC all the newer vehicles are allocated to South and West Birmingham routes, while the East Birmingham routes have the Tridents.

You have been taken in by the 'Monkeyjoe' crap haven't you

One of the routes you list is platinum
One of the routes you list has had brand new buses (72) which unfortunately did such a good job in increasing passengers that they had to be replaced by old double decks on an increased frequency all refurbished and traps so not 'lacking investments'
The 11 has just had 38 nearly new buses moved to it
The 55 and 17 buses are just having around £30,000 spent on each bus to modify them to Euro 6 (1795 is at Graysons) and fully refurbish the interiors and exterior...is that not investment?

the trainbasher

Really, in this climate emergency, bus operators who operate mainly in urban areas should really, in my opinion, be aiming to consider starting to go Diesel free. Be it through CNG, electric or other fuel methods.

Even if it means the government/combined authorities slapping a 10-20p tax per passenger journey in order to fund infrastructure (such as shared charging facilities, hydrogen/CNG facilities or similar) and incentives to smaller operators to put this in place (either via new buses or getting existing fleets converted).

Local Authorities could then consider banning Diesel and Petrol powered vehicles from their town centres with increased funding from Westminster and funding from Brussels being used to fund things such as electric rail conversions/openings and park and ride schemes.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk