News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Queries About the Past

Started by leicesterbusadventurer, July 23, 2019, 07:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leicesterbusadventurer

Any queries about Arriva Midlands history (like vehicles, depots, routes), just pop them in here and I'm sure someone can answer them. I can only do Leicester mostly but I do know some stuff about Derby too.

BusMan Greg

I never understood why arriva burton split the original 112 route between Brum & Burton into 2 parts at Lichfield. The part between Burton and Lichfield was renumbered the 12 and the part between Lichfield and Brum retained the original route number. Through fares were available for passengers travelling from Burton to Sutton or Brum. What was the point in this? It was exactly the same route just a number change at Lichfield. Sounds like a waste of a re registration to me

leicesterbusadventurer

Quote from: BusMan Greg on July 23, 2019, 08:34:03 PM
I never understood why arriva burton split the original 112 route between Brum & Burton into 2 parts at Lichfield. The part between Burton and Lichfield was renumbered the 12 and the part between Lichfield and Brum retained the original route number. Through fares were available for passengers travelling from Burton to Sutton or Brum. What was the point in this? It was exactly the same route just a number change at Lichfield. Sounds like a waste of a re registration to me
Not my neck of the woods but probably down to reliability issues, and splitting the sections into separate routes decreased that. There was major roadworks in the north end of Leicester during the summer of 2003 and this was causing problems for the 27 and 28, which went into Leicester from Ratby and Groby and then onwards to Knighton. They were cut back to Leicester from their respective village and the Knighton section was renumbered 44. It must have made a huge difference because over the remainder of the year, all their other cross-city routes were split.

Cheese

Wasn't it due to the rules around distance? Splitting it allowed them to operate it on domestic rules rather than EU rules, as the overall route would have been over 50km but not if split into two sections?

BusMan Greg

I also never understood why arriva Wednesfield put a 78 service on which was basically the 878 run by select bar Acton trussell. This ran at ridiculous times in the evening and all day on Sundays. I'm sorry but who would put buses round tight lanes at that time of night. It's not like it would carry anything anyway.

Pat

Quote from: BusMan Greg on July 23, 2019, 09:10:01 PM
I also never understood why arriva Wednesfield put a 78 service on which was basically the 878 run by select bar Acton trussell. This ran at ridiculous times in the evening and all day on Sundays. I'm sorry but who would put buses round tight lanes at that time of night. It's not like it would carry anything anyway.
Could it have been a subsidised/contract service? In which case Arriva would have to run the service regardless if it were picking up passengers or not.

BusMan Greg

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on July 23, 2019, 09:22:57 PM
Could it have been a subsidised/contract service? In which case Arriva would have to run the service regardless if it were picking up passengers or not.
To me it just sounds like another one of arriva's grand plans to piss off an independant

Pat

Quote from: BusMan Greg on July 23, 2019, 09:25:56 PM
To me it just sounds like another one of arriva's grand plans to piss off an independant
So if they were trying to take Select's passengers, why would they "run at ridiculous times in the evening" when Select were probably not running?  How would that annoy the independant?

BusMan Greg

Arriva may not want to directly compete with the independant they might just want to poke the wasp nest. However I also agree with your argument @NXWMFAN1105

nathanielrwi

I'd welcome Arriva competing against Select on some of their services!

Cheese

Quote from: BusMan Greg on July 23, 2019, 09:41:15 PM
Arriva may not want to directly compete with the independant they might just want to poke the wasp nest. However I also agree with your argument @NXWMFAN1105

Sounds like the old route 3 which was wholly contracted so not competing with anything.

Dennis

Have you ever managed a bus company?

l.murphy123

Quote from: nathanielrwi on July 24, 2019, 12:33:15 AM
I'd welcome Arriva competing against Select on some of their services!

I'd welcome Select competing with Arriva, I like to see small companies grow as Midland Classic did at one time.
Chairman of GWCH Community group and frequent user of...
   NXWM | 31, 34, 59, 60, 79, 529, X51, X529
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71
   West Midland Metro | The Crescent

Pat

Quote from: l.murphy123 on August 01, 2019, 01:30:13 PM
I'd welcome Select competing with Arriva, I like to see small companies grow as Midland Classic did at one time.
And Banga! They saw Arriva off on the 8 and 530.

BusMan Greg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk