News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Dudley Bus Station

Started by 4679, September 29, 2018, 08:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BK63 YWP

Quote from: the trainbasher on February 15, 2021, 04:06:49 PM
Tbh Dudley doesn't need a great glass monstrosity like what it's getting, the existing bus station is functional as it is.

Functional yes, dated yes... Needed in my opinion
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

markcf83

Quote from: the trainbasher on February 15, 2021, 04:06:49 PM
Tbh Dudley doesn't need a great glass monstrosity like what it's getting, the existing bus station is functional as it is.

I'd agree with you. Refurbish it to modern standards yes but not a massive, disruptive rebuild.....
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Tony

Quote from: markcf83 on February 15, 2021, 05:55:04 PM
I'd agree with you. Refurbish it to modern standards yes but not a massive, disruptive rebuild.....

It's the layout that is outdated though, walking across bus lanes without any weather protection is from the 1970s

ellspurs

Quote from: Gareth on February 15, 2021, 05:23:32 PM
I'm all for having new bus stations, but I hate drive in, reverse out.

Is there anywhere else in the West Midlands that is drive in, reverse out?

I remember it being a novelty when the buses used to reverse in the Staffordshire villages when on their jaunts to Bewdley or Bridgnorth.

Pat

Quote from: ellspurs on February 15, 2021, 06:15:46 PM
Is there anywhere else in the West Midlands that is drive in, reverse out?

I remember it being a novelty when the buses used to reverse in the Staffordshire villages when on their jaunts to Bewdley or Bridgnorth.
Digbeth, but that doesn't really count ;)

Tony

Quote from: Pat on February 15, 2021, 06:21:19 PM
Digbeth, but that doesn't really count ;)

Drive in reverse out works well in other parts of the country, Glasgow is an extremely busy example but I have never seen any problems there

Solo1

Wouldnt it be better if looked like wolverhampton bus
Station

Tony

Quote from: Solo1 on February 15, 2021, 06:49:29 PM
Wouldnt it be better if looked like wolverhampton bus
Station

How do you propose fitting it into a different shape?

Stu

Quote from: Tony on February 15, 2021, 06:25:28 PM
Drive in reverse out works well in other parts of the country, Glasgow is an extremely busy example but I have never seen any problems there

I must admit the only time I've ever encountered a drive-in-reverse-out layout was many years ago on a weekend away with friends to Torquay. We took the bus to Brixham, which called in at Paignton bus station on the way. Seemed more of a novelty than anything else though. Maybe the reason this layout is less favoured up here is that you'd need staff/crew in the station to assist with reversing buses out of their bays?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

fleetline6477

Quote from: Tony on February 15, 2021, 06:25:28 PM

Bristol. Bath, Gloucester too. Let's hope they don't take away all the layover bays.

ellspurs

Quote from: Stu on February 15, 2021, 06:59:32 PM
I must admit the only time I've ever encountered a drive-in-reverse-out layout was many years ago on a weekend away with friends to Torquay. We took the bus to Brixham, which called in at Paignton bus station on the way. Seemed more of a novelty than anything else though. Maybe the reason this layout is less favoured up here is that you'd need staff/crew in the station to assist with reversing buses out of their bays?

Telford, Leicester St. Margarets and Manchester Airport have drive in/reverse out, and to be fair I've never seen anyone there to reverse the vehicles out. I just thought it was a thing that wasn't done in the West Midlands for whatever reason.

Pat

Quote from: Stu on February 15, 2021, 06:59:32 PM
No, as bus stations are controlled areas, meaning no pedestrian access so buses are permitted to reverse without a banksman.

Justin Tyme

Quite a few places have drive in reverse out bus stations.  Derby Bus Station is busy and seems to work well.

I know of two bus stations where banksmen have to be used.  Banbury is because stands are on two sides of a square site - and a shopping centre delivery bay is on a third side!

St Ives in Cornwall - possibly the most scenic location for a bus station in the country - is because buses reverse in off the street.

Tony

Quote from: Justin Tyme on February 15, 2021, 07:31:38 PM
Quite a few places have drive in reverse out bus stations.  Derby Bus Station is busy and seems to work well.

I know of two bus stations where banksmen have to be used.  Banbury is because stands are on two sides of a square site - and a shopping centre delivery bay is on a third side!

St Ives in Cornwall - possibly the most scenic location for a bus station in the country - is because buses reverse in off the street.

Glasgow has a team of banksmen as it is so busy

Pat

Quote from: Tony on February 15, 2021, 07:33:54 PM
Glasgow has a team of banksmen as it is so busy
Aberdeen is also a busy one.  They have a banksman also.  It does get quite busy there though, and traffic does sometimes back up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk