News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Next Stop Announcments

Started by Jack D, February 24, 2018, 09:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterPlan

Generally the announcements on the screen are timed very well to change after the last stop, the voice needs to link up with that. Also it's Harborne Academy not Harborne Hill School.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

CL

Quote from: MasterPlan on March 13, 2018, 10:58:01 AM
Generally the announcements on the screen are timed very well to change after the last stop, the voice needs to link up with that. Also it's Harborne Academy not Harborne Hill School.
To be fair, Harborne Academy was given Academy status mere months after the introducion of the Hybrids at Birmingham Central.

Four Dwellings was given Academy status is 2013; does anybody know if the new voice says "academy", or "high school"? At worst, it'll just say "Four Dwellings", at best: "Four Dwellings Academy"
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

MasterPlan

Quote from: CL on March 13, 2018, 05:09:25 PM
To be fair, Harborne Academy was given Academy status mere months after the introducion of the Hybrids at Birmingham Central.

That may be but they've created new announcements for other stops so why not that one.

Jack

It's been 3 years since the X51 went Platinum, and heading inbound they're still saying "the next stop is Booths Farm Road" when it has never stopped there.

MasterPlan

How come the new announcements on the ☓20s don't say change here for the QE Hospital when at University Station?

l.murphy123

Better than the Arriva Sapphire Walsall-Cannock announcements which are often spelt wrong or don't match the names given on their app. For example, it says "Elmore Road" instead of "Elmore Row" and "Bradstone Avenue" instead of "Broadstone Avenue". There's even "Low Streeet" - how did that get past quality checks?!

Who prefers "the next stop is..." rather than simply the name of the stop as the bus approaches? The 529 does the latter and often says it way too late!
Chairman of GWCH Community group and frequent user of...
   NXWM | 31, 34, 59, 60, 79, 529, X51, X529
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71
   West Midland Metro | The Crescent

Westy

Quote from: l.murphy123 on September 08, 2018, 04:12:43 PM
Better than the Arriva Sapphire Walsall-Cannock announcements which are often spelt wrong or don't match the names given on their app. For example, it says "Elmore Road" instead of "Elmore Row" and "Bradstone Avenue" instead of "Broadstone Avenue". There's even "Low Streeet" - how did that get past quality checks?!

Who prefers "the next stop is..." rather than simply the name of the stop as the bus approaches? The 529 does the latter and often says it way too late!

On the subject of the Sapphire announcements, I've always assumed as Arriva are from 'outside the area', they haven't done the local research properly!

l.murphy123

They used to operate a lot in and around Walsall and Wolverhampton until they sold their depot in Wednesfield after losing most Centro contracts. Nevertheless there shouldn't be silly mistakes, especially "Streeet"! Somebody has signed those off as being ready to roll out and they should be embarrassed.
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71

Westy

Quote from: l.murphy123 on September 08, 2018, 08:41:54 PM
They used to operate a lot in and around Walsall and Wolverhampton until they sold their depot in Wednesfield after losing most Centro contracts. Nevertheless there shouldn't be silly mistakes, especially "Streeet"! Somebody has signed those off as being ready to roll out and they should be embarrassed.

Surely that's a different operation in a way, as it was acquired, rather than them always operating in that area?

Arriva (& Midland Red before it?) were always seen by me, as 'That lot from Cannock', as I was too young to remember MR's previous WM operation pre 1973 & only saw MR on the occasional trips into Cannock & Norton Canes to visit family!

But that's slightly off topic, because as you say there shouldn't be silly mistakes.

I do hope those announcement's are on @Simon@Arriva ' s list to do?

I'd gladly give him the list of what they should say round here, if he wants!

l.murphy123

Quote from: Westy on September 08, 2018, 09:12:56 PM
I do hope those announcement's are on @Simon@Arriva ' s list to do?

I'd gladly give him the list of what they should say round here, if he wants!

He's aware... back to NXWM though what are the announcements on the new 7 and 8 Wolvo services like?
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71

I love Walsall buses

Quote from: l.murphy123 on September 09, 2018, 12:42:26 AM
He's aware... back to NXWM though what are the announcements on the new 7 and 8 Wolvo services like?
You mean X7 and X8 don't you

MasterPlan

Speaking of silly mistakes seems like they've fixed the one on Quinton Road for Cadnam Close which said "Grove Road" on the 29 for some reason.

Dom

Quote from: MasterPlan on September 09, 2018, 01:15:35 PM
Speaking of silly mistakes seems like they've fixed the one on Quinton Road for Cadnam Close which said "Grove Road" on the 29 for some reason.

Sorry who was?

Tony

Quote from: MasterPlan on September 09, 2018, 01:15:35 PM

The whole Harborne routes were re-recorded for the service changes as you already know, so of course it has been fixed

MasterPlan

Quote from: Tony on September 09, 2018, 02:37:10 PM
The whole Harborne routes were re-recorded for the service changes as you already know, so of course it has been fixed

Not really a case of "of course" though is it? It's not like the road name has changed in that time, so obviously it was gotten wrong the first time and so there was no guarantee it would be right this time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk