News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

'Dump' areas and the 11

Started by 2206, December 29, 2017, 06:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Bromwich is the Soho Rota 74, 80/A, 48/A, 49, 89, 47

Quote from: MW on January 01, 2018, 04:18:24 PM
The section between Stechford & Erdington on the 11A, without a doubt. Closely followed by Erdington to Bearwood.

City Road is a particular sh*thole come to think of it. Bloody George Dixon School. I'm sure 2900 & the PE drivers on here can relate with the 80/127/8/9.

That's the worst school on the route. Nobody likes the late board that begins at George Dixon on the 11C at about 15:15.
yes bloody George Dixon school nasty as f**k

Quote from: Trident 4194 on January 02, 2018, 02:42:41 PM
Slightly off topic: what routes from each garage are usually for the newbies? From my understanding the longer you work there the more choice of routes you get?
W/B starter rota scrapped a while a go, newbies get Dudley rd plus 120A/127/8 welcome to the party ladies and gentlemen ,fair few newbies started before Christmas

Jack

Quote from: 2900 on January 04, 2018, 09:41:20 AM
W/B starter rota scrapped a while a go, newbies get Dudley rd plus 120A/127/8 welcome to the party ladies and gentlemen
Is the 120A a bad route? Considering its goes through some 'not nice' areas it seems to be quiet. Only ridden it several times so don't know too much about it.

John

Quote from: CL on January 02, 2018, 05:29:32 PM
may be wrong, but iirc, PB's starter routes were 7, 16, 65 & 101

Newbies go on any rota where there is a space. We have never had starter routes

Trident 4194

Quote from: John on January 04, 2018, 02:35:52 PM

Another question do Nx have straight 12 hour Rotas? I know diamond do. Going to be a break in the middle I know

j789

Quote from: Trident 4194 on January 04, 2018, 08:47:20 PM
Another question do Nx have straight 12 hour Rotas? I know diamond do. Going to be a break in the middle I know

Any company with a decent union presence and support (Unite etc) would not have a 12 hour straight rota!

CL

Ah, so I see. :P
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

MasterPlan

Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

West brom did use to  have a starter rota a while back now probably scrapped before you started.

Quote from: j789 on January 04, 2018, 09:43:02 PM
Any company with a decent union presence and support (Unite etc) would not have a 12 hour straight rota!
unite toothless waste of money over all, Union chairman of each garage receives a wage from the company , conflict of interest one could say

Trident 4194

A quick question to drivers:

How many of you have good geographical knowledge of your routes. Only the other day I asked a driver on the PN 9 which bus stop is Best for Portland road, and she said I have no idea I only drive the route. Back in the day I believe drivers were much more aware of Their routes

Quote from: Trident 4194 on January 06, 2018, 08:50:14 PM

How many of you have good geographical knowledge of your routes. Only the other day I asked a driver on the PN 9 which bus stop is Best for Portland road, and she said I have no idea I only drive the route. Back in the day I believe drivers were much more aware of Their routes
Best stop on the 9 for Portland Road - Hagley Road, Portland Road - Outside the Chef & Brewer and the Strathallan Hotel.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

D10

Back in the day I believe drivers were much more aware of Their routes

Possibly because there were more garages in those days closer to a drivers home address? And garages used to run fewer routes, meaning drivers used to get more knowledge of a route?

j789

It's impossible to know every stop name/area on every route. For one thing a lot of passengers (and drivers for that matter) would refer to the same stop by different names, perhaps using a road nearby/ a shop/ a pub etc so that adds confusion for a start. Also, how is it possible to know every side road on each route which is often what you get asked which often aret bus stops or fare stages.

I know NXWM tend to stick to a few routes all the time o perhaps it is slightly more likely their drivers would know the roads but at Worcester I can drive most of our routes, except Hereford contract ones, which cover a massive area from Birmingham to Tewesbury and Evesham. The 144 route is 28 miles long and must have 70+ stops, it shouldn't be realistic to expect a driver who may live in a completely different area themselves to be familiar with every road on a route.

The PN drivers on the 9 may not live anywhere near the route so may not be aware of every side road or landmark so don't be too unrealitic in your expectations, I think we all try to do our best driving. Maybe you should try it out and see how 'easy' it is to remember everything.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk