News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

The northern powerhouse is go.

Started by JoNi, December 09, 2015, 03:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Presumably one government department does know what another is doing!

Why on earth would one dept. give Arriva the franchise, then another say it might not be in the passenger's interests?

Why not discuss it first.

see
http://www.passengertransport.co.uk/2016/05/full-competition-inquiry-into-arriva-northern-franchise/

mikestone

Surely the question ought to be why haven't Arriva promised to integrate their bus and rail services?

JoNi

"Integrated services" - forcing travellers to change when there isn't a need to, usually to justify funding for a scheme by boosting potential passenger numbers!

T840MAK

One point I will keep making when this comes up, is why Arriva are being investigated but why it's fine for Stagecoach (who own large shares in all three of the major South - North mainlines..!) to go about in a similar way...
Twitter @TomCousins60054
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/modeltrains33/

woody38

because arriva run old trains, have you ever seen or been on there trains I have, same with the buses, because DB are trying to save money

Tony

Quote from: woody38 on June 03, 2016, 08:34:36 AM
because arriva run old trains, have you ever seen or been on there trains I have, same with the buses, because DB are trying to save money

Arriva run the trains the department of Transport let them run!
The new franchise involves the leasing of large numbers of brand new trains.
Their buses as a Nationwide fleet have an average age no worse than other large operators

woody38

Oh ok Tony you know more than me, they still run more old bangers though then anybody else, that is fact.

Tony

Quote from: woody38 on June 03, 2016, 08:51:58 AM
Oh ok Tony you know more than me, they still run more old bangers though then anybody else, that is fact.

They don't though!
Stagecoach and First both have more step entrance buses in service than Arriva.

Go to the North East, Merseyside or Yorkshire, ironically three areas in the Northern Rail franchise and you will see fleets in comparison with with Brighton or Trent for average age, two operators that always receive praise for their fleets.

The Real 4778

because arriva run old trains, have you ever seen or been on there trains I have, .... because DB are trying to save money

How do you explain the Chiltern and Cross Country fleets, Grand Central 180s and the 175s in Wales?

Don't you start.

markcf83

The Class 175 units that Arriva Trains Wales run were inherited from First.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

tank90

Yes DB Arriva Chiltern run the oldest DMU on the network but they also run the newest class of diesel as well. The Bubble cars have had some major changes to allow them to run on the Mainline but that is only because they couldn't get a 153 to do the job.

As for the pacers in Wales and Northern they have inherited those of off BR First DfT and other operators. The Pacer was a stop gap but like most things in the world it became permanent and costly to replace. The same with the Mk 3 Stock and HSTs, short term fixes for a big problem.

In all fairness DB are getting changes made to get rid of the stock but it will take time.

But Tony is right DfT call the shots.
Midland Red West, one of the best Companies to serve Redditch, with some of the best buses.

Dan

The Real 4778

Quote from: markcf83 on June 06, 2016, 12:47:06 PM
The Class 175 units that Arriva Trains Wales run were inherited from First.

I didn't really mean literally 'explain,' I was pointing out that Arriva runs its fair share of younger trains!
Don't you start.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk