News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Travel Express / Lets Go

Started by Badger, June 07, 2012, 04:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liverpool Street

A true, old fashioned, coach painter charged a mate of mine 3 and a half grand.

Hand painted. No brush strokes.

Worth every penny.

Remember Matt its an incredibly labourous job.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

winston

Quote from: nitromatt1 on September 29, 2013, 09:21:41 PM
Why does repainting a bus cost over £1000? Obviously a few tins of paint can't cost that much so where do the rest of the costs come from? I assume labour costs and transporting the bus to the paint shop?

You're forgetting all the prep work involved, which could included filling, re-paneling & rubbing down etc. Then the bus will also need masking before going in to the spray booth. So much of the costs will be labour rather than consumables

Tony

Why does repainting a bus cost over £1000? Obviously a few tins of paint can't cost that much so where do the rest of the costs come from? I assume labour costs and transporting the bus to the paint shop?

Are you being serious Matt?
You don't just get a few tins of paint and brush them on if you want a quality finish
This is what happens if you do!
http://wmbusphotos.com/GRS/l808_nnw.html
and that was one of the better ones. You have to clean and rub down the old paint to make sure the new paint actually sticks on.
Dents and knocks will usually have filler put in. The you apply the base colour, then there is any livery variations/different colours to apply which will involve time consuming masking.

Ring for a quote to have a car repainted and it won't be cheap, let alone a bus

winston

Quote from: Tony on September 29, 2013, 09:27:55 PM

You don't just get a few tins of paint and brush them on if you want a quality finish
and that was one of the better ones. You have to clean and rub down the old paint to make sure the new paint actually sticks on.
Dents and knocks will usually have filler put in. The you apply the base colour, then there is any livery variations/different colours to apply which will involve time consuming masking.

Tony,

Don't NXWM for example also apply a coat of clear lacquer or varnish over the top of their paintwork?

Tony

Quote from: Winston on September 29, 2013, 09:30:37 PM

Tony,

Don't NXWM for example also apply a coat of clear lacquer or varnish over the top of their paintwork?

Walsall use two-pack paint now which doesn't need the varnish. WMPTE used to

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Tony on September 29, 2013, 09:43:06 PM

Tony,

Probably silly question Tony, but what is two pack paint?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

winston

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on September 29, 2013, 09:45:34 PM

Tony,

It's basically a paint comprising of two parts i.e. paint & a hardener. Two-pack paint is much harder wearing once cured which is why the varnish has been dropped

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Winston on September 29, 2013, 09:57:22 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on September 29, 2013, 09:45:34 PM

Tony,

It's basically a paint comprising of two parts i.e. paint & a hardener. Two-pack paint is much harder wearing once cured which is why the varnish can be dropped

Thanks Winston.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Tony

The youngest of recent time was an Enviro 200 South Wales Transport (MX13 BCY) that was stolen and burnt out when less than a week old.

South Wales Enviro 200s don't seem to have much luck as another YX12 DHV which was Newport 317 which was scrapped at about 6 months old

Lukeee

Think you posted that in the wrong section  ;)

mranon

there are places that will do a "cheap job", ive known companies spend upto 5k on a paint job. however if te picked a single colour, i.e orange as an example, then just applied the name they could maybe do a vinyl stripe etc which would be cheaper. however it would do wonders for their image. just look at others, such as select. they look smart

winston

The 529 didn't last long.....

PD0001936/13 - TRAVEL EXPRESS LTD, 30 COTON ROAD, PENN, WOLVERHAMPTON, WV4 5AT

Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Wolverhampton Bus Station and Willenhall given service number 529 effective from 20-Nov-2013.

PD0001936/14 - TRAVEL EXPRESS LTD, 30 COTON ROAD, PENN, WOLVERHAMPTON, WV4 5AT

Registration Accepted
    Starting Point: Wolverhampton, Princes Street
    Finish Point: Wolverhampton, Fordhouses
    Via:
    Service Number: 3
    Service Type: Normal Stopping
    Effective Date: 20-NOV-2013
    Other Details: Daily.

andrew1991

NXWM Spectra

Can someone check my vehicle requirement calculations please? The 32 and 33 sound wrong.

1 - 3 buses
11 - 4 buses
32 - 4 buses
33 - 4 buses
529 - 2 buses

mranon

think they use 2 buses on 32 and 2 on 33. seen today another dart v plate slf on 11's. are these low floors replacing anything or additions. t480jtd is hardly out these days. the dual door ex london dart is on the 11s. id have thought they would have converted it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk