News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Travel Express / Lets Go

Started by Badger, June 07, 2012, 04:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

l.murphy123

Quote from: Nathan on May 11, 2020, 04:52:07 PM
It's a positioning trip after finishing on the 303 at County Bridge by the looks of it. The bus previously ran private to take up service on one of the Wolverhampton routes (either the 2 or 11, can't remember which exactly). PN07 KRZ is the usual bus on the 303. Vice versa for the morning trip, to get it from depot to County Bridge.

How are they allowed to do that? So any operator can run someone else's route if their bus is going that way already?
Chairman of GWCH Community group and frequent user of...
   NXWM | 31, 34, 59, 60, 79, 529, X51, X529
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71
   West Midland Metro | The Crescent

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: l.murphy123 on June 21, 2020, 10:46:13 PM
How are they allowed to do that? So any operator can run someone else's route if their bus is going that way already?
Unless the route is subject to an enhanced partnership or quality enhanced partnership under the current Buses Act such as West Midlands Bus 31 32 41 42 43 under The Transport Act 1986 anyone can register a bus service from A to B.

the trainbasher

Its called bus deregulation. It was allowed due to the 1986 Act.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

MW

Quote from: WyreForestShuttle on June 21, 2020, 11:11:28 PM
Unless the route is subject to an enhanced partnership or quality enhanced partnership under the current Buses Act such as West Midlands Bus 31 32 40 42 43 under The Transport Act 1986 anyone can register a bus service from A to B.

Is that correct? If another operator wanted to compete on any of those routes, they couldn't?

the trainbasher

Quote from: MW on June 22, 2020, 02:56:33 AM
Is that correct? If another operator wanted to compete on any of those routes, they couldn't?

I would be very surprised if it is true

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: the trainbasher on June 22, 2020, 02:57:59 AM
I would be very surprised if it is true
The legislation in The Buses Act 2017 allows for the regulatory authority in this instance the WMCA to create a Statutory Enhanced Partnership on an individual route. The routes I mentioned are part of West Midlands Bus Alliance.  In order for an operator to compete on a West Midlands Bus service the operator would have to apply to join the EP. TfWM have the right within the legal terms of the EP to decide what operator runs where within the scope in agreement. In order to run a competitive journey on an EP the operator would have to coordinate its journey with the other operators on the route and accept the other operators tickets.  The legislation of The Buses Act 2017 supersedes The Transport Act 1986 with regard to services operated under an EP or QEP. Whist participation in these is voluntary the legislation allows it to be made compulsory if required. However an operator would still have to register the service with the OfTC & TfWM would lodge an objection to service registration on the terms the service is the subject of an EP under The Buses Act 2017. Within the next term of elected Metro Mayors it is proposed to move responsibility for service registration in this area from OfTC to the relevant Metropolitan Combined Authority.

l.murphy123

Unless the route is subject to an enhanced partnership or quality enhanced partnership under the current Buses Act such as West Midlands Bus 31 32 41 42 43 under The Transport Act 1986 anyone can register a bus service from A to B.

That's interesting thank you!
Chairman of GWCH Community group and frequent user of...
   NXWM | 31, 34, 59, 60, 79, 529, X51, X529
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71
   West Midland Metro | The Crescent

Pat

Take TEX as an example.  They directly compete with NX and have done for years.

So if I wanted to run a clapped out dart on the 31 without West Midlands bus branding etc, I couldn't?

Trident 4194

Quote from: Pat on June 22, 2020, 12:31:59 PM
So if I wanted to run a clapped out dart on the 31 without West Midlands bus branding etc, I couldn't?

Just change the route number and you could? Change it to 301 hahaha

Tony

Quote from: Pat on June 22, 2020, 12:31:59 PM

Correct, you couldn't

Pat

Quote from: Tony on June 22, 2020, 12:38:57 PM
Correct, you couldn't
Ok, but could I run it under a different number, as mentioned above?

Tony

Quote from: Pat on June 22, 2020, 12:44:15 PM
Ok, but could I run it under a different number, as mentioned above?

No, not without approval from TfWM. It is the route that is protected not the service number

the trainbasher

Quote from: Tony on June 22, 2020, 12:47:30 PM
No, not without approval from TfWM. It is the route that is protected not the service number

But if there was a deviation (for example running along 32 route to Lower Farm, then continuing on to Turnberry Road or running a 42A via Carters Green instead of direct), then would TfWM approval be needed (outside the usual VOSA registration system)?

Tony

Quote from: the trainbasher on June 22, 2020, 03:35:19 PM
But if there was a deviation (for example running along 32 route to Lower Farm, then continuing on to Turnberry Road or running a 42A via Carters Green instead of direct), then would TfWM approval be needed (outside the usual VOSA registration system)?

Yes. The corridor is a QP

Pat

Quote from: Tony on June 22, 2020, 03:39:19 PM
Yes. The corridor is a QP
So you basically have to have TfWM's permission to run a service up Bloxwich Road?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk