News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Increase in railway travel and the struggling railway infrastructure

Started by Chris2301, April 01, 2015, 09:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris2301

There was an article on Midlands Today about london midland struggling to keep up with demand in use of the railways. Do you think the government should step in and help provide additional rolling stock for the private train companies or is it time (duno how they will do it) to renationalise the railway industry

the trainbasher

Well if you look at it the railway is nationalised in a way by the way of franchising along with Network Rail

Personally I think the Government should privatise it fully and allow the companies to put as much stock as they feel they need on it.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Bob

Even your beloved Tory Party haven't gone that far....surprising though, theyve flogged almost everything off that we owned...

Chris2301

Hopefully they can sort out the franchising first lol, transpennine/northern are up next i wonder whats guna happen to them. Rumours of one huge franchise instead of two might happen. Tho it would be nice to see nx group go for a rail franchise but i doubt it after the east coast problems

PM

Quote from: Chris2301 on April 01, 2015, 10:05:33 PM
Hopefully they can sort out the franchising first lol, transpennine/northern are up next i wonder whats guna happen to them. Rumours of one huge franchise instead of two might happen. Tho it would be nice to see nx group go for a rail franchise but i doubt it after the east coast problems

NX do have rail franchises, and not just in the UK!

Bob

Labour are planning a public sector operator so some sections of the railways could be run publicly :-))))

the trainbasher

@Bob I certainly would be happy to see a situation with the railways that is similar to buses

@Chris2301 they do have the Essex Thameside one.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Bob

@ trainbasher I bet you would.  Cant see it happening though.  Ed miliband did have a point when he said how crazy itwas that the only ppublic sector that wasn't allowed to bid for our railway franchises was our own!  Hopefully thatll change.  Cant really see the tories winning

Chris2301

I could see nx taking over london midland and naming it west midlands train and painting the local lines as the new livery on the 9s and london trains as platinum livery. With the election i feel its guna be a hung parliament again... so who knows what will happen to HS2 and the railway with the new gov

Bob

the trainbasher

Quote from: Chris2301 on April 01, 2015, 10:24:29 PM
I could see nx taking over london midland and naming it west midlands train and painting the local lines as the new livery on the 9s and london trains as platinum livery. With the election i feel its guna be a hung parliament again... so who knows what will happen to HS2 and the railway with the new gov

they did have the LM franchise (Central Trains and Silverlink) until 2007 before the franchise alterations

Quote from: Bob on April 01, 2015, 10:27:54 PM
Hopefully a hung parliament minus the conservatives

my reckoning is Conservative UKIP coalition result

Bob

Although in fairness I hope London midland keep the chase line, their inability to collect fares from cannock on any Saturday night service ive been on in the last year has resulted in loads of free trips to brum for me and hundreds of other travellers :-D

Bob

Well as almost every poll is predicting no more than single figures ukip gains ( although I can imagine thick people might vote for them), doubt that is gonna realistically happen

Chris2301

The brum to shrewsbury line need more tph as they are over capacity on peak journeys

the trainbasher

Quote from: Matt on April 01, 2015, 10:32:12 PM
That would be great however I can't help feeling it would be more sensible to vote Conservative to ensure they have a majority and eliminate the risk of Labour

If Ed Milipede gets into number 10 I'm moving to Iceland

I concur.

Quote from: Bob on April 01, 2015, 10:31:09 PM
Although in fairness I hope London midland keep the chase line, their inability to collect fares from cannock on any Saturday night service ive been on in the last year has resulted in loads of free trips to brum for me and hundreds of other travellers :-D

And putting yourself at risk of a S5 prosecutio?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk