News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

London Buses.

Started by Stuharris 6360, November 21, 2013, 08:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CL

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 25, 2015, 01:24:37 PM
Metroline TEH1224 has been fitted with new blind technology, I understand this is called a e-ink blind. Technology similar to a kindle apparently.

Don't know if anybody knows anymore about this kind of technology!

Does anybody have a photo? Been scouring flickr for one, and found one as recent as April...
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Stuharris 6360

Only got this one, courtesy of Keith Wood
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

CL

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 27, 2015, 11:21:12 AM
Only got this one, courtesy of Keith Wood
It's certainly different, but not too noticable at the front... If i'm right, e-ink works somewhat similar to flipdot - as in, the colour will invert where the display needs to, to show correct information. ??? I fear I may be wrong, anybody frel free to correct me, but i'm sure it works along those guidelines.

the trainbasher

Didn't the merc citaro k have similar displays??

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Stu

Quote from: clayderman on June 27, 2015, 12:16:01 PM
It's certainly different, but not too noticable at the front... If i'm right, e-ink works somewhat similar to flipdot - as in, the colour will invert where the display needs to, to show correct information. ??? I fear I may be wrong, anybody frel free to correct me, but i'm sure it works along those guidelines.

As has been mentioned several times already, e-Ink is the same technology used in Amazon's Kindle e-reader device. The display will be much higher-resolution than a flip-dot display, and is more power efficient, as power is only used to refresh the display when it changes.

I don't know if it is still there, but one of the timetable boards inside a bus shelter at Oldbury Interchange used the same technology to display 'printed' timetable info.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stuharris 6360

Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Bryan

London's first double deck bus powered solely by electricity is due in service in October.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33310988

CL

@Bryan - I believe this is a concept image:

http://www.route-one.net/industry/byd-worlds-first-electric-decker/

Horrific design. Makes me want to yearn for the Optare Metrodecker.

winston

Quote from: clayderman on July 03, 2015, 05:21:32 PM
@Bryan - I believe this is a concept image:

http://www.route-one.net/industry/byd-worlds-first-electric-decker/

Horrific design. Makes me want to yearn for the Optare Metrodecker.

The styling looks a bit like the new MCV decker currently in EYMS livery

barry619

The Red Arrows were always going to go all-electric as soon as the commitment to all single-deckers in the central area being zero emission capable from 2020(?) was made. The two routes are short-distance and highly peaked, which is ideal for electric operation. No doubt there will be a bunfight between Irizar, Volvo, ADL and whoever else to get the order. Irizar UK certainly haven't appointed John Horn (formerly of Optare) for two buses, that's for sure.

As for the BBC's claim that the BYD is going to be London's first electric double-decker... don't all those trolleybuses count?!

Stuharris 6360

Stagecoach London have retained the contract to operate the 15H, but the frequency will be reduced to every 20 mins although still using 5 buses.

10 Routemasters are being "de-furbished" (returned to as near-original conition as current regulations allow) at H&D Trim in Barton Park, Eastleigh.

Stuharris 6360

Londons precious new buses seem to be having problems

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33569460

To me they should also be doing something about the heat on those vehicles, they need to rename them sweatmasters, went on a few on Saturday and felt i was being toasted alive!

Tiptonian

This problem is becoming well known because of the LT class being politicized. (I like the bus, but, official name or not, I refuse to call it a Routemaster)  Are any of the other hybrids having battery problems yet? I would be surprised if not, because, barring the milk float, time and time again throughout transport history battery technology has let us down. Either the range ends up far lower than predicted, or the battery life is far shorter. When oh when is there going to be a big trial with flywheel technology? I know TfL wish to go for all-battery operation in central London, but unless a large number of reserve vehicles are made available, with its inevitable cost, I see trouble ahead. Then again, anything that is politically motivated will be made to work no matter what the cost.

Tony

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on July 20, 2015, 12:33:05 PM
Londons precious new buses seem to be having problems

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33569460

To me they should also be doing something about the heat on those vehicles, they need to rename them sweatmasters, went on a few on Saturday and felt i was being toasted alive!

Now take out the idiot Christian Wolmar who has political reasons for his spoutings, he wants to be the next Labour Mayor of London, so anything Boris has done is bad. and you get a more balanced view on the current story. It is in the Guardian which is normally very Labour supporting, but not backing CW's claims, so I tend to think this is a fairly balanced article

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/davehillblog/2015/jul/24/boriss-bus-a-political-journey-part-44-the-flat-battery-affair?CMP=share_btn_fb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk